Need some advice/help for a rookie with a Canon 70D

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I got the great idea about 6 years ago to buy a DSLR and start filming some of my hunts and fly fishing trips. 6 years later I know less then when I started. Thinking of picking it up again, at least for this upcoming weekend. I am helping a buddy out with his elk tag and figure that my bow is probably staying on my pack for most of the trip, I might as well try to get some video and pictures.

Some basic settings I should be running for my video and for my pictures would be great. I am not looking to win awards but looking to capture the moment. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help

jspradley

WKR
Camera settings are 100% dependent on the situation you are shooting in, there's really not any way around that.

There's really no way to say "Set your camera to X for good pics" because each situation is different.

The end result that you want is a "proper" exposure to where lights and darks are "just right" so the only way to go about that is to learn how your camera behaves and go from there.

I can't recommend this book enough, it's written for beginners and Tony has a TON of info on youtube for free if you don't want to buy the book

https://northrup.photo/product/stunning-digital-photography/

If I did have to recommend a setting that will give pretty good results I'd say start out in Aperture Priority mode (I believe its Av on the dial for Canon), learn how to work your aperture for depth of field (background blur) and to control how much light you are letting in and run Auto ISO to let your camera decide ISO (sensitivity of the sensor to light)

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Camera settings are 100% dependent on the situation you are shooting in, there's really not any way around that.

There's really no way to say "Set your camera to X for good pics" because each situation is different.

The end result that you want is a "proper" exposure to where lights and darks are "just right" so the only way to go about that is to learn how your camera behaves and go from there.

I can't recommend this book enough, it's written for beginners and Tony has a TON of info on youtube for free if you don't want to buy the book

Stunning Digital Photography | Northrup.Photo

If I did have to recommend a setting that will give pretty good results I'd say start out in Aperture Priority mode (I believe its Av on the dial for Canon), learn how to work your aperture for depth of field (background blur) and to control how much light you are letting in and run Auto ISO to let your camera decide ISO (sensitivity of the sensor to light)

Thanks jspradley, will check his book out

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't consider myself very well versed in cameras but I stick mine in AV for most of the pictures I take unless its very bright or very dark. Learning what different apertures produce in photos is pretty key. Check out some videos on youtube that go over the basics

jspradley

WKR
Oh yeah! Check out the Kifarucast and Gritty Bowmen episodes on Cameras and Camera gear. Those are geared more towards the hunting side (big surprise right?!) and helped me out a lot!

Hi
I know this won't help for this weekend, PM me your address and I will send you a great entry level guide to digital photography I have on my desk.
Have a great trip

Are you wanting to film as well as shoot stills?
Video
Set frame rate to 24fps 1080p All-I
Shutter speed to 50 (always double frame rate)
White balace- auto
ISO- gonna get grainy over 800, but you can run auto iso if you want. During daylight hours run ISO as low as you can.

Focus- if auto, set to tracking mode
Or run manual. With your experience level, just run autofocus to simplify.

Aperture- depending on how cinematic you want to go.
If you want a deep depth of field, run the aperture at 22 ( not gonna work in low light unless you run your ISO way up, but it will in turn get super grainy)
Shallow depth of field with good broken, you can run at the lowest f-stop you lens(s) will allow.
Since you have to leave your shutter speed fixed, the only way to adjust exposure while filming is either ISO or aperture. Both come with trade- offs!

External microphone? If so, turn around he on board audio down to one click off the lowest setting

Photos
Due you have post processing software?
If so. Set camera to shoot in RAW format.

I always run in manual mode, but if you don't have a lot of time to play with the camera before hand, might be best to run in auto. You can tweak things in post. Just remember to USE the camera.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk