Digiscoping: Point & Shoot vs Phone Skope

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a Sony RX100 III with a homemade PVC adapter as my digiscoping setup and it has worked pretty well for me. I have thought about also getting a Phone Skope or something similar to pair with my iPhone 7. The reason for this is it would take up less room and my homemade PVC adapter isn't a perfect fit on my spotter so I use electrical tape to fill the small gap. Every now and then I have to replace the electrical tape which is kind of annoying. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has used both setups and which you like better and why.

Ive used one of the cheap universal adapter off amazon and its a little hard to get setup but once you have it its great to be able to snap on and off the eyepiece. It will definetly lighten up your pack as well there will be no need the carry the sony.

The camera will give you a better image as the sensor is MUCH larger then the sensor in the phone. It is worth the extra effort and space to use the camera if you want substantialy better results

Jimss

WKR
I would recommend buying a camera/camcorder with a bigger zoom lens. You'll likely get a lot better quality photos/video. It will also be a lot easier to zoom in and use....and won't have the dreaded black ring from using a spotting scope.

Bghuntersw

Lil-Rokslider
I think a Phoneskope is the best bang for your buck. Most of it is dependent on your spotting scope. I haven't seen many photos taken with a point and shoot that are that much better in my opinion.

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
That sony rx100 is an awesome point and shoot. I would think that with the right digiscope adapter it would be far better than a cell phone. I have an rx100 V and wanted to attach it to my Kowa 553 but the adapter cost is pretty high. So from that stand point the phone scope may make a little more sense. Also, being able to remotely activate the shutter could make a big difference, which may be easier on the Sony.