Wolf meat?

VernAK

WKR
I stalked this one and three others while they were howling late one night this past season, killed him with my bow at 40 yards. Unreal experience and I cannot wait to try again should the opportunity present itself.

attachment.php

Good job Nick!

IMO a wolf is a great hunting trophy and not just a routine predator kill.

As for "eating what I shoot"; this refers to utilizing what you kill and utilizing the fur from
this hide will make a great parka ruff for Nick.

def90

WKR
Digging up an old thread..

Randy Newberg just posted a video on youtube of him shooting a wolf this past week, his first one. He quarted it up and took out the backstraps and brought it all home. Maybe we will finally get an answer on whether wolf is good eating or not?

Phizix

FNG
Randy Newberg just posted a video on youtube of him shooting a wolf this past week, his first one. He quarted it up and took out the backstraps and brought it all home. Maybe we will finally get an answer on whether wolf is good eating or not?
I'd really like to hear his opinion on wolf meat as well.

TFrank

WKR
I skinned a wolf yesterday. I would probably eat it as a last resort to starvation...but it'd be close and I better have enough siracha to burn out my taste buds.

For those who've never skinned a wolf, the smell is simply unbelievable. I've skinned rutty bull, bears, foxes, coyote, lynx, all manner of weasels and a rotten beaver and nothing even comes close to the stench off a wolf.
Is it indescribable? I have smelled some pretty rank deceased humans. Curious if wolf has any comparisons

JGuest

FNG
As a strange side tale, I imagine wolf is similar to dog.

I've eaten dog meat, from what were basically feral dogs. Not terrible it was seared and stewed over a long period in broth. Tasted like braised beef with fat that wasn't quite the same.

Don't understand people being odd about eating various meats in here. I actually think as game meat goes deer is the least forgiving and least simple to cook. Most fatty predator meat can be slow cooked over a long period and the fat content will render out making a nice texture/flavor.

My only comment on the whole thing would be to cook cut of the meat in large roasts or large single chunks and not steak it since it will need to be completely cooked through similar to pork.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Too many diseases carried by those things for me to want to eat one. I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TomJoad

WKR
As a strange side tale, I imagine wolf is similar to dog.

I've eaten dog meat, from what were basically feral dogs. Not terrible it was seared and stewed over a long period in broth. Tasted like braised beef with fat that wasn't quite the same.

Don't understand people being odd about eating various meats in here. I actually think as game meat goes deer is the least forgiving and least simple to cook. Most fatty predator meat can be slow cooked over a long period and the fat content will render out making a nice texture/flavor.

My only comment on the whole thing would be to cook cut of the meat in large roasts or large single chunks and not steak it since it will need to be completely cooked through similar to pork.
Fully agree here. I’ve been fortunate to travel a lot in my life and have had dog on occasion in both Korea as well as China, everytime it was good. Cultures have their stigmas that are usually only supported by fears, lack of knowledge or experience. We routinely talk about horses only being good for dog food and simultaneously say we “love Italian food”... well Italians have some amazing preparations for horse you can find in some of the highest end restaurants in northern Italy. Give Cavallo Carpaccio a spin if you have the chance, you’d be surprised.

Wrench

WKR
Stuck with me and learn how to kill elk. Once you get consistent, you will get a bit cocky.....pretty soon you'll only eat good cuts and burger, no guts, no mutts, no hard feelings.

TheGDog

WKR
Coyote smells strong when you're processing it. Key is to very judiciously remove all viscera and tendon sheath (silver-skin) Then... before attempting to use whatever pieces you plan to cook next... make sure to sit them in water several times to draw out the blood within the muscle. That helps a TON in taking away that scent that is off-putting.

Since I was just doing it for shits and giggles the first time... and intended to just pan-fry the cubes of meat and give to my small dogs... I didn't really do anything special to them. Unfortunately I only had corn oil that day. I would NOT recommend frying, nor especially using the corn oil. That made it sit very "heavy" in my stomach.

Taste-wise it wasn't bad though. And that was with only frying it in corn oil. Didn't put anything on it, because it was intended for the dogs.

