Learning Taxidermy/Need Hides

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all. Im learning the ropes of taxidermy on animals such as coyotes, bobcats, lions, bears, etc....The hides are the hardest part to get (Obviously Bear and Lion being the hardest). If you all harvest animals and are seeking a place to get rid of your hides if you dont use them (Instead of trash) or just dont want them, Im open to paying for shipping. Just freeze as is and box up, overnight! I also live just north of Denver if anyone is close and needs a place to get rid of hides including deer, elk, or whatever else so I can get more practice.

These practice mounts wont be sold by me and just hung in my shop as they are just for my learning but Im willing to give them back to you mounted if you pay for the materials it takes to get them done (forms, glue, tan, etc.....not paying for labor hours as again Im learning to do this and need many to practice before this becomes a business). Just dont expect perfect work quite yet if you want this haha

Thx for the consideration all!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you need these to be perfectly caped off or just portions of hides to work with, it sounds like you likely need full hides caped out? If you need caped hides do you want doe head on capes (pronghorn comes to mind)?

Edit: Sorry I've got big game on the mind which you weren't really talking much about (other than bear), are you not focusing on those at the moment?

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Hey pods8, thanks for your reply. Im focusing mostly on full bodys at the moment so coyote and even bobcat being the easier to get my hands on I mentioned those first. I would love to get a bear or lion to work on but they are hard to get. I have done a few deer and elk, non trophy of course but all bucks/bulls. From what I hear/been taught Antelope are the hardest to do of the Colorado Big Game as their hair is really hard to work with so Ill probably attempt one after I get a few more full bodies done and a bit better at shoulder mounts.

As far as the cape is concerned, I can cape it....have no problem with that. Especially if Im given a hide, no reason to have someone else do that work. A coyote for example would be ok just skinned with skull in and froze. If someone is willing to cape that makes my life easier but any gift is well appreciated!