How to Take Better Trophy Photos, By Jared Bloomgren

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Bloomgren-Jared-R.jpg

Good trophy or field photos can add so much to a hunt. Especialy years later when you want to look back or share your experience with friends and family. Jared Bloomgren has mastered the art of great trophy photos throughout his years as a hunter and he shares his opinions in his latest article.

How to Take Better Trophy Photos

Last edited by a moderator:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoyed the article. I always strive for better photos. Some people on rokslide have a real gift at photography. When I see a picture I really like I try and save it so I can review and try and recreate it when I harvest an animal. Others are clearly more artist then me so I often borrow thier ideas. I also take a bunch of photos at different angles, in this digital world it doesn't take much longer and is just more chances to get a perfect picture. Always double check your pictures before you start cutting don't just assume they are there and look good. This spring bear hunt my buddy said he'd take the field pictures afterward we just hurriedly cut the bear up. When I checked the photos at home I was a bit disappointed and at that point it's way to late.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Great read!

I really suck at taking pictures most of the time its because I forget to take them:)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most of my pics suck because I have no idea how to get my cheap Kodak digital camera to work right. Last year I took one picture of my daughter with her bull and it came out blurry, even on auto-focus. So I turned the flash on and took the same picture and it looks like it's the middle of the night........but she and the elk are clearer. I don't get it. How to get clear and correct lighting? I will say that most of the Iphone pics I've seen, come out pretty darn well.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoyed the article. I always strive for better photos. Some people on rokslide have a real gift at photography. When I see a picture I really like I try and save it so I can review and try and recreate it when I harvest an animal. Others are clearly more artist then me so I often borrow thier ideas. I also take a bunch of photos at different angles, in this digital world it doesn't take much longer and is just more chances to get a perfect picture. Always double check your pictures before you start cutting don't just assume they are there and look good. This spring bear hunt my buddy said he'd take the field pictures afterward we just hurriedly cut the bear up. When I checked the photos at home I was a bit disappointed and at that point it's way to late.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes after a series of photos at one angle I always re-check them on my display to make sure they are good to go! I too have been guilty of getting home and finding out that I did not have the pictures. It sucks!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of my pics suck because I have no idea how to get my cheap Kodak digital camera to work right. Last year I took one picture of my daughter with her bull and it came out blurry, even on auto-focus. So I turned the flash on and took the same picture and it looks like it's the middle of the night........but she and the elk are clearer. I don't get it. How to get clear and correct lighting? I will say that most of the Iphone pics I've seen, come out pretty darn well.

Really what it comes down to is having a good quality camera that will take good pictures day or night. The Nikon camera that I bought will not break the bank either and it was a package deal from Best Buy for around $700. Night pictures can turn out really well with the correct equipment and make for some cool shots. It’s all about preserving that memory so having better equipment in my opinion is a must!

Wapiti1

WKR
Any advice on lens choices? Primarily for the trophy picture.. thanks
Depends on the camera's sensor size. m4/3 10-30mm or so, APS-C 17-50mm, Full Frame 24-70mm. Or fixed focal length in those ranges. Wider will accentuate the animal. Longer will isolate better. Also play with distance from the animal. A fast aperture will blur the background better. That said, sometimes you want to show where you were as well so shoot at a small aperture like f8 or smaller.

Now, I've also used a 70-200mm because that is what I had, but I had to get back about 20 yards to get it right. I would not recommend that lens, though. Most of the time you want a sense of location and terrain in the photo along with the animal. Sometimes, that makes the photo spectacular.

It's hard to say just how you want to frame that shot when you get the opportunity.

Jeremy

Erict

WKR
Some good ideas in the article.

I have done quite well using the iPhone as long as there is adequate lighting. I would still use the forced flash even in broad daylight if the subject is wearing a brimmed hat for fill flash. The iPhone flash will likely not be enough if it's getting dark. I carry a small gorillapod and iPhone clamp and when combined with my trigger sticks can take photos high or low. I also have a tiny, wireless bluetooth remote to snap my own pics. If you use a phone to take these pics, make sure you learn how to get the subject in focus and not have it automatically focus on the hill in the distance.

Instead of water and toilet paper I bring water and paper towels (which also function as toilet paper when needed). Also, a rubber band works great to hold the mouth shut and tongue in. If time permits, take pictures first, gut after.

I am not a fan of blaze orange vests in these kinds of pictures mainly because the color is overpowering, especially if it's one large block of solid color in the middle of the picture. Even in mandatory blaze orange hunt areas, I prefer to remove the vest and keep it out of the pic.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any advice on lens choices? Primarily for the trophy picture.. thanks
Stay away form wide angle lenses like many like to use these days to make their "trophy" look larger!!! lol....Sorry pet peeve of mine. I have done really well with taking pictures using my iPhone with good lighting. The kit I bought came with a fixed power lens as well as a medium and higher zoom lens. 18-105mm, 18-55mm and a 70-300mm have all been easy to use and can take any of the pics needed. You can get really technical on various lenses but I am not a camera guru!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great article! How do you edit your photos? I start editing a photo envisioning an Eastmans cover as an end result but usually butcher it and end up hitting reset all and settling with my originals.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the great article! How do you edit your photos? I start editing a photo envisioning an Eastmans cover as an end result but usually butcher it and end up hitting reset all and settling with my originals.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
I too used to try editing more but usually end up sticking with originals. If anything I will increase the warmth only of the photo at times. If I need to edit out blood I reach out to someone who has more experience with it!
Photos can become grainy or have a hue around them when too much editing is done.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Great article that applies to more than half of the hero shots I see.

I personally don't like having the weapon of choice in the picture at all. To me it is all about the animal. I don't need street cred on what method I used.

Only thing I would add is, where possible when antlers are involved, try to get the sky as your backdrop.....it really accentuates the antlers.

spedwards

FNG
Great article that applies to more than half of the hero shots I see.

I personally don't like having the weapon of choice in the picture at all. To me it is all about the animal. I don't need street cred on what method I used.

Only thing I would add is, where possible when antlers are involved, try to get the sky as your backdrop.....it really accentuates the antlers.
I like the idea of no weapon in the frame as well. I will have to give that a try.