$1000 To Spend on Binos

If you are just using it to get a quick look, really the minox md50 is fantastic. They come up for $150 from time to time. Small, light, durable.
I also forgot to include that I rarely use a spotter to locate animals. I mainly utilize a spotter to get a closer look at what I can see in my binos

That’s why I originally thought the maven 2x doubler would fit my needs week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
T
If you are just using it to get a quick look, really the minox md50 is fantastic. They come up for $150 from time to time. Small, light, durable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

What about the Kowa 501? Or the Athelon Ares 7.5-22x50mm?

Forest

WKR
I too have been thinking of going to a med-power bino with a doubler. Meopta (cabelas) and maven seem to be the only ones with some "ok" feedback on the doubler. If/when I do upgrade to one of these brands I will likely order it and if I decide I don't think the doubler is worth a darn I'll just send it back.
Worst case you end up with some great binos, and then have save up for a little while for a small spotter if wanted.

I went through the 1K dilemma my self and settled on the Nikon HG's. Weight, fov, and many good reviews tipped the scales for me.

Forest

WKR
camera land has some "demo" 10x42 meostar hd at $870. Would be a strong contender in my book. Can still try the doubler if you wanted. Or put those savings into a little spotter.

enve77

WKR
I went with the maven b2 9x45 this year and great improvement for my eyes I could glass for longer periods of time with no issues! They are an awesome bono worth every penny! Also have the doubler and only used it once just to test it! Wasn't fantastic tbh but it works ok. Good luck

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What size are you looking for? 10x42? We will be running the 10x42 Meopta MeoStars this weekend for $829.99. Please give me a call and we can discuss what would be the best glass for you

OP
T
I went with the maven b2 9x45 this year and great improvement for my eyes I could glass for longer periods of time with no issues! They are an awesome bono worth every penny! Also have the doubler and only used it once just to test it! Wasn't fantastic tbh but it works ok. Good luck

Any chance you have any photos taken through the doubler?

WKR
The FOV of the doubler is pretty small, but otherwise the 9*45 and doubler system works well

You can get the current generation Swaro SLCs for $1250 or less. I bought two pair this time last year. One set for $1100 and another for a $1000.

OP
T
Well thanks to a fellow rokslide member, I was able to get a pair of new 9x45 Maven B.2s for only $799 shipped to me!

Now... the debate is weather to buy and use the doubler or use the money I saved to buy a vortex razor 50mm or Nikon 50mm spotter lol

LaHunter

WKR
I bought a set of used Swaro 10X42 slc several years ago for $1,000. It took me several months of searching for a like new pair for this price, but eventually I found them. When you are looking for good used gear at a good price (especially Swaro glass), it can take some time until the right deal comes along. And when it does you need to be ready to buy (cash available). I would give up on the 'doubler plan'. Binos and spotters are different tools for different applications, although similar. Good luck.

Well thanks to a fellow rokslide member, I was able to get a pair of new 9x45 Maven B.2s for only $799 shipped to me!

Now... the debate is weather to buy and use the doubler or use the money I saved to buy a vortex razor 50mm or Nikon 50mm spotter lol

I got my Nikon ED 50 through Amazon. It was shipped from China. I was a bit hesitant, except that Amazon's return policy is pretty good. It came without an eyepiece so I went to work looking for one. They are not easy to find. I came across a fellow who makes adapter rings so you can fit standard 1 1/4" astronomy eyepieces to these scopes, and they worked great and were very affordable. Eventually I bought a Nikon zoom eyepiece here on the classifieds, but I often still use the astronomy eyepieces for their really wide field of view. That scope went everywhere with me on my elk hunt this year, and I never even noticed it in my pack. It's lighter than my binoculars and the image quality is really good. No, it's not going to gather a ton of light but for the weight, you'd be hard pressed to find something with a better image.

Matt G.

WKR
anyone know if the meopta meostar hd are built better or equal to the cabelas euros? there seems to be a published weight difference and diopter seem different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk