Calling lions?

Im looking to get into hunting lions seeing as in North Central Wyoming here we have really high quotas (20-25) in the units around me. With the way rinella talks about the taste I'm wanting to add it to the freezer and I love being outside in the winter. So between December and bear season Id like to dedicate time to trying to harvest one.

So is calling a legitimate way to hunt them? I don't know shit about dogs for running cats so at the moment it's out if the realm of possibility. So I'd be left to calling or just hoping to cut fresh tracks and go from there.

I found this site with some googling and it seems legit Cougar Calling Products

But have also read of guys getting them in just trying to call coyotes. Anyone got any insight?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR
I’m trying the same thing in Idaho, waiting for snow, finding fresh track and setting up to call with coyote calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I'ver personally never called a lion in, but I have a buddy who had lions sneak in on him while calling coyotes, as well as calling in birds during spring turkey.

Stickman

FNG
We called in a cat while using bird distress calls for predators. Were talking 27 yds close. Silent as a ghost, it just stepped out of the scrub. Tasty too.....

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have found the best sounds are lion vocalization sounds. Stands if 45-60 minutes. Lions come in very slow and will watch from a couple hundred yards out for sometime, so pick a caliber for that kind of distance.

jmez

WKR
Calling is a very effective way to kill a lion. The hard part is having one in the area to hear the call. They live in big country and cover a lot of it so if you are just randomly going out and setting up chances are pretty good you won't have on in ear shot. This can be very frustrating and unproductive. They are definitely a here today and gone tomorrow animal as they move around their territory.

They will respond to both prey in distress calls and lion sounds. The lion sounds are going to be mating sequences. They have a pretty simple life, they are motivated by food and sex. Figure out which they are currently looking for and your odds go way up.

Find fresh tracks in the snow and then follow them for a ways and they will tell you what the lion is doing. Tracks moving in a relatively straight line are lions out looking for a mate, both male and female. Tracks wandering all around are lions hunting. Choose your call accordingly based on what the lion is doing.

When you find a set of fresh tracks, if possible, loop around a mile or so in front and see if you cut them again. If you do loop again. Continue to do this until you no longer find the tracks. Now you have the lion somewhere between you and where you saw the last tracks. He/she will hear the call and you should be able to kill it. If he lion has been hunting use prey sounds, whatever dominates in your area, usually deer or elk calves. If the lion is looking for a mate use the lion sounds. Females will come to the mating sequences as well as they too are territorial.

Louis and Clark wrote in their journals that Mountain Lion was the best tasting meat on the North American Continent, for what it's worth. Keep in mind that they are exceptionally likely to carry Trichinosis; so you want to be sure to cook it well.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
MT lions dont always sneak in, they will charge right up to you and or through you. I have seen this three times. Never sit on the ground while calling, stand or sit in a high chair and rest your rifle on pair of shooting sticks. Fawn or elk calf in distress, mating calls or a young male lion calling. The big toms are territorial.

I've had good luck calling them in with a fox pro. Cat in heat or other cat calls and distress calls such as dawn distress have seemed to work best for me.

Wrench

WKR
I called in a stud Tom this year during the archery elk season. He came to my bugles and raking. I was PUMPED when he came in....he came hot like a bull and vanished like houdini when I drew.

OP
mj23polaris
Thanks alot for the replies, gonna order a fox pro inferno from allpredatorcalls.com gonna pick alot of distress, lion, wolf, and what ever is left out of 75 will be various coyote calls.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk