New to digiscoping!!!

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Just picked up my first tripod for use with optics and I am wanting to start digiscoping. I am planning on using my phone (iPhone x). What are some of the best set ups for this? How does the two camera system work if you use a adapter like the outdoorsmans that doesn’t allow you to pick like the Phone Skope. Also any recommendations on apps to use versus the default camera to make things easier or better.

Thanks Alan

Jimss

WKR
I've pretty much switched from digiscope to higher power camera and camcorder. The quality is likely a lot better plus I can zoom in just as close or closer. I use a Panasonic HDC-TM60 camcorder with 35x lens that will fit in a large pocket. I also have a Canon SD60 HS camera that has a 65x lens that takes great photos and HD video. It's nice to take photos/videos with these and take them home to watch on the big screen!

I’m interested in this too and also have an iPhone X. Exact same dilemma as you too - I’m looking at the Outdoorsmans phone adapter for the iPhone X (back-ordered) or the Phone Skope (available now).

The reviews I’ve read on the Phone Skope app that they recommend you use are not good for those that have the iPhone X. Not sure if this is accurate for all iPhone X users though ...

I figure if I’m carrying my iPhone with me at all times, why not use it for digiscoping? It takes quality pictures, so maybe I don’t understand how the “quality” of the image would be since I’ve never used it?

Subscribing to this thread and hoping someone else will comment who owns a Phone Skope or Outdoorsmans case and adapter for Binoculars or Spotter. Thanks!

Jimss

WKR
I agree 100% that it sure would be nice to use an iPhone if you are already carrying it around. I'm sure Iphones will improve with time but there is a lot lacking vs quality zoom lenses! Look at the size of the lens on an iPhone vs even a pocket-sized camera. Have you ever looked long distance through a Swaro spotting scope when it's hot or there is a lot of moisture in the air? Lots of distortion and heat waves. Generally speaking the more glass you are taking a photo through the worse the quality photos. Also, in most cases, a larger diameter lense generally allows a lot more light gathering in low light conditions than a tiny iPhone lense. Iphones work ok but quality zoom lenses generally will take a lot better quality pics! If the pics you take with an iPhone are adequate and work for you....great!

If you want to look it up....there was a guy that started a post a year or 2 ago that compared digiscope photos side-by-side photos taken with a quality zoom lens camera. It opened my eyes and was the reason I switched. You might try a search to see if you can find it.