Review of the Kaibab HD 18x56 binocular, by Robby Denning

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
yes, I should have clarified that. I forget about the older model as I never owned it. Thanks for asking!

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders,

I'm always looking for ways to get hunters into good glass without breaking the bank. I believe "buy the best you can afford" but sometimes those last four words in that phrase leave people thinking they're dancing with the ugly step-sister.

I've used high-power tripod binoculars for a few decades now, and many different brands. To me, the high end has gotten better but the middle and low-end binoculars have also improved too.

Vortex recently replaced both their two Kaibab line offerings of the 15x56 and 20x56 with the new Kaibab HD 18x56. I used the 15x56 extensively and took at least one good buck with them. I was very happy for the price point, so when the new 18x came out, I got with Mark Boardman at Vortex to make sure I could give them a try and answer any questions for you all.

I've had them a few weeks and here are some of my initial thoughts. I'll have more testing to come, so if you'd like to follow, just subscribe at "Thread Tools" top of this post. Of course post up any questions on this thread and I'll get them answered. If you're in the SE Idaho area and would like to look through these, let me know and I'll see if I can arrange a meeting time. Here's my initial video review:

Thanks so much for this review!

jroot327

FNG
Having used the older 15s, and now testing these 18s in the vortex line, would you prefer the 18 or 15 for glassing from a tripod? Assuming you have a set of 10s for closer glassing?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Having used the older 15s, and now testing these 18s in the vortex line, would you prefer the 18 or 15 for glassing from a tripod? Assuming you have a set of 10s for closer glassing?

If you have the tens, then just jump up to the 18x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, that “Made in China” label makes these a no go.
I wish we had a good binocular that was made in USA, but I’ll pay more to have something made someplace other than China.

this message typed on an iPhone made in China :(

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that “Made in China” label makes these a no go.
I wish we had a good binocular that was made in USA, but I’ll pay more to have something made someplace other than China.

this message typed on an iPhone made in China :(

Agreed but I’d estimate you’d be paying Swaro prices for USA glass of this quality. But you wouldn’t get Swaro quality

Agreed but I’d estimate you’d be paying Swaro prices for USA glass of this quality. But you wouldn’t get Swaro quality

Made in USA would be the preference. As a second choice to USA, there are plenty of good optics coming from Japan. Maven for instance is sourcing from Japan and doing some final assembly in USA.

I’ve owned meopta meostar 15x56 and maven B5 18x56. I thought the meostars had a spectacular image. But the mavens are close enough in quality that their 18x is easily more useful at about the same price point.

Now, if Meopta, Leica, Zeiss, or Swaro made 18x the market would be different, but until then, I think the best 18x binoculars are by an American company.