The 'BEST' Binoculars

brocksw

WKR
I just got off the phone with a Swaro usa service rep who definitely knew his products. We chatted for 20 minutes after he told me there would be no charge to fully service my 23 year old 8x30's (that I picked up in a garage sale). Will Maven or Vortex be around in 23 years? I hope so but there is always that unknown to factor in to a high dollar purchase decision which hasnt been mentioned on this thread. Also I believe the ones with benchmark service hold their value better. Its always nice to now that the 1 2 or 3 grand we spent on binos will pay off in long run. I think Swaro is the benchmark for not only quality but service.

But getting to the point..this is what I was told during the chat:

El vs SLC: SLC never has had a special filter coating that supposedly improves contrast. This contrast diff is not documented on their side. He said many people have compared SLC to EL not knowing which versions of glass they were comparing to. The older SLC had inferior glass to the older El. The new SLC HD has better glass than an old EL. Swarobright vs non. The new version of SLC HD has the same glass as the EL SV less the field flattening lens of the EL SV. The flattening lens also improves resolution. The amount of light it blocks is negligible and rated at max 1% over the SLC. (not more % as mentioned in some posts above). The added resolution of the EL can make up for picking out detail in low light vs the SLC.

Field test comparisons: They are very subjective due to diff peoples eyesight variance and how they perceive things. He said can give the same 2 EL and SLC binos to test to 10 diff people at the same time and results will not be consistent.

The new SLC and the El both have the fast focus. The older SLC has a less expensive to manufacture focus that took more adjustment to fine tune.

The EL field pro package is the latest that has a few improved features. One is the strap attachment and the other is the locked diopter so dosent get out of adjustment by rubbing on your jacket or inadvertent handling.

The bigger the objective the more light it brings in all other things equal. He said alot of twilight hunters prefer the 50mm model.

He said that the swaro warranty is lesser than some of the competition but not on lifetime defects or workmanship. They make everything to do with their products in their own factory so they can control every aspect of manufacture. This minimizes defects and is reflected in their warranty.
I dont think I have ever seen a post where someone complained about having a defective set of swaros, or ranges for that matter. I also havent read anyone complaining about multi month waits for servicing or infact ever complaining about any of the swaro bino line! Call it the epitome of German perfection I guess!

Now my 2 cents: Would I consider the other top 2 of the 3 over Swaro? No. Would I consider a $1000 Maven over an equiv power $2600 swaro?Yes. Would I look at a pair of 8x30 pocket Mavens over Swaro equiv? Definitely.
If you were looking at the 15x56 SLC, it does have a higher light transmission rating(93%) than the 42 SLCs(91%) and all of the EL line(90%). The 15s are, to my knowledge, the only bino swaro makes with abbe-Koenig prisms.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I was comparing apples to apples. The 10x42 swaro options only. Should have mentioned that. Personally I'd just as well wait a few mins for the light than pack around that heavy a bino. But for spotting I can see having the high mag with a good fov. Alot nicer than a spotter!

I did my “ultimate” bino test two years ago. I had the Swarovski SLC-WB 10x42, Vortex Razor-HD 10x42, Maven B2 11x45, Meopta Meopro-HD 10x42, and the Maven B1 10x42 at home for a month. (I also had Leupold Mojave 8x32s, some old Bushnell 10x42s, and an old Nikon Monarch 10x42 that didn’t really play a role in my testing.) Many factors went into deciding which binos to purchase and test. A few that I remember:

*Swaro SLC was my top dollar limit. After chatting with the Swaro NA reps at Dallas Safari Club, I decided the advantages/differences of the EL were not worth the extra money. At the time, $1800 for binos seemed crazy. Looking back now…

*They needed to be easily compatible with the Outdoorsman stud. This eliminated Leica unfortunately.

*I didn’t like the aesthetics of the Meopta Meostar. And at the time, the reviews I was reading of the Zeiss Conquest-HD were not favorable compared to the Mavens. This why Zeiss, Leica, and the Meostars were absent from my test. Looking back, I wish I had included the Ultravids, the ELs, and a top end Zeiss.

Ultimately I chose the Swarovski SLCs and it wasn’t a very difficult decision since the credit card had already been charged and I already had them at home. They are fantastic binoculars. The Maven B2s did hold up pretty well, but during last light the choice was obvious. Perhaps the B2 9x45 would have preformed a bit better. So based on my testing here are my choices for “BEST” at price points:

$1500 – Swarovski SLC-WB
Since that test two years ago I’ve fallen in love with these binoculars. They’ve been a game changer for someone coming from sub-par glass quality. Out west I can now sit behind a tripod in pure enjoyment. Sitting in a treestand in the whitetail woods, they are a phenomenal tool for picking apart detail in the thick terrain and studying antlers at low light. Just the other day my kids (3 and 5) asked me “what my favorite toy was”, “easy, my Swaros!”

