Spotting Scopes. 65mm vs 85mm?

I'm looking at the Razor HD line of spotters. Not interested in any other brands for the time being. I'm trying to decide between the 65mm and 85mm and want to hear people's pros/cons and any experience using both. I backpack hunt early in the season as well as truck hunt once November rolls around and I'm looking for one scope for both. I hunt in the West. I want a versatile spotter that is bright enough at first and last light to judge if an animal is a shooter or not. I don't need to be able to tell the difference between a 170 and 175 buck but I would like to be able to verify if something is either an antler or a stick out to long distances. Does the 65 Razor fit this bill or do I need to accept the weight and bulk of the 85 in order to accomplish this?

YBPS

WKR
The 85 has better light for use with a phone scope if that's important to you....

Unless you have to go uber light and pack in on foot for over 10 miles all the time, I'd go with the 85 and accept the weight penalty, it's more than worth it. You'll be happy you did. Especially if you are going to also be using it "outta the truck" too. I say this after having owned all 3 of the razor spotters. Either way you decide to go, I recommend the older gen 1 spotters. I believe they are superior to the new models. My $0.02.

tdhanses

WKR
I know you said no other brands but I would go with the Kowa 55 over either of the Vortex options, especially for what you describe. Heck the 65 is a 48x vs the 45x of the Kowa and it’s twice the weight and size plus optically inferior.

Also yes I’ve owned a Razor 65 and Swaro 80 HD, the Kowa 55 is what goes in my pack.

But if you must go with a Razor, get the 85, the 65 isn’t worth the price but the 85 isn’t either but it is better in this line.

Last edited:
OP
MuleDeerMike
Unless you have to go uber light and pack in on foot for over 10 miles all the time, I'd go with the 85 and accept the weight penalty, it's more than worth it. You'll be happy you did. Especially if you are going to also be using it "outta the truck" too. I say this after having owned all 3 of the razor spotters. Either way you decide to go, I recommend the older gen 1 spotters. I believe they are superior to the new models. My $0.02.

Superior in which way?

Superior in which way?

I think the superiority is in the build quality and functionality. Not optically. I think the attention to detail is better and I found the coarse / fine focus on the gen 1's a joy to use, much less frustrating than the new helical design. The only other thing I'll add is that if you do decide to go with a gen 1 make sure you put a dab of med (blue) loctite on the 3 screws on the inside of the eyepiece and she's good to go. It can save you from a zoom failure in the field.

OP
MuleDeerMike
I know you said no other brands but I would go with the Kowa 55 over either of the Vortex options, especially for what you describe. Heck the 65 is a 48x vs the 45x of the Kowa and it’s twice the weight and size plus optically inferior.

Also yes I’ve owned a Razor 65 and Swaro 80 HD, the Kowa 55 is what goes in my pack.

But if you must go with a Razor, get the 85, the 65 isn’t worth the price but the 85 isn’t either but it is better in this line.
How's the Kowa brightness? A 55mm lense on 45 power doesn't allow for that much light. Is the 55 Kowa brighter than the 65 Vortex when they're both at max power?

tdhanses

WKR
How's the Kowa brightness? A 55mm lense on 45 power doesn't allow for that much light. Is the 55 Kowa brighter than the 65 Vortex when they're both at max power?

Yes the Kowa will blow away the razor. The Kowa isn’t far off from my Swaro 80HD. The little Kowa is an amazing optic but it does lack fov and eyerelief but more then makes up for it’s short comings in optical clarity and resolving.

I was not impressed with the razor 65 I had.

OP
MuleDeerMike
Yes the Kowa will blow away the razor. The Kowa isn’t far off from my Swaro 80HD. The little Kowa is an amazing optic but it does lack fov and eyerelief but more then makes up for it’s short comings in optical clarity and resolving.

I was not impressed with the razor 65 I had.
Have you used the Kowa 60 or 66 at all?

tdhanses

WKR
Have you used the Kowa 60 or 66 at all?

No I haven’t but only the 55 and 88 use the pure fluorite crystals in their lenses, so these are the top optical technology Kowa sells.

- - - Updated - - -

Also another thing to consider, if you run an 85 you have to either buy a stout tripod to hold the weight or buy an expensive lighter weight tripod, 2+ lbs with head at the lightest. With the smaller lightweight Kowa you can get away using a more inexpensive or even lighter weight tripod. The KDC granite peak tripod is affordable and only weighs around 6oz, the Kowa will work with this as will binos.. So really you can drop almost 6lbs in weight from an 80+ optic and 4lbs in a 65 when you add the weight of the spotter and tripod.

With a Kowa 55 and KDC granite peak setup you’ll be around 34oz total weight. Plus have twice the remaining space in your pack as there is no bulk compared to a 65 or 85 setup.

Last edited:
OP
MuleDeerMike
No I haven’t but only the 55 and 88 use the pure fluorite crystals in their lenses, so these are the top optical technology Kowa sells.

- - - Updated - - -

Also another thing to consider, if you run an 85 you have to either buy a stout tripod to hold the weight or buy an expensive lighter weight tripod, 2+ lbs with head at the lightest. With the smaller lightweight Kowa you can get away using a more inexpensive or even lighter weight tripod. The KDC granite peak tripod is affordable and only weighs around 6oz, the Kowa will work with this as will binos.. So really you can drop almost 6lbs I’m required weight from an 80+ optic and 4lbs in a 65.

With a Kowa 55 and KDC granite peak setup you’ll be around 34oz total weight. Plus have twice the remaining space in your pack as there is no bulk compared to a 65 or 85 setup.
Ahhh okay. Makes sense looking at the prices. Thanks for the info.

tdhanses

WKR
Ahhh okay. Makes sense looking at the prices. Thanks for the info.

FYI, free shipping and no sales tax at SandS archery (unless you live in ID). They also have a 10% off Rokslide discount code Rokslide. Also give Doug a call at cameralandny and see what he can do price wise.

Just remember, you might buy a razor for $1000 - $1100 but you’ll also be spending another $300+ to get a light weight tripod and head that will work with it. Overall pricing will be similar to get you up and running and the Kowa is worth spending a little more for.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I personally would run with the 85 now keep a few things in mind is weight an issue is field of view a concern you could really pick apart each one but for me in any situation i would prefer the 85 over the 65 just to have more light transmitting and your field of view will be a big help on scanning hill sides which for me I would take over everything for field of view. The weight is not going to be much of a difference so I would leave back that extra candy bar and have a bigger scope.... BUT that's just me!