Swarovski 10x42 SLC vs. Zeiss 10x42 Conquest HD

OP
Newtosavage
If it makes you feel any better I too tried the slc's and conqests but kept the conquests. Not because I thought they were better optically, but because I felt they were a better value for the $$. For just lightly less quality and a lot less money I went with them and have been extremely happy ever since. My only complaint about them is the focus wheel, I think it moves too freely. Nearly every time I take them out of my bino harness they need adjusted. Thought I had finally found my forever binos but tried some higher power this year and just liked them so much I might have to make the switch....

I appreciate your reply but this isn't really about how I feel, or trying to justify my decision. Rather, I know a LOT of hunters probably agonize over this very decision so I thought I'd offer my experience to maybe help them out.

Two days after shipping off those SLC's, I have zero regrets. I still joyfully reach for my Zeiss Conquests and can't wait to use them, knowing full well they have some minor limitations compared to the SLC's. But for me, they are more enjoyable to USE, and that's what I personally like about them.

Conquest HD's have a broad reputation among both hunters and bird watchers as being a great value for the money. That phrase is repeated over and over again on birding sites I frequent. And I agree. They are.

Having said that, I have a pair of Meopta Meopro HD's on the way that I intend to compare directly to my Conquest HD's, and I expect the Meoptas to give them a good run for their money based on what little I've been able to find about them. I will have no qualms using a pair of Meoptas that I have only $250 invested in (having rebate $ to use), versus the Conquests I have $750 invested in, provided they give me the same experience.

I'll post up that comparison once they arrive, again - in case someone is trying to decide between them. From everything I've read, the Meopro HD's might be the only binocular under $500 that can give the Conquests a run for it's money. I intend to find out for myself.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Beauty just like binoculars is in the eye of the beholder.

The Zeiss Conquests and SFs are very crappy to my eyes. I know super scientific:)

EastMT

WKR
It’s really weird but my favorite pair of all binos are the 10x30 swaro CL. The brand new model with the huge eye lens is amazing with my glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
Beauty just like binoculars is in the eye of the beholder.

The Zeiss Conquests and SFs are very crappy to my eyes. I know super scientific:)

And you know what, that doesn't bother me at all! My wife had the exact same reaction. She was like "how could you like those so much???" LOL Meanwhile, she thought her old Leupold BX-2 Acadias were better.

Just goes to show you that there isn't a "best" but only a "best for you"

Ok, after reading several of newtosavage's posts on optics I am now certain he should save his money as he could get by very well on a pair of 1990's 9x40 Steiner Bighorns and a Weaver scope from 1985. That's my take and I'm sticking to it.

Yes, I've had the Bighorns (which I gave away...but were quite good) and still have the old Weavers..and you know what...those Weavers are 98% as good as new Leupolds which I have many of.

I have had many prs of bins too, but you know what...Leica's and Swaro's ARE better and priced accordingly. I have UPGRADED to both Leica Ultravid HD's, Swaro SLC HD's and have a pr of new 12x50 EL's coming in the mail. As you get older and wiser, you become less prone to compromising and being sorry for it later...cause you been there/done that. To each their own....but someone seems to want to crap on Swaros.

OP
Newtosavage
Ok, after reading several of newtosavage's posts on optics I am now certain he should save his money as he could get by very well on a pair of 1990's 9x40 Steiner Bighorns and a Weaver scope from 1985. That's my take and I'm sticking to it.

Yes, I've had the Bighorns (which I gave away...but were quite good) and still have the old Weavers..and you know what...those Weavers are 98% as good as new Leupolds which I have many of.

I have had many prs of bins too, but you know what...Leica's and Swaro's ARE better and priced accordingly. I have UPGRADED to both Leica Ultravid HD's, Swaro SLC HD's and have a pr of new 12x50 EL's coming in the mail. As you get older and wiser, you become less prone to compromising and being sorry for it later...cause you been there/done that. To each their own....but someone seems to want to crap on Swaros.

LOL

Pacoal, I'm sorry if my choices offend you. Don't take them personally. I don't feel the need to defend them. If you want to definitively claim that Leicas and Swaros are better, that's fine. They are better TO YOU. And that's all that matters!

