Getting into Coyote hunting

ndbuck09

WKR
Hi guys, my wife and I want to get into coyote hunting. We have a lot to learn for sure. I'm leaning toward getting an electronic calling system but am really wanting to spend in the $2-300 range. What would ya'll recommend for that? Also, we'd like to roll at night so I'm curious what you guys like for a scope top spotlight? There's a number of them on the market so I'm curious what folks like.

Thanks!

work765

WKR
Following. I will be doing the same this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For E-callers any Foxpro or Lucky Duck will do. Or go cheaper and get an Icotech or older Primos model and load it with Steve Criner, Brushwolf Hunter, Tony Tebbe, and Boss Predator Acoustics sounds.
On most ranches/properties my buddy and I hunt we use his Lucky Duck Revolution or Revolt loaded with Rick Pallet's custom sounds.
On public land the Lucky Duck works ok, but I've had more success using more obscure custom sounds, or diaphragm calls. I use a Johnny Stewart bawl baby, and few MFK.

For lights I use Wicked and Coyote Lights with an adjustable mount.

Watch the old Randy Anderson videos, Les Johnson, and the newer "Last Stand" series by Geoff Nemnich. I find Nemnich's series the most informative. The interviews can be a little long winded but they give the best breakdown that has helped me up my success.

Any of the callers will work just get what fits your budget and has the features u want I personally run the Lucky duck Revolt and have selfed my Foxpro for 2 years now also hand calls and diaphragms have a very import place in Calling I run wicked lights for a long long time but I am switching to the optical dynamics OD40 best light I’ve hunted under by far stand set up with good wind is the key wind is king and coyotes will always end up down wind if you don’t kill them before they get there

Any of the foxpro’s are a good choice, I run mine and throw in mouth calls most of the time as well. I love my wicked lights but the coyote light isn’t a bad choice either!

Logan T

WKR
Foxpro Banshee is right there perfectly in your price range. It is just the horn and the remote, but the remote and volume range on it is a huge step up from their lower priced callers. The remote range on their lesser calls is disappointing, to say the least. I would definitely recommend getting their rechargeable lithium battery to put in the caller if you go that route.

I've been wanting a light as well. I don't have any experience with the wicked lights or coyote lights, but my cousin has a "sniper hawg light" and we've used it successfully. Maybe someone has used the sniper hawg light as well as the wicked or coyote lights and can compare??

hunter2-4

FNG
I've had problems with the range of the remote on my fox pro so has my uncle. The sound quality is great but the remote is just ok. My two cents.

JJE2MTB

FNG
I have a promos alpha dog caller that works really well. If you're just getting started, I'd recommend some hand calls. I started out with hand calls for the first 10+ years and had a blast. I still use my hand calls just about as often, and it's a lot cheaper to start out. The wicked lights are just awesome, I highly recommend those for sure

JJE2MTB

FNG
Also, depending on the area you hunt, if there is decent pressure, hand calls work better sometimes, as you can change them up a little bit, so they sounds different than all the e-calls that they usually hear

CORidgeRunner

Lil-Rokslider
I really want yo try the luckduck revolt. I have heard awesome things about em. I have a fox pro fury right now and it works ok. I don’t like the battery life on it. It has called in Dogs and Bobcats for me!

ND_muley

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of the Lucky Duck e-callers. I noticed a big difference later in the season. Foxpro has been around longer with the higher end calls and it seemed like everyone had one. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Foxpro callers as I've owned a couple and had zero problems with the units themselves. Later in the season when the dogs are educated, I've had them take off running the opposite direction as soon as I turned on my Shockwave. The Lucky Duck sounds are a little different and it isn't the same thing they've heard for 3 months straight already.

We just sold our e-caller- just have better success with hand calls and diaphragms. It is just so much easier to adapt to circumstances.
We had a foxpro fury and no complaints, other than we prefer and have more success with reeds and diaphragms.
It is awesome to hunt together!!

swede8200

FNG
Check out MFK Gamecalls on youtube. They have some good information. I agree with the FoxPro remotes being mediocre but they do sound good, IMO. It never hurts to have a hand call or two in your pocket as well. I have good luck with Verminator Predator Calls and MFK diaphragms.

Nuke Man

WKR
I have a sniper hog and coyote reaper lights. The coyote reaper is hands down a better light. Just make sure you get an adjustable beam light. Having said that, I have significantly upped my game by going to a thermal scope! It's unreal what your missing with the lights!
An E caller (fox pro is my personal favorite) and mouth call combo is hard to beat.
Also a good Tri Pod.

CP6

FNG
For E-callers any Foxpro or Lucky Duck will do. Or go cheaper and get an Icotech or older Primos model and load it with Steve Criner, Brushwolf Hunter, Tony Tebbe, and Boss Predator Acoustics sounds.
On most ranches/properties my buddy and I hunt we use his Lucky Duck Revolution or Revolt loaded with Rick Pallet's custom sounds.
On public land the Lucky Duck works ok, but I've had more success using more obscure custom sounds, or diaphragm calls. I use a Johnny Stewart bawl baby, and few MFK.

For lights I use Wicked and Coyote Lights with an adjustable mount.

Watch the old Randy Anderson videos, Les Johnson, and the newer "Last Stand" series by Geoff Nemnich. I find Nemnich's series the most informative. The interviews can be a little long winded but they give the best breakdown that has helped me up my success.

Great advice right there ! I agree with the unique/different sounds on public land. Every coyote in the country has heard Crazy Critter, Cottontail Distress, and Jackrabbit in Distress off the Foxpro program. I call more in with diaphragms or obscure sounds on heavily hunted public. Just my 2 cents.

rugerhoyt

Lil-Rokslider
Fox pro and wicked lights

We use a ton of coyote vocalizations with a few distresses thrown in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IDMONK

FNG
I see your from Idaho, note that night hunting is illegal here except on private property with written permission. Not worth losing your hunting privileges, hefty fine, and a record.