Tripods - Twist Lock or Flip Lock Legs?

skunk

FNG
I'm looking at a few different tripods and one of the differentiators seems to be how the legs lock. Two options I've seen are twist lock and flip lock.

It seems to me that the twist locks may be annoying to deal with. Is it?

Which of the two options would you recommend and why?

Tag_Soup

WKR
I have never broken a twist lock. I have had issues with two flip locks. Similar dollar value tripods but none of the "super premium" brands. I prefer twist, but others mileage and experiences may vary...

sneaky

"DADDY"
Personal preference. Take care of them and they'll both serve you well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I prefer the flip locks. The main reason I like the flip locks is that when the cam lobes wear with use and time you can compensate by tightening them up to maintain proper tension to hold the legs in place(not all makes and models do this). I also find them easier to adjust in uneven terrain as opposed to the twist style. My $0.02.

Twist. I like the pods that allow you to grab all the locks in one hand at a time. Gets hung up less in pack as well.

neverquit

WKR
Fliplock. Twist locks are a pain to level out in uneven terrain and the few I’ve had have had issues with the little white sleeve thingy.

Twist. I like the pods that allow you to grab all the locks in one hand at a time. Gets hung up less in pack as well.

I am able to release all three on one leg with one hand. Either peeling with my fingers or using my thumb down to my palm to fold them all open that is when I'm running my SLIK 624 CFL. When I'm using my 824 I generally open one at a time, sometimes two though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Fliplock. Twist locks are a pain to level out in uneven terrain and the few I’ve had have had issues with the little white sleeve thingy.
Twists aren't any different to level out than flips. I can level one with twists out just as quick as one with flips.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I prefer twist locks on tripods and flip locks on trekking poles. The twist locks don't seem to hang up on my pack as much when getting it in and out. Good twist locks are quick and easy to adjust with a quarter turn. It took me a bit of practice to get used to them but now I prefer the twist locks. Honestly either one works fine for a tripod, just personal preference for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

For what it is worth Slik says that lever locks are stronger than twist locks. If you compare their specs on their website (see link) you'll see that for the Slik 624 CF model the lever locks are rated for 8.8 pounds and their twist locks are rated for 7.1 pounds. The lever lock tripod is also 0.4 pounds heavier.

Tripods – Slik USA