I don't think I've "crapped on Swaros" anywhere in this thread or any other. If so, then that wasn't my intent. They don't suit me personally for a number of specific reasons, which I stated above. My Conquests have better resolving power to my eyes (and my daughter's, and she doesn't know either brand OR how much they cost) and a MUCH better focus wheel (just look up swaro focus wheel here and dozens of other threads in bird forums). Otherwise, the Swaros are brighter and more compact. These are just simple details and I'm not emotionally attached to any of them, or to any particular brand.

In the past month, I've owned Leica Trinovid HD's, Zeiss Conquest HD's and the Swaro SLC's. I could have kept any of them. I chose to keep the Zeiss because they suit me. Does that mean I'm "wrong?" LOL Nope. Only wrong for you.

Carry on friend.

Oh, in case it interests you, I have a pair of used Swaro SLC 8x30's in the mail and can't wait to use them. I've always wanted to try a pair of those. ;)

OP
Newtosavage
You mentioned that you didn't like the location of the focus wheel. Where would you want it?

In the SLC, it's very close to the eyecups. At times, I was touching my brow while working the focus wheel. It just seemed to be in an odd location. Most binoculars have the focus wheel closer to the midpoint of the binocular. I understand why they put it there, but I found myself reaching for the focus wheel with my index finger and finding the bridge quite often.

N2TRKYS

WKR
In the SLC, it's very close to the eyecups. At times, I was touching my brow while working the focus wheel. It just seemed to be in an odd location. Most binoculars have the focus wheel closer to the midpoint of the binocular. I understand why they put it there, but I found myself reaching for the focus wheel with my index finger and finding the bridge quite often.

I don't use mine with the eyecups extended and my index finger rides naturally at the focus wheel. You must hold your binos differently. Good luck with your search.

NTS, no I don't take your opinion, right..wrong..or indifferent personally at all. Having other people look thru bins that really aren't in tune with "what" to look for in comparing high quality optics is right up there with ranking women in a beauty pageant with blind judges. You mentioned the bird forums..yes I go there and for sure THEY are the most pickiest people regarding optics quality...and that's because they KNOW what to look for when comparing high end bins that are so close in all aspects of quality it takes a VERY trained eye along with, in some cases special equipment to decipher any slight differences. That's where, in part I've learned WHAT those differences are and how/what to look for. Sorry, but my kid or brother with an untrained eye won't get any attention from me on opining how good a bin is. BTW, I know what those dedicated birders are using and it sure isn't Zeiss Conquests. Most of them like Leica over Swaro if for nothing else than the magnificent color spectrum and 3D effect in which they view birds with them and I fully agree which is why I have a pr of the Ultravid HD's.

Trial153

WKR
I am at a loss with the eye cup focas wheel issue, two SLCs and no issue. For that matter the Ziess conquests Hd I had in 8x32 I didn't have an issue either.

OP
Newtosavage
Having other people look thru bins that really aren't in tune with "what" to look for in comparing high quality optics is right up there with ranking women in a beauty pageant with blind judges.

This post just cracks me up in so many ways...

- - - Updated - - -

I am at a loss with the eye cup focas wheel issue, two SLCs and no issue. For that matter the Ziess conquests Hd I had in 8x32 I didn't have an issue either.

If you don't have an issue, that's great!

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Another this vs. that binocular thread that took a turn south ... shocker.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion guys, doesn't need to get personal.

EastMT

WKR
I sold my swaro and vortex 85, went with old school nikons. I took my ed50, ed60, ed82 over swaro and paid more all together. I say buy 3 times not once.....I like them better, can see better. If you disagree that’s ok. Im happy and that’s more important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
Tried the Leica Trinovoid HD, Conquest HD and the SLC.......for the money, kept the Leicas.....SLC is truly superb (in my eyes) but not for almost two the price. Good info fellas.......just like boots, optics are 'personal' and your mileage may vary!

OP
Newtosavage
Tried the Leica Trinovoid HD, Conquest HD and the SLC.......for the money, kept the Leicas.....SLC is truly superb (in my eyes) but not for almost two the price. Good info fellas.......just like boots, optics are 'personal' and your mileage may vary!

Among those three, there is not a "wrong" answer. I've owned all three in the past month and liked them all for one reason or another!