Review of the Kaibab HD 18x56 binocular, by Robby Denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders,

I'm always looking for ways to get hunters into good glass without breaking the bank. I believe "buy the best you can afford" but sometimes those last four words in that phrase leave people thinking they're dancing with the ugly step-sister.

I've used high-power tripod binoculars for a few decades now, and many different brands. To me, the high end has gotten better but the middle and low-end binoculars have also improved too.

Vortex recently replaced both their two Kaibab line offerings of the 15x56 and 20x56 with the new Kaibab HD 18x56. I used the 15x56 extensively and took at least one good buck with them. I was very happy for the price point, so when the new 18x came out, I got with Mark Boardman at Vortex to make sure I could give them a try and answer any questions for you all.

I've had them a few weeks and here are some of my initial thoughts. I'll have more testing to come, so if you'd like to follow, just subscribe at "Thread Tools" top of this post. Of course post up any questions on this thread and I'll get them answered. If you're in the SE Idaho area and would like to look through these, let me know and I'll see if I can arrange a meeting time. Here's my initial video review:

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
[video=youtube_share;JcfI709RWlE]https://youtu.be/JcfI709RWlE[/video]

Last edited:

Tag_Soup

WKR
Robby,
Have you had the opportunity to look through these next to the Maven B4's? I would be curious how they stack up and if you think the additional 30% for the mavens would be worthwhile based on the mechanical and optical aspects.

Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,
Have you had the opportunity to look through these next to the Maven B4's? I would be curious how they stack up and if you think the additional 30% for the mavens would be worthwhile based on the mechanical and optical aspects.

Thanks!
Tag_Soup, no I did not get to compare the two. Sorry.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Semi-live review of the Kaibab HD 18x56 binocular, by Robby Denning

Thanks for the quick review. The “don’t send me a nasty PM” comment got me a good laugh. Glad to hear you enjoy them.

I just don’t want a dissertation on how wrong I am. I just know what my eyes are seeing!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, Roksliders. I worked with our own Matt Cashell to start testing resolving power on these different optics I'm running--will add one more (and probably the most objective) parameter to my reviews. If you're new to resloving power, it's basically a way to test how "clear" an optic is compared to other optics. Give me a break here, as I'm no optical engineer, but already I can see how this is valuable to know. Here is the Kaibab 18x56 HD against the Swaro' 15x56 SLC. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

[video=youtube_share;mUJ5yNAupSc]https://youtu.be/mUJ5yNAupSc[/video]

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Next test is twilight, so be sure and subscribe at "Thread Tools" post #1 so you receive a notification when I post.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the twilight test on the Kaibabs vs. the Swarovski SLC. No teaser here to get you to watch, but the Kaibab edged out the SLC on this test. I was surprised!
[video=youtube_share;SYoU7ZSX0FQ]https://youtu.be/SYoU7ZSX0FQ[/video]

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also testing the Viper 10x42 binoculars and the Viper 20-60x85 spotter. Watch for that thread soon on this optics forum.

Jskmtd

FNG
I met up with Robby yesterday for the opportunity to look through the 18x56 Kaibabs. He also brought along the 15x56 Swarovski binoculars so I could have a comparison. Robby hung one of his deer mounts on a corral, then we drove up on the hill to glass down. The bucks rack had some extras that were perfect to compare the 2 binoculars. The buck was somewhere in the 600-700 yard range. Looking through the Kaibabs I could make out all of the features of the bucks rack even a tine that was about one inch long. The kaibab's were very clear and appeared bright, it was about 6 pm so not a great test for brightness. I then switched to the Swarovski binoculars and again I could make out all the features of the bucks rack. After switching back and forth a couple of times I determined that the Swarovski binoculars were a little more clear, but not by a lot. We then pointed the two binoculars over to a hillside that was a mile or so away and it would have been easy to fund deer at that range with either binocular, again after switching back and forth a couple of times the Swarovski binoculars were a little bit more clear.
After looking through both binoculars side by side I'm going to get the Vortex kaibabs. I don't feel like I'm settling for the Kaibabs either, they are that close in comparison. Now if you have excess money and it won't break the bank then by all means get the Swarovski binoculars, but for me I won't feel like the Vortex aren't adequate and doing a great job.
I hope this helps if someone else is on the fence about which binocular to get.
Thanks again Robby for making the time to let me compare the binoculars.

^^^ did the same thing with Vortex vs. Zeiss. The Zeiss were a touch more "sharp" on clarity, but only because they were compared side by side. Went with the Vortex from a utility standpoint.

Agar426

FNG
I am in the same boat......best glass vs best value?!?! I've been weighing the Santiams vs. the Kaibabs for the past couple of seasons. I can't afford the Swaros, and while the Zeiss look great, I didn't like the small "window" of focus required.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I met up with Robby yesterday for the opportunity to look through the 18x56 Kaibabs. He also brought along the 15x56 Swarovski binoculars so I could have a comparison. Robby hung one of his deer mounts on a corral, then we drove up on the hill to glass down. The bucks rack had some extras that were perfect to compare the 2 binoculars. The buck was somewhere in the 600-700 yard range. Looking through the Kaibabs I could make out all of the features of the bucks rack even a tine that was about one inch long. The kaibab's were very clear and appeared bright, it was about 6 pm so not a great test for brightness. I then switched to the Swarovski binoculars and again I could make out all the features of the bucks rack. After switching back and forth a couple of times I determined that the Swarovski binoculars were a little more clear, but not by a lot. We then pointed the two binoculars over to a hillside that was a mile or so away and it would have been easy to fund deer at that range with either binocular, again after switching back and forth a couple of times the Swarovski binoculars were a little bit more clear.
After looking through both binoculars side by side I'm going to get the Vortex kaibabs. I don't feel like I'm settling for the Kaibabs either, they are that close in comparison. Now if you have excess money and it won't break the bank then by all means get the Swarovski binoculars, but for me I won't feel like the Vortex aren't adequate and doing a great job.
I hope this helps if someone else is on the fence about which binocular to get.
Thanks again Robby for making the time to let me compare the binoculars.

was glad to have your come out and compare the two, it helps me to have others opinions as well. Keep us posted on your hunts and how the Kaibabs helped out. thanks again

Beendare

WKR
Kudos......You guys did a great job on this testing.....the best that I've seen. So many of these "Reviews" are subjective.

Using the Resolution charts in side by side comparison in daylight and dusk is a fantastic way of getting a definitive measure of performance.The charts don't lie. Great testing guys.

Do you know if these are made in China...or Japan?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Beendare, thanks and the particular pair I reviewed are made in
89a773887813db0e1a0b9463326e0e0d.jpg

There’s another thread on Rokslide that sometimes these are made in Japan too. Can’t confirm nor deny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

santacruz

FNG
Thank you for this review! Much appreciated and can't wait for next season now. Mine are scheduled to arrive today. Maybe I'll finally be able to spot that Coues I've been after.

WRO

WKR
What model of 15x56 SLC's are you comparing, The NEU or the new HD?