VX3i or VX5

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tika T3 in 06. This will be setup for the every few years trip out west.
Multi species.

My max practice range in Ohio is 300 yards. Would like to be proficient out to that range at least.

Will the VX3i serve this well?
Or should I spring for a VX5?

Also probably sticking with duplex sights and the max 10 power.

I’ve done most of my research and would like to stick with Leupold.

Thanks for the help!

If the dollars are not an obstacle I would definitely go the VX5 but the VX3i would get the job done. I have two of the 3i’s and I am very confident with them. I don’t abuse my equipment but I don’t baby it either. Both have held up through multiple seasons.

Well, if you are going to be in hunting in timber the VX-5 will give you a great FOV. The VX-3 will do everything you need it to though

BigMuleyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
For your application I believe the VX-3i would suit your needs just as well as the VX-5. However, if you want to splurge for the VX-5, more power to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing to consider on second thought is the VX-3i does not have a zero lock. I have never had my turret turn accidentally, but I check it constantly. That could definitely ruin a hunt. It's up to you if the peace of mind of a zero lock is worth the extra bucks.

For your application I believe the VX-3i would suit your needs just as well as the VX-5. However, if you want to splurge for the VX-5, more power to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing to consider on second thought is the VX-3i does not have a zero lock. I have never had my turret turn accidentally, but I check it constantly. That could definitely ruin a hunt. It's up to you if the peace of mind of a zero lock is worth the extra bucks.

While this is true, it would take a LOT of turning to make it miss a close range snap shot inside 100 yards. If you’re shooting much further that that and using the CDS dial, you’re going to at least look at the dial before taking the shot, if not make an adjustment to it.

BigMuleyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
While this is true, it would take a LOT of turning to make it miss a close range snap shot inside 100 yards. If you’re shooting much further that that and using the CDS dial, you’re going to at least look at the dial before taking the shot, if not make an adjustment to it.
I don't disagree with you, which is why I purchased the VX-3i for myself.