$1000 To Spend on Binos

I’ve sold my pair of Leupold Binos and am currently trying to sell my like new vortex Viper HD spotting scope so that I will have approx $1000 to spend on a bare of binos.

I am very seriously considering the Maven B.2s and then going to spend the $250 to get the optical doubler so I can have essentially have a decent light weight spotter but before spending all that money I’d like to get other thoughts on binos in that price range (including the new tract Toric Schott HT binos)

Regardless, for approx $1250 I need a system that operates like a bino/Spotter (like the b.2 plus the doubler) or a separate bino/spotter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
In general, doublers and triplets for binos are great in theory and suck in actual practice. Maybe Manen has figured out something Zeiss and Swarovski haven’t.

I don’t think you going to find what you are looking for.

If someone gave me $1000 to spend on binoculars right now in December, I’d put it in my sock drawer and add $20/ week to it until July and buy myself a used Swarovski/Leice/Zeiss top end 10x42. If I was FORCED to spend that $1000 today, I’d order the Leica 10x42 Trinovids I tested against all those Alphas. I’ve not ever looked thru a Maven but maybe they are the Alpha killers everyone keeps dreaming up...

For that money I'd get a set of tract torics and a decent little spotter. Nikon ed50, minox md50, vortex razor 50 old style etc.

Even the older torics that are on his outlet page are really really good.

Right now I am running the toric ht 8x42 with a Leupold bx4 guide pro 12x50. The Leupolds are very good Japanese glass. Obviously not alpha quality but for $500 ish that you can get them on sale for, they do just fine.

Trial153

WKR
Sorry I think that's stretching it too thin to do both. You end up trying to do too much and not getting anywhere.
Why not not take the hit on the vortex spotter...keep it and then just up grade your binoculars

Used Swarovski SLC would get my vote. I love mine and bought them used years ago and have never regretted it.

OP
T
Sorry I think that's stretching it too thin to do both. You end up trying to do too much and not getting anywhere.
Why not not take the hit on the vortex spotter...keep it and then just up grade your binoculars

The viper spotter is too heavy and I never want to put it in my backpack and pack it around with me

OP
T
For that money I'd get a set of tract torics and a decent little spotter. Nikon ed50, minox md50, vortex razor 50 old style etc.

Even the older torics that are on his outlet page are really really good.

Right now I am running the toric ht 8x42 with a Leupold bx4 guide pro 12x50. The Leupolds are very good Japanese glass. Obviously not alpha quality but for $500 ish that you can get them on sale for, they do just fine.

How do they compare to the Mavens?

My choice is the Zeiss Conquest HD and Nikon ED 50 combo.

Bought the Conquest used for $750 and I have $450 in the ED 50 and eyepiece for a total of $1200. I am very happy with my choices.

Rick M.

WKR
I am close to purchasing some binos as well, and have done quite a bit of research for the best sub-alphas under 1k. I've pretty much settled on the Meopta Meostar B1 10x42 HD. I've read many glowing reviews on these, with the only recurring complaint being the weight. I'm currently looking around for some decent prices, but most places are selling them for around $999.

--Edit--

I didn't realize you were trying to kill two birds with a 1k stone, sorry.

freebird

WKR
I love my Maven B2 9x45’s. I looked through a lot of different brands and my eyes were real happy with them

They were so close to each other. Very hard for me to pick a winner optically. Ended up selling the mavens for way more than I paid for the tract binos. Tract ones are lighter too.
How do they compare to the Mavens?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
LL Bean has been running 25% off sales on and off over the past few weeks. Monarch HG's are going for $750 shipped. Best glass going for under a grand. A steal for $750. I'd keep an eye and see if they offer it one more time before Christmas.

The Toric's mentioned above are also very highly reviewed by most everyone that's tried them. Tract offered the new Schott's in 8x42 for 30% off on black friday. ($478) Maybe reach out to them and see if they plan on offering a similar deal anytime soon. That would be too good to pass up.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Two sets of Monarch HG's in the classifieds here. One 8x42 for $650 one 10x42 for $765.

OP
T
They were so close to each other. Very hard for me to pick a winner optically. Ended up selling the mavens for way more than I paid for the tract binos. Tract ones are lighter too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you compared them during low light correct?

OP
T
LL Bean has been running 25% off sales on and off over the past few weeks. Monarch HG's are going for $750 shipped. Best glass going for under a grand. A steal for $750. I'd keep an eye and see if they offer it one more time before Christmas.

The Toric's mentioned above are also very highly reviewed by most everyone that's tried them. Tract offered the new Schott's in 8x42 for 30% off on black friday. ($478) Maybe reach out to them and see if they plan on offering a similar deal anytime soon. That would be too good to pass up.

Good call oh the HGs but looks like they are back ordered on LL beans site

OP
T
I also forgot to include that I rarely use a spotter to locate animals. I mainly utilize a spotter to get a closer look at what I can see in my binos

That’s why I originally thought the maven 2x doubler would fit my needs week