Which type of camera for . . .

I am a photography novice looking for better quality than my iPhone 8 for digiscoping and landscape and wildlife photography so that I can start 'hunting' year round. I've tried to research the different types but my head just spins with all the information. I understand that the skills behind the camera matter more, but I am asking for some advice on where to start with hardware.

I see lots of discussion about the mirrorless aps-c and full frame cameras with tons of lense options (and ways to spend $$$). Are these a good way to enter? I do like the compactness and simplicity of something similar to the Sony RX line. I have a good tripod/heads and great spotter already.

My priorities:
- Good enough quality to perhaps make some decent size prints
- Relatively compact and resilient for hunting and hiking trips in wet or cold weather
- Smart money investment for the long term.

That last one is the key. I think I'll be happy with an intro level camera as long as it stays useful if I decide later to really spend some money upgrading. Where is that threshold in the market?

Welcome to the world of photography. As a sponsor here we do everything we can for the members. Give me a call when you can to discuss the options that would work best for you. I am here during the week from 9-6, off this Saturday and starting Monday, other then Thanksgiving, I am here every day until Christmas

Look forward to hearing from you

Joel

Btaylor

WKR
I just recently got a Sony A6000 to keep budget in check and have the ability for pics and vids. I can throw it in my small fanny pack and still have room for the other stuff I need for treestand hunting. So far I am liking it but have a ways to go to have it really dialed in. The one for sure mistake I made was I bought mine with 2 kit lens, 16-50 and 55-210. Should have just got the body and the 18-105 G lens.

Havent bought from him yet but definitely would say it will be time well spent to have a conversation with Joel.