Vortex Viper HD 10x42 or Maven C1

Nuch21

FNG
Guy's i'm in the market for a new pair of binos, narrowed it down to the Vortex Viper HD's or the Maven C1's in 10x42.I hunt the northeast but plan on going out west next year.

ndayton

WKR
Save yourself some money and go with the Mavens, I have the Viper HD and my dad has the C1's both 10x42 and the Mavens are brighter and clearer, we had other people compare them as everyone's eyes are different and they felt the Mavens were better if they had to choose.

I think this is the third time this exact comparison has come up in the last month. I have owned both. I personally think they're both good buys, each with their pros and cons.

The C.1 has the better view hands down. Super crisp, super clear, and has a wonderful pop to the colors. They have a wow factor that most binoculars under $1k don't have. The C.1 also does much much better in low light and in glare than the Vipers from my comparisons. However, the C.1 isn't without its flaws. In order to get an optic at that price point Maven (or really the company that actually makes the C.1) had to compromise in other areas. The eye cups are pretty lame, and don't stay in the same position very well, at least for me. The Viper has much better eye cups IMO. The FOV on the C.1 is tiny as well. The FOV on the C.1 is listed at 314 vs 341 for the Vipers. The difference is noticeable IMO. The C.1 also suffers from a pretty lame depth of field where the Vipers are a bit better. I also prefer the ergonomics of the Vipers to the C.1.

I'm no expert but I've compared them quite a bit in different conditions. If it were me I would choose the C.1 but only barely. The view is so much better through the C.1 but the Vipers annoy me less since I don't have to constantly fix the eyecup location and constantly refocus.

OP
N

Nuch21

FNG
Thanks for the quick reply guys! I know Vortex has a killer warranty but don't know anything about Maven. Any input on the warranty effecting the decision?

Pretty sure Marvins warranty is every bit as good as vortex. I was looking at a uesd pair and was told by Marvin if it says Marvin it’s covered.

The Maven warranty is unconditional lifetime. It is a somewhat young company so the risk you’re taking is that Maven won’t go out of business before you need the warranty. I for one think and hope Maven will stick around.

I just bought a pair of Maven C.1’s after going through the past 3ish seasons with the Vipers. Both 10 by 42. Haven’t had any real experience with the Mavens yet. I did however upgrade for a reason. I’ll make a decision after putting them through the ringer next shed/scouting/hunting season.

C1. I just went through this question myself. My C1s are sweet. Everyone highly reviews them for a reason.

C1's are a great view. I owned a pair for a while. However they have a really narrow field of view and the eyecups won't stay put for hell. For my money, I'd buy a pair of Viper HD's and never think twice.

- - - Updated - - -

The Maven warranty is unconditional lifetime. It is a somewhat young company so the risk you’re taking is that Maven won’t go out of business before you need the warranty. I for one think and hope Maven will stick around.

Yea, well so was Alpen and so was Zen Ray. I predict Maven will be around about as long as the Zen's were.

Disagree on the tiny field of view. About 25 feet difference from the Vipers at 1000 feet. And I think Maven will be around for 5 years. By then, most guys are onto the latest and greatest. You'll see Maven is killing it if you look around.

Disagree on the tiny field of view. About 25 feet difference from the Vipers at 1000 feet. And I think Maven will be around for 5 years. By then, most guys are onto the latest and greatest. You'll see Maven is killing it if you look around.

Idaho, they may be killing it where you live, but you never see them around here.

And IMO 25' is enough to make the difference between a natural, undistracted view, and the impression you are looking through a tube. I got the "tube" effect from my C1's and grew to hate it.

The good news about optics is that the owner is the only one who has to be happy with their choice. ;)

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
I love my C1s for the price tag and find them clearer then the vipers. This was only viewing through a 300 yard field and could tell much of a difference in view.

Love my C1's as well. Compared them side by side with my buddy's Viper's and he's jealous! Maven has a demo program where you can try them out and ship them back if you don't like them.

Agross

WKR
I have no experience with the vipers but I just picked a pair of mavens These are the first pair of decent binos I have owned and I really like em. For the kind of hunting and glassing I do , I have no reason to change or upgrade.

Summary- Tons of people love the C1s. One person doesn't because of field of view. One person shared serious depth of field issues that bug them. I read so much about the C1s and was blown away at the overall very positive receiption.

matthewmt

WKR
What AGC harness fits these? I have some in bound.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
I have the C1 and also notice the narrow FOV. That said, they are a terrific bino and very nice to look through. My buddy compared his Viper HD side x side with the C1 for several weeks before deciding to sell his Viper and hang onto the C1.

That worked great until he really looked through my B2 9x and then he decided he wanted them too. He bought an 11x B2 and sold the C1 to our other friend who is very happy with them. The C1 is NOT the B2. Not even close, but they are a terrific bino, especially in the price range that they compete in.

The guys at Maven are great to talk to and very helpful. I hope that they stick around for a very long time and I see no reason why they wont.

FH