Nikon Coolpix p900

IAboy92

FNG
Hey guys,

I wanted to pick your brain on a camera for shooting hunting videos and shooting some pics while in the field. I reached out to Joel from Camera Land. I think he is a regular contributor on here, but also wanted to pick you guys's brains and see if you had any experience with this camera or had a favorite of yours that you would like to share. The camera will mostly be used for filming Iowa whitetail hunts (a lot of low light morning and night shots), but I am also planning a 2019 Colorado elk hunt that I want to use the camera for as well. The camera I have been looking at is the Nikon Coolpix p900. The reason I like this camera is the 83x zoom (I am thinking I may be able to use this as a spotting scope on my elk hunt?) and the fixed lens so that I do not have to buy several DSLR lenses and be fumbling around with them in the field when a shot presents itself at varying distances. The articulating LCD screen and wireless capabilities are also very important to me as I said before I do a lot of solo whitetail hunting. I am concerned with how much of the manual features of a DSLR I am going to lose by going with this camera? How are the low light features of this camera? Is it able to do light painting time-lapse video and other low light photography? I was also wondering what the attachment capabilities were? Can I attach a shotgun microphone or link it to personal mics? Also any recommendations on filming gimbals or other accessories for the camera would be great! What I am trying to do is to get as close to a DSLR without having to mess around with the cost and added headache of multiple lenses.

If this is not the route you would advise what other options would you suggest that would have these similar features? I am really wanting to be in the $500-600 range and then I will probably acquire another $200 in accessories over the next year or so.

Thanks for the help!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I own the Nikon coolpix 900 it’s very big and bulky for packing on a hunting trip. Also does not shoot in raw but if you are just after a camera for saving memories and posting online and such it’s a great option. If you want to do more professional photography I would not recommend it. The zoom on this camera is ridiculous. If your going to use it for long range be sure to get a good tripod. For what it is I love it. Could there be some great improvements absolutely.

There a ton of reviews on YouTube also so you can get to know it.

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
If you're never going to want to experiment with different lenses then I would say the coolpix is a decent option but something like even the d3400 in the same price range is going to be more versatile in a photography stand point. Also cameradecision.com is a helpful website you can compare it to just about every camera. Also it has a very small compact sensor versus an aps-c of a the d3400 for example

Last edited:
OP
IAboy92

IAboy92

FNG
Thanks guys! Yes it does seem like the p900 will be very limiting as far as manual features goes. I just hate the idea of fumbling around with multiple lenses in the field. Do you have any recommendations for a cheap lens for shooting video from 10-100/200 yards? I am specifically looking for a lens for Colorado elk hunting so if anyone is familiar with the terrain and what you have found that you like to use out there that would be much appreciated!

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! Yes it does seem like the p900 will be very limiting as far as manual features goes. I just hate the idea of fumbling around with multiple lenses in the field. Do you have any recommendations for a cheap lens for shooting video from 10-100/200 yards? I am specifically looking for a lens for Colorado elk hunting so if anyone is familiar with the terrain and what you have found that you like to use out there that would be much appreciated!

I think im going to be filming with a 24-105 f/4 L canon lens here in Iowa this year. Its on a crop sensor so its actually like a 38-168mm so it actually reaches pretty far. Most dslr cameras have an option to get 2 kit lenses and these are usually 18-55 and 70-200 so you would be covered in your ranges there.