The 'BEST' Binoculars

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
People ask me every week, what is the best binocular for this price range or will you do a podcast on the best binocular. So I want to kind of have a place to steer them to with this post. The fact is no one has any idea what the BEST binocular is for you and the more I hunt with different people the more I realize this fact. So if you don't mind please post below you're favorite bino's in the five price ranges. Now I need your honest opinion, not I just pulled them out of the box and they are the greatest or I got them for free/discount so I have to say they are the BEST:) And to simplify I'm talking binoculars you carry and use in a bino pouch, not 15 or 20 power binoculars. If you can't hit all five groups that's fine just tell us what you can.

Over $2000
Swarovski EL 12x50 Carried them on almost every hunt for the last three years.

Over $1500
Swarovski SLC 10x42 Like with the ELs, I just love the softer color(yellowish tint maybe) Swaro uses. Makes animals pop out when glassing.

Over $1000
Maven B2 11x45 I would pick them over the SLC if they had a better depth of field. But I'm a sucker for high Magnification.

Over $500
MeoStar B1 10x42 Might be higher if they didn't feel like I was holding a brick.

Under $500
Maven C.1 10x42 IMO nothing touches these binoculars for under $800 bucks.

Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
This will be helpful to a lot of guys for sure, Ryan. Ended up with the 12x50 MeoStars last year after chatting with you and they are THE BOMB

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

TravKatQ

WKR
Over $2000 - Swarovski EL 12x50 - I’ve only had one hunt behind them and haven’t gotten to fully put them through there paces but found myself using them over my 15’s on that hunt where we glassed all day for 7 days in the desert...

Over $1500 - Swarovski SLC 10x42 - used them for the past 2 years and nothing more clearer edge to edge in this category for me!

Under $500 - Vortex Viper HD 10x42 - Great bino for the price range, used them a deer season when my vortex razors broke, my dad and wife both run them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over $2000 - Swarovski EL 12x50 - I've only had my pair since November, but can't imagine a better bino for me currently.

Over $1500 - Swarovski SLC 10x42 - Used for the last two seasons. Every bit as good as EL's for handheld use except for the ergonomics. When I use a tripod, I can see the softness at the edges where the EL's win with the field flatteners.

Over $1000 - Meopta Meostar HD/Cabelas Euro HD 10x42 - Compared a hunting partner's set to my SLC's on several hunts. Glass seemed just slightly below the SLC's, and the ergonomics and build quality felt lower.

Under $500 - Zen Ray Prime HD 10x42 - Used for a few seasons in the past. I definitely had some eye fatigue and discomfort. Terrible customer service and build quality but not bad optically.

Over $2000
Swarovski EL 12x50 Carried them on almost every hunt for the last three years.]

Can I ask why the 12x50’s over the 15’s for Swarovski? I have the 15’s is why I ask lol...

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Over $2000
Swarovski EL 12x50 Carried them on almost every hunt for the last three years.]

Can I ask why the 12x50’s over the 15’s for Swarovski? I have the 15’s is why I ask lol...

I can’t hand hold the 15 and unless I was hunting Coues I don’t see enough difference to justify ever hauling or tripoding(is that even a word) the 15s.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Over $2000
Swarovski EL 10x42 - At the price point Swarovski's EL can't be beat

Over $1500
Swarovski SLC 10x42 - Again Swarovski SLC has the best glass for the money in this range

Over $1000
Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 - I really like how light and compact these are, and clarity at the price is excepotnetional

Under $1000
I can't recommend to many binoculars under $1,000. I think you really get what you pay for when it comes to optics.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I can’t hand hold the 15 and unless I was hunting Coues I don’t see enough difference to justify ever hauling or tripoding(is that even a word) the 15s.

Now if someone made a really good pair of lightweight 18-20x binoculars with exceptional glass.... That might change my mind. HAHA

OutdoorAg

WKR
Over $2000: EL 10X42. Just perfect to the edge. Best binocular on the planet. [I do wish they were a bit more compact]

Over $1500: SCL 10x42. Stout, well built, but not over built. [I do wish they made an SCL Field Pro - I love those objective covers]

Under $1000: Nikon Monarch HG: These are GOOOD. Really good. They won't get the pub they deserve because they say Nikon and the re-sale value will be crap, but man - a guy could buy these and be really happy. Great FOV, awesome built in objective covers, super light and compact.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Over $2000: EL 10X42. Just perfect to the edge. Best binocular on the planet. [I do wish they were a bit more compact]

Over $1500: SCL 10x42. Stout, well built, but not over built. [I do wish they made an SCL Field Pro - I love those objective covers]

Under $1000: Nikon Monarch HG: These are GOOOD. Really good. They won't get the pub they deserve because they say Nikon and the re-sale value will be crap, but man - a guy could buy these and be really happy. Great FOV, awesome built in objective covers, super light and compact.

I won’t speak for Matt(Bitterroot Bulls)but he is reviewing the Nikon HGs right now and says they are really nice.

Last edited:

n8tivenv

Lil-Rokslider
High end: Zeiss victory fl- still has the highest light transmission numbers even against the brand new models. Love the body armor, focus wheel and quality feel.
Mid: Nikon HG- feels like a fine piece of equipment to operate very crisp and HUGE field of view.

Axlrod

WKR
Totally agree with your top 2, out of all my friends we have 4 of the swaro 10x42 slc's and 3 of the 12x50 el's if you can swing it money wise its probably the best investment you can make.

Over $2000 (These sit right at $2000 street price)
Zeiss Victory 8x32 T* FL Binoculars

Zeiss Victory 8x32 T* FL Binoculars | 10% Off w/ Free Shipping and Handling

I have owned Swaro EL (10x50) and Leica Geovid HD-B (10x42) rangefinding binos. Between these, I found the Leicas to be every bit as good optically. Leica had built in rangefinding and ballistics, so they got the nod. However, both of those are too heavy and bulky for my needs. I've switched to a lighter weight 8x32 and found that these do everything I need, in a much smaller and lighter package.

Over $1500
Don't know of anything in the 1500 to 2000+ range that surpasses the over $1000 price range Kowas immediately below.

Over $1000 (Again, street price is right at $1500 for the 10.5 and about $1300 for the 8.5)
Kowa Genesis

Access Denied

Superb optics. A bit heavier than some other options, but terrific glass. Competes with "alpha" glass at half the price.

Over $500
No experience at all in this price range.

Under $500
Leupold Mojave.
I don't have much experience with under $500 binos, but I owned the Mojave binos and found them to be pretty decent. Thought they were good value for money.

Leupold BX-3 Mojave 10x50mm Roof Binocular

sneaky

"DADDY"
Over $2000
Leica HD-B 2200. Man, those things will spoil you if you can get past the weight, and the tripod adapters you have to use. I had a loaner pair this past season, hated to give them back.

Over $1500
Swaro SLC 10x42. I think they run away with it in this price range. Wish they made them in a 12x50.

Over $1000
No experience in this range really, other than some older Brunton ones that are similar to the Mavens. Euro HDs seem pretty good in this range too from the little I've played with them.

Under $500
Hawke Frontier ED 10x42. I've had a pair of these for years. For the price they will get you by and not break your budget. I think they are probably off of the same production line as the Vipers, not sure though. Still my truck binos to keep the others from getting bumped around.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

UTXPLR

FNG
curious if anyone has experience with steiner? Also curious the order of quality between the Meopta meopro HD, meostar B1 and meostar B1 HD?

ianpadron

WKR
curious if anyone has experience with steiner? Also curious the order of quality between the Meopta meopro HD, meostar B1 and meostar B1 HD?
MeoStar HD is best followed by the meostar, and finally the made-in-usa Meo Pro

I enjoy seeing meopta finally get the recognition that they deserve... They make some damn good glass

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mcr-85

WKR
I haven't handled enough high end glass to give an honest opinion on what is better. I had a pair of Vortex Viper non-hd 10x42 so there is my $500 and less bino. I upgraded to the Meopta MeoPro HD 10x42 which was more than $500 at the time. It was a step up to my eyes from the Vipers. Now I have a pair of the Zeiss Vicotry SF grey body armor model in 10x42. I think they were over $2000 new, but I bought them on close out for around $1700. They are the clearest best bino I've used. I've looked through Swaro SLCs and Leica Geovids on a few hunts with buddies and I prefer my Zeiss.

boom

WKR
the sharpest and clearest binoculars i've ever had the pleasure to look thru have been the EL 8.5x42. (or were they 8x?)

my glass is no slouch either. Leica 10x50 Ultravids. on a tripod it looks like i am watching HD TV.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
There isn't any such thing as "the best" binoculars, too much depends on the user's eyes and their ability perceive light and color. Mechanically you could say that one brand or another is better but not optically, the user might not be able to discern the differences between "the best" binocular and a cheaper pair.