Primos trigger stick tripod for a spotter?

Thess87

WKR
Hey guy I have a Nikon Monarch 82ed. Most of my spotting will be from truck window for white tails but going caribou hunting next year and need a tripod. It doesn’t have to be the best by any means since it will probably be one of the few times I need one. So I thought about getting a trigger stick so that I may have a use for it after the trip. Will a gen 3 stick work?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a primos trigger stick got it last year and I don't think it would work very well with a spotter. I don't have a very high opinion of the trigger stick as just a rifle rest so very much doubt it's stability used as something else. I have the standing model so a shorter model maybe a bit better but it could never replace my actual tripod. The trigger stick supports very little actual weight when used as your body is holding most of the rifle wieght. That Nikon is great but not very lite. A great scope needs a good tripod head and solid base to maximize it's potential. Very minimal shake can ruin the view. Slight breeze or your face touching is all it might take for movement. Just my opinion but the cheapest tripod will be more stable than trigger sticks.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
I use both the Tri-pod and Bi-pod trigger sticks for my binos and spotter. Is it the best setup? No, but they give you the flexibility to make quick changes in elevation when looking for game in large drainage's. I have the short models in both of those plus I have a short mono-pod also. I can use all three from the sitting position comfortably. Typically I only carry the Bi-pod with me when hunting and the tri-pod when I am just glassing because they are not the lightest items to carry around the mountain. I have yet to have one fail on me and I have been using these for about 4 years now.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just assumed the op was referring to the three legged trigger stick which is also the one I own.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bruno59

WKR
I have been using the short model tripod trigger stick for years first the gen1 now the gen2 they have always worked great have put binos and spotter on them and they work fine for me like the other post said not the best set up but will work this year i was sitting down looking into a field when some antelope came on the other side of the field just picked up the trigger stick released the trigger legs adjusted to the uneven ground put gun up and shot a real nice antelope

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the tripod guys. A full size spotter or heck, any spotter needs a rock solid foundation to get the most out of it. Get a bogpod with attachments and you will have all you need. I use mine for my Nikon ED50 which is a compact spotter but works great with my bogpod.