$1000 – Maven B2
The 11x45 really did stand-up well to the Swarovski’s. Their larger size wasn’t a detriment while hand holding as they are really well balanced. The SLCs were clearly better in low light, and there is a large appeal to owning Swarovski’s simply for resale value and known customer service. That said the B2s beat the other $1000 glass in my test easily. To the point where the last week or so I was only comparing the SLCs to the B2s. I imagine the 9x45s would draw the low light advantage of the SLC 10x42s even closer (although then you could then consider SLC 8x42s).

[Here’s a note regarding the Maven’s that I’m hesitant to post. Please note that it is completely anecdotal and something I’ve not read in any other online reviews. The rubber armor of the demo B1s I received carried a bad odor. Similar to something saturated in cigarette smoke (which they may have been). The demo B2s I tested seemed new-in-box and carried no odor. However, the smell of the B1s gave me pause and reason to question the quality of the rubber armor used.]

$500 – Meopta Meopro-HD
At the time of my test I believe the Meopro-HDs were $800. I just confirmed you can now buy the 10x42s for $450. If nothing has changed other than price, these are a great value. Assembled in the USA, the fit and finish was second to none in my test. Optically, I thought these performed as an equal with the Vortex Razor-HDs.

My recommendation to anyone is to demo as many pairs of binoculars as they can prior to purchasing. Or buy Swarovski’s!

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Over $2000
Going with what I have used in the field on this one. Nikon EDG 10X42. I really like these and they are clear, bright and have great color contrasting. I compared them to my friends EL's and will say they are really close. The EL's do have better edge to edge and that double hinge is nice.

Over $1500
Swarovski SLC 10x42. Cant really beat the SLC's for the money.

Over $1000
Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42. In my humble opinion, these are the best bang for your buck binos on the market today. Solid in every category and retail for $1000.

Over $500
Nikon Monarch 7 are probably my favorite in this range but I haven't used them in the field for long periods of time.

Under $500
I haven't used anything below $500 but I will say that if you want a cheap pair of binos that are really nice for the price you pay Nikon Prostaff 3S or 7S. Both are great for the price starting at $130 to $200.

UTXPLR

FNG
I did my “ultimate” bino test two years ago. I had the Swarovski SLC-WB 10x42, Vortex Razor-HD 10x42, Maven B2 11x45, Meopta Meopro-HD 10x42, and the Maven B1 10x42 at home for a month. (I also had Leupold Mojave 8x32s, some old Bushnell 10x42s, and an old Nikon Monarch 10x42 that didn’t really play a role in my testing.) Many factors went into deciding which binos to purchase and test. A few that I remember:

*Swaro SLC was my top dollar limit. After chatting with the Swaro NA reps at Dallas Safari Club, I decided the advantages/differences of the EL were not worth the extra money. At the time, $1800 for binos seemed crazy. Looking back now…

*They needed to be easily compatible with the Outdoorsman stud. This eliminated Leica unfortunately.

*I didn’t like the aesthetics of the Meopta Meostar. And at the time, the reviews I was reading of the Zeiss Conquest-HD were not favorable compared to the Mavens. This why Zeiss, Leica, and the Meostars were absent from my test. Looking back, I wish I had included the Ultravids, the ELs, and a top end Zeiss.

Ultimately I chose the Swarovski SLCs and it wasn’t a very difficult decision since the credit card had already been charged and I already had them at home. They are fantastic binoculars. The Maven B2s did hold up pretty well, but during last light the choice was obvious. Perhaps the B2 9x45 would have preformed a bit better. So based on my testing here are my choices for “BEST” at price points:

$1500 – Swarovski SLC-WB
Since that test two years ago I’ve fallen in love with these binoculars. They’ve been a game changer for someone coming from sub-par glass quality. Out west I can now sit behind a tripod in pure enjoyment. Sitting in a treestand in the whitetail woods, they are a phenomenal tool for picking apart detail in the thick terrain and studying antlers at low light. Just the other day my kids (3 and 5) asked me “what my favorite toy was”, “easy, my Swaros!”