When I do it again, when I'm doing the soaks in water, I've learned that for those meats which have a stronger smell to them (a recent one was Ground Squirrel, for instance) that after the repeated changes of water start to not bloody-up the water so much anymore.. I'll then put a new change of water into it and then add the hottest spicing and seasoning components into that water in the plastic-ware so that meat can marinate in it. The other components/herbs will be applied as an olive-oil preparation made to a thicker sludge-like consistency. Using a silicone brush I'll evenly coat the meat. Then it's either broil or smoker.

Although another great way to attack a new meat you've never tried is also a crock-pot. Because then the long amount of time in the slow-cook really really breaks-down the meat so it's crazy soft and the flavor of all the other herbs/spices/garlic/vegetables blends in with it. I did Bobcat this way and it was AWESOME!

Great "strong" spices to counter "strong" scented meat would be either "hotter" things.... (ex: Sriracha, Whole Peppers in a crockpot, Minced Garlic, a Baja-style Habanero sauce, Tapatio) ... or darker, earthier things (ex: Cumin, Cardamom, Coarse Ground Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Annatto (aka Achiote), maybe Mild Curry) and I damn near always add Oregano and some Sweet Basil, together with Chicken Boullion, or Tomato Boullion. And if it's in a crockpot, don't forget to add a bit of Olive Oil into the water/broth. Seems like the good fats in the Olive Oil are what transport into the meat well all the flavorings you add.

Word of Caution: The viscera (the clear slimy sheathing-like coating over the muscle groups) on Coyotes (so I assume on Wolves) is a pain to get all off nicely and will take some effort.

Tradchef

WKR
Coyote and wolf taste great. It’s too bad people turn their nose up at them but are more than happy to eat stockyard pork, beef and chicken that are raised in complete shit. To each their own. I turned this young coyote into some tasty tacos for staff meal a few weeks back. Sous vide at 175 for 20hrs. Falls off the bone then chopped and folded into a spicy mole‘ with pickled onions.

Attachments

• 0385179C-3663-4CD4-BEDC-BCBEBFF88302.jpeg
    0385179C-3663-4CD4-BEDC-BCBEBFF88302.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 13424394-A6A9-4555-B837-74F52A87568B.jpeg
    13424394-A6A9-4555-B837-74F52A87568B.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 5FD67D9F-74DA-460E-9BFE-E31A66A691A3.jpeg
    5FD67D9F-74DA-460E-9BFE-E31A66A691A3.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 24
  • 23D819B4-B45C-4D8E-9DE1-341F5743B28E.jpeg
    23D819B4-B45C-4D8E-9DE1-341F5743B28E.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 24

TheGDog

WKR
Fully agree here. I’ve been fortunate to travel a lot in my life and have had dog on occasion in both Korea as well as China, everytime it was good. Cultures have their stigmas that are usually only supported by fears, lack of knowledge or experience. We routinely talk about horses only being good for dog food and simultaneously say we “love Italian food”... well Italians have some amazing preparations for horse you can find in some of the highest end restaurants in northern Italy. Give Cavallo Carpaccio a spin if you have the chance, you’d be surprised.
I always thought that the US's fascination for NOT allowing Horse Meat to be consumed by people was real dumb and weird. Here you have this naturally lowfat / high-protein critter... that grows amazingly well on it's own, let alone in a ranch setting. Total no brainer!

And I mean... even though I know personally it would take some effort for myself to overcome my own stigma in terms of consuming domestic dog. I know damn well I could and that in relatively short order... anybody would get over it.

I mean... just like those plane crash victims that *had* to consume the ones that parished, in order to survive... if you're hungry enough... ANYTHING will do!

And as one local comedian once said "Ya wanna save a species? ... Put It On The Menu!... Put It On The Menu!!!... I gaurantee you they won't let it go extinct then!"

I'm surprised no one has brought up the occurrences of Lewis and Clark's team really enjoying dog that they would get from indians and Ernest Shackleton's team really enjoying their own dogs after they couldn't feed them any longer.

I'd definitely eat a wolf. And a horse. Thought about eating my cat after she ruined my computer with water.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I shot a yote with my young son next to me.. after the shot my son says, We shoot it we got to eat it... I pulled the backstraps then onto the grill.

I haven't shot a coyote in his presence since then.

I imagine you'll go down that same type road

AndyMotz

FNG
I am hoping to give wolf a try at the end of this month. Headed to SE Alaska on a bear hunt and able to take a wolf or two. I will try it if we are successful.