Novagrade Phone Adapter – Double Gripper released

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders, Novagrade's been a sponsor since 2016, but somehow I missed this new offering "the Double Gripper"

I video-reviewed the single grip original version earlier this year here

and Matt Cashell did a written review here

so I'm very familiar with it, but I've not tried the Double Gripper. Have any of you?

Here's the link to the Double Gripper

Looks like Novagrade also offers a retro-fit for the original single grip for just $20 here

If you've tried the Double Gripper, did you find it better, much better, than the single?

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried the double gripper yet either, but used the Novagrade Phone Adapter on an elk hunt this weekend, and it worked flawlessly with the Zeiss Harpia 85. All I had to do was change the collar from the one I used with the Swarovski ATX85, and voila: digiscoping with a different spotter.

It sure is slick.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried the double gripper yet either, but used the Novagrade Phone Adapter on an elk hunt this weekend, and it worked flawlessly with the Zeiss Harpia 85. All I had to do was change the collar from the one I used with the Swarovski ATX85, and voila: digiscoping with a different spotter.

It sure is slick.

good to hear you're still using it Matt. I'll talk to NG and see if we can test the Double....

twall13

WKR
I haven't tried the double gripper but I'd be interested in hearing how it works. I have the original adapter and it works very well but with my big Pixel XL phone it can have a little more play than I want at times. I'm wondering if the double gripper would solve that minor issue. I'm subscribed to hear more.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried the double gripper but I'd be interested in hearing how it works. I have the original adapter and it works very well but with my big Pixel XL phone it can have a little more play than I want at times. I'm wondering if the double gripper would solve that minor issue. I'm subscribed to hear more.

twall13, we have one on the way to Matt Cashell to run through the paces. He'll post on this thread after he's had some experience with it

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Cashell will be trying out the new Double Gripper. He’ll post on here after he’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, Novagrade is offering this promo through December 25:

For the Double Gripper, enter coupon
code "roknova" to get 10% off all purchases.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Roksliders,

Here are my thoughts after some real field use with the Novagrade Double Gripper:

It pretty much does what the original single gripper did that I talked about in my original review here:

Novagrade Phone Adapter Review - Rokslide

... only better.

The extra gripper does aid in the repeatability of putting your phone in and out of the adapter compared to the single. The finicky adjustment issues when putting your phone into the adapter are pretty much eliminated. The Double Gripper otherwise has the very same top quality anodized aluminum build quality as the original and uses the same attachment mechanism. It is just as versatile for both the type of optic and the phone you shoot with. I sure like having the ability for two people to see the same spotting scope image in real time as well.

The downside is that then Double Gripper swells the weight of the adapter to nearly 10 ounces with a collar in, as compared to the 8 ounces of the original.

If the hunter wants the most durable, repeatable option, and is willing to haul the extra ounces, then the double gripper is a great choice. Want the same durability, but want to save the weight? The original Novagrade is for you. You can even upgrade your original single gripper to the double gripper for $20. Link is here for that option.

As for me, I think I will keep the original in the backpack for weight savings, but the double gripper is better choice for optics reviews, vehicle-based adventures, and even horseback trips. Check out the following video to see some of the footage I gathered with the Novagrade Double Gripper this year:

[video=youtube_share;LQU1VSwl2Oc]https://youtu.be/LQU1VSwl2Oc[/video]

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good review Matt, and thanks for taking the time to do the video. Question, sounds like the vignette is easier to eliminate with the double gripper? I notice with some phone adapters, by the time I use the digital zoom to eliminate the vignette, I've affected picture quality.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Good review Matt, and thanks for taking the time to do the video. Question, sounds like the vignette is easier to eliminate with the double gripper? I notice with some phone adapters, by the time I use the digital zoom to eliminate the vignette, I've affected picture quality.

With the same phone and same scope, the vignetting will be the same between the standard novagrade adapter and the double gripper. The collar system is the same on both adapters.

The Zeiss Harpia spotter’s eyepiece works better than most for digiscoping. The design’s physical design and optical attributes are well-suited to digiscoping in a number of ways, including the ability to get the camera lens extremely close to the eyepiece, which reduces vignetting.

Keeping vignetting down certainly is key to getting high quality digiscoping results.

The double gripper’s greatest feature is how repeatable and consistent it is in getting good alignment.