$1000 – Maven B2
The 11x45 really did stand-up well to the Swarovski’s. Their larger size wasn’t a detriment while hand holding as they are really well balanced. The SLCs were clearly better in low light, and there is a large appeal to owning Swarovski’s simply for resale value and known customer service. That said the B2s beat the other $1000 glass in my test easily. To the point where the last week or so I was only comparing the SLCs to the B2s. I imagine the 9x45s would draw the low light advantage of the SLC 10x42s even closer (although then you could then consider SLC 8x42s).

[Here’s a note regarding the Maven’s that I’m hesitant to post. Please note that it is completely anecdotal and something I’ve not read in any other online reviews. The rubber armor of the demo B1s I received carried a bad odor. Similar to something saturated in cigarette smoke (which they may have been). The demo B2s I tested seemed new-in-box and carried no odor. However, the smell of the B1s gave me pause and reason to question the quality of the rubber armor used.]

$500 – Meopta Meopro-HD
At the time of my test I believe the Meopro-HDs were $800. I just confirmed you can now buy the 10x42s for $450. If nothing has changed other than price, these are a great value. Assembled in the USA, the fit and finish was second to none in my test. Optically, I thought these performed as an equal with the Vortex Razor-HDs.

My recommendation to anyone is to demo as many pairs of binoculars as they can prior to purchasing. Or buy Swarovski’s!

concerning the meopro hd and the razor hd, were you able to compare these in a lower light setting just before sunrise or just after sunset? I have not looked through the meopro hd but I have used the razor and they are pretty bright and sharp, I have been curious about those meopros for a second set or truck set. thanks.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I always say the best is what works the best for you. I have been using Nikon MONARCH HG for about a year now and love em. Excellent clarity and the visibility in low light is amazing and just what I expect out of a pair of Nikon Bino's. I put my Euro bino's in the safe after I got these and they haven't been out since. They are definitely worth taking a look at if you are looking to spend around a grand, perhap's 1 of RS's Sponsor's can help you out too?

concerning the meopro hd and the razor hd, were you able to compare these in a lower light setting just before sunrise or just after sunset? I have not looked through the meopro hd but I have used the razor and they are pretty bright and sharp, I have been curious about those meopros for a second set or truck set. thanks.

I can’t remember if I ever had these two side by side during sunset. I had to go back and read my notes but it’s still not clear if I had them out at the same time. For twilight testing image quality (the most important aspect of my test) I had this to say about the two:
Meopta: More than adequate in the center-of-field.
Vortex: Very good resolution. Equal to the Mavens in center-of-field.

That reminded me that the biggest weakness for these two as far as image quality compared to the Maven B2 and the SLC was edge-to-edge clarity. In every other image quality category I had for the Razor and Meopro I graded them as equals. Again, my notes are unclear if I had them side-by-side during sunset though.

My conclusion between the two was that the Meopta was my pick due to superb build quality, ergonomics, and a lower price tag. Now that the Meopros are only $450, they are even easier to recommend assuming nothing else has change.
I want to buy a pair for the truck too.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend picking up excellent condition used $1000 class binoculars over new $500 class binoculars.
I have bought Zeiss Conquest HD and others in the $1000 range for around $500 lightly used.

Another bit of advice, steer clear of those $1000 Bino reviews you will see on the birding sites/others and review for yourself if you are considering glass in this price range ($800-1000). I have personally found the results are simply not true. I'm not going to name people or products. I will say that you are pretty much guaranteed excellent performance with the top end brands.

...Will Maven or Vortex be around in 23 years? I hope so but there is always that unknown to factor in to a high dollar purchase decision which hasnt been mentioned on this thread. Also I believe the ones with benchmark service hold their value better. Its always nice to now that the 1 2 or 3 grand we spent on binos will pay off in long run. I think Swaro is the benchmark for not only quality but service....

For buddies who were considering Vortex, I always brought up Alpen Optics as an alternative. Both binoculars were literally assembled in the same Chinese factory to same specification. Both brands had same quality, but Alpen could be purchased >30% less on average. Vortex spent more on marketing and were a lot more popular. After 22-years, Alpen is now out of business.

Many of these optics companies are nothing more than a marketing company or importer. Vortex and many others don’t actually own a factory, they contract manufacture overseas and then just slap their “brand” on the product.

A company that owns production is likely to be around much longer than a brand that doesn’t. That said, I really like the fact that American hands have some part in the assembly process for Mavens and Meoptas.

This year is my first season I will be using a Kramer Designs tripod. I’m hoping that accessory will help me, but I can’t wait until I can pull the trigger on some alpha glass.