Toric UHD 10x42 for $458 vs Meopta Meostar 8x32 for $500

Rodéo

WKR
Toric UHD 8x42 for $458 vs Meopta Meostar 8x32 for $500

Hey guys, this is my first post asking for advise from fellow members and I'd like to start off by saying thanks to all the regular contributors for their efforts! As a new hunter this site has been an invaluable source of info and help for me getting started! I appreciate it!

Now that that's out of the way, I would consider myself a generalist hunter and being relatively new at this whole hunting thing (about 2 years into it), the highest level optics I've used in the field have been the Maven C1 10x42 and Vortex Viper HD 10x50
After selling both of those optics in order to upgrade, I've narrowed down my options to a few.
Ranked in no particular order.

1. Tract Toric UHD 10x42
Price: $458

What I'm thinking: I know almost nothing about this company. Thanks to some reviews by roksliders and the birding forums I found this direct to consumer brand and the glass comes with really great reviews so I'd like to hear some opinions from anybody who has used this set.

2. Meopta Meostar 8x32
Price: $500

What I'm thinking: These binos come with a great reputation, trustworthy warranty, and may represent a step up into the 'alpha' category of glass from some of the reviews I've seen. I would be buying this from a local dealer as a demo model so I'm going to go and take a look through them by the end of the week to see how they perform comparing to some of the other glass I've looked through. The things that concern me with this pair of binos has to do with the small objective diameter size comparing to the other options I'm looking at (namely a 42mm bino). I could really use the compact size of these as I've been waterfowl hunting recently and have come to realize how important it is to have a smaller set of binos I can whip out quickly and free hand easily. If anyone has experience using these binos in big game situations (specifically I'm mostly hunting deer and pigs in inland CA) with pretty large landscapes as CA tends to have that would be very helpful!

3. Maven C1 8x42
Price: $315

What I'm thinking: I loved the performance of these binoculars (although I had the 10x42's). They represented a huge upgrade from my first pair of binos (vortex crossfire) and I liked the feel and performance better than my more expensive Vortex viper hd 10x50's. I could save some money and go with these binoculars and put the savings towards a spotting scope.

If you guys have any other suggestions I would love to here them. My price point is right around $500 max for this one and remember that I like to do a lot of different types of hunting from bowhunting to small game to waterfowl and big game, I love it all! And I'm not looking at this time to have different sets of binos for different hunting situations (unless someone makes a damn convincing argument otherwise).

Thanks for the help if you decide to comment! Any input is appreciated!

-Rod

- - - Updated - - -

Maven B3's are also a candidate
Throwing the Leupold BX-4 HD 8x42 in the hat

Last edited:

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I'd get some quality time behind various glass of various size and first make a decision on magnification and objective size for your needs, then focus on manufacturer and price point. You're offering up apple to oranges. (Not sure how much you can "upgrade" from a Maven C1 to a Maven C1?)

As far as personal preference, if I was forced to pick a single size bino to use for all my needs it would be an 8x42, all the time, every time.

The recent black friday deal on the new Tract Toric Schott UHD's in 8x42 for $478 would have been a prime candidate for your list. Maybe hit them up and see if they'll still match it.

I haven't got to see the Tract's yet, but from all accounts, and many that I trust, they are one of the best glass per dollar on the market right now. The only real question is how long will they be around to fulfill their lifetime warranty? Are they the next Vortex on the rise for years to come, or are they the next Alpen to close their doors if their business model doesn't fly?

Last edited:
personally, I want both a full size pair of 10x42's AND a smaller pair of 8x30/32's because I'll choose one or the other, depending on where I'm hunting. When I'm climbing trees for whitetails or hiking and scouting pre-season, the 8x32's will go with me. If I expect extended glassing sessions or will be hunting with a rifle from a blind, I'll take the 10x42's.

Personally, I'd start with the 8x32's and then add the 10's when you can afford to. The 8's are more versatile IMO

kipper09

WKR
From what I understand they are backed by a businessman with some pockets. Not to say that means much one way or another. But I think there’s someone behind them who is stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I just want to know where you're getting that price on the 10x42s

I think he's quoting the website price on demo 8x42's and not 10x42's.

I'd probably be inclined to disagree with the recommendation of starting with a x32. I've been down the road of mid-size bins and still have both 32's and 42's, but with the advent of more compact full-size bin's that aren't much bigger or heavier than most 32's, the small saving in size and weight of 32's just don't outweigh the huge benefit in low-light gathering ability of 42's.
The exit pupil on an 8x32 is 4mm which is less than I want and need for low-light bowhunting conditions.

For a couple seasons I used 6x32 Vipers for bowhunting which were a nice stop-gap size and offered a generous 5.33mm exit pupil, but my new Monarch HG 8x42's are less than 3 ounces heavier and less than an inch bigger and simply out perform the 6x32's. The size and weight savings is no longer a factor. I've since liquidated many of my 30-32's.

As far as choosing a 10x vs. an 8x, I can accurately see everything with an 8x that I can with a 10x, and do it with more stability, and a much larger fov. If I can't make out what I need with an 8x then it's scope time anyway.

Not knocking having multiple bino's for multiple uses, just throwing out some advice for a guy looking for his go-to primary set.

Last edited:

maverick2

FNG
I think you need to decide what you value more -- the added light gathering ability of the 42s, or the lighter, smaller packaged offered by the 32s.

If you choose the 42s, I'd probably opt for the Tract over the Maven C1 -- I'm familiar with Maven C-series binos (just bought a pair of C.2s for my daughter) and they are nice for their price point, but when you can get a bino that performs way above it's price point (which is what the Tracts appear to do) for only $100 more, that makes a lot more sense to me.

If you choose the 32s, I'd throw the Maven B.3 8x30 into the mix with the Meopta. At $450 (demo price) they are very hard to beat. I've got the B.3 and have played around with it A LOT at dusk, comparing it to my Leica ER rifle scope. I can see animals with the B.3 long after it's too dark to find them with the Leica (and that's with cranking the mag ring down on the Leica).

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
That's right, my mistake. The price I'm looking at is for the demo 8x42's. Sorry for the confusion

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and info! It's greatly appreciated!
I went and took a look at the meostars today and while the clarity and colors were really amazing, I couldnt get over the exit pupil of the 8x32.
So Im thinking I'm now between a few 42mm options like the demo 8x42 Tract toric uhd and I've heard good things about the 8x42 Leupold BX-4's. Anybody have any first hand experience with those?

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Make sure the eyepieces fit your face. They don't fit mine at all, and that rules them out before any other feature can even be explored.

Couldn't agree more and thanks for the input.
At this point I think I'm going to order the BX-4 HD 8x42's from amazon and the Toric UHD 8x42 demos and try them both out. Going to end up returning one or both but that seems to be the best option for getting some time behind the glass and making an informed decision.