12x50 Binos under $500

JParisi48

FNG
I have been researching binos for a while now and am stuck. Vortex is giving me 50% off ANY pair of binos (MSRP) but I have been reading that some of the cheaper pairs are actually better from other brands, like Maven, than some of the more expensive Vortex optics. If I had $500 to spend, on a 12x50 (I am going to use them on the fly and from a tripod glassing, I don't have a spotting scope and just want a do it all pair) what are some good options. Keep in mind the 50% discount from Vortex. I have only ever owned 1 cheap pair of Diamond backs from Vortex so I'm sure anything would be an upgrade.

OP
J

JParisi48

FNG
Yes definitely, Just wasn't sure if other brands for around $500 have the same or better quality. I have read mixed reviews on the razors HDs.

Forest

WKR
I've kinda been turned sour on the vortex products, but for $500 I don't think you can beat the razors. in 10x42 maybe, but highly doubt it in the 12x50.

12x50 in descending order:
-swaro EL
-Leica ultravid
-Meopta Meostar (cabelas' euro)
-leica trinovid (older but still quality)
-vortex razor

I wouldn't go any other 12x50 outside of these, save up and get something of quality. If you can't afford these i'd drop down to 10 or 8 x 42

The Leupold bx4 pro guide 12x50 are pretty good too. Cheap at optics planet right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Not sure the Maven C series are even with the Vortex Razor line but hey the Vortex have that warranty going, if they are not good I’m sure you can sell them for more then $500.

If it were me with the coupon, I’d get the best ones I could from Vortex, no questions. Sure they might not hang with others in the $1000 range but you’re getting 50% off. Worth it if $500 is your budget IMO.

Try them out for a few weeks/seasons/years. If you decide they aren’t what you want sell them and get something different. Too easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Razor HD 12x50s would be your best bet as many others have said. Though optically the Razors aren't quite up to par with some of the other $1k binos (the low SN ones made in Japan are pretty dang good honestly, and reviews on Rokslide from when they came out will tell you they were great) they do have some features that make them very attractive even at high price points. They're smaller in overall size and weight than any 12x50 on the market that I'm aware of from any popular brands, and the FOV and depth of field are very good for a set of 12s. Anything else in that $500 range will not have as good a combo of image quality and FOV. I think for $500 they're a no brainer.