Nikon Monarch HG bad out of the box?

ndayton

WKR
I recently tested a pair of Nikon monarch HG 10x42's and found I was getting eye strain almost immediately, which both my wife and daughter experienced as well. I compared them to some vortex razors I had and although the Nikons were a touch brighter the razors were clearer. Has anyone had any issues with the Nikon HG's with clarity or eye strain, I have a chance to pickup another pair for a great deal and was hoping I tested bad pair since these had great reviews.
any feedback or experiences would be appreciated.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a pair and they are great. Sharp and bright. I have had Razors in the past and I think the HG’s are better than the Razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have recently bought kowa genesis 8.5x44, Leica trinovid 10x42 & Nikon monarch hg 8x42. All 3 are good. The Nikon to my eyes are between the kowa at the top & trinovid at the bottom. They’re closer to the kowa than they are the trinovid. The Nikon are bright & crystal clear so I’m thinking something is off with your pair

2blade

WKR
I just sent a pair back. They were very bright and really clear at long distance. But at about 600 yards it was really strange, almost like seeing double but not. I think I have problems with field flattener lenses, this is the second pair, not same manufacturer, that didn't work out for me, the other set did the same thing. I'm sticking with non field flatteners from here on out.

OP
ndayton

ndayton

WKR
I just sent a pair back. They were very bright and really clear at long distance. But at about 600 yards it was really strange, almost like seeing double but not. I think I have problems with field flattener lenses, this is the second pair, not same manufacturer, that didn't work out for me, the other set did the same thing. I'm sticking with non field flatteners from here on out.

I had wondered if the field flattener lenses could be causing it, just seemed weird it effected my wife and daughter also. I guess the only way to really know is to try another pair.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have recently bought kowa genesis 8.5x44, Leica trinovid 10x42 & Nikon monarch hg 8x42. All 3 are good. The Nikon to my eyes are between the kowa at the top & trinovid at the bottom. They’re closer to the kowa than they are the trinovid. The Nikon are bright & crystal clear so I’m thinking something is off with your pair

The Kowa Genesis is an amazing binocular that just not get the public exposure it deserves

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
ndayton, That is a first for me on the HG's. I do some freelance work with Nikon and would be happy to help you get them sent back to be checked out if needed? Mine have been through a lot, over 50 days in the filed so far and still are better than my Euro bino's that cost a heck of a lot more. Drop me a note if I can help you out.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
The HG's have become one of my favorite go-to bino's. The only flaw I've encountered with mine is the Diopter lock ring doesn't lock. It moves up and down with little to no effort. Shouldn't happen on a $1k set of optics.

I bought the Kowas from Doug, great to do business with! I got the Nikon recently that were brand new someone was selling. The Kowas are better in most qualities. The only drawback is their weight, Nikon’s are a good bit lighter. Optically the kowa is just plain fantastic, the Nikon are really good, just not quite the kowa level. However, the Nikon is superior to the Leica trinovid to my eyes. Nikon isn’t far behind the kowa but there is a difference. I bought the Nikon so my wife/kids would leave the Kowas alone. They’re both far superior to the old Nikon monarchs I had

OP
ndayton

ndayton

WKR
ndayton, That is a first for me on the HG's. I do some freelance work with Nikon and would be happy to help you get them sent back to be checked out if needed? Mine have been through a lot, over 50 days in the filed so far and still are better than my Euro bino's that cost a heck of a lot more. Drop me a note if I can help you out.

Thanks for the offer these were a pair I picked up to try out and have already returned them, but I have a change to get a new pair at a great deal so I think I will try another set and see if the first pair were just not working right.
Thanks for all the feed back.