Video of semi long range (450 yds) Cougar shot

jmden

WKR
[video=youtube;wMTHAz4JRdw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMTHAz4JRdw[/video]

cougar mid sized.jpg

Not sure I've ever seen a long range cougar kill, so thought I might post this as it may be somewhat unique. This was a spike bull hunt (only legal elk, w/o lottery draw tag, if hunt eastern Washington state) but turned into a cougar hunt. This was a few miles back up in designated wilderness area. We could've harvested branch antlered bulls no problem, but... A week of hard hunting and didn't even see a spike. Lots of bulls and cows/calfs and a great area we love to be in. I still have a couple options to put some elk meat in the freezer, so am still hopeful, but it's been a great year already with a good bear up high, a decent blacktail buck and this big tom. Hope you guys r filling the freezer!

Bear 2017.jpg

595 yds, -27 deg angle. Solo back in designated wilderness.

IMG_4096.jpg

Close range blacktail.

OP
jmden

jmden

WKR
Thanks, guys. Yes, the cougar seems to be great. Looks and tastes alot like pork. Still have a little psychological issue with eating cat, but working through it! ;) Taxidermist is an official SCI measurer, so when he gets the head back from the beetleboy, we'll see how big this thing actually was. Having it rugged too but will be about a year until I see that.

That cat is amazing! That’s at the top of my bucket list - a free range lion. Been predator hunting for 35 years and never had an opportunity at a lion. Zero interest in doing it with dogs. I’d like to do it exactly like you did! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jmden

jmden

WKR
Got the cat back from Fidalgo Taxidermy. Look pretty good! It's 8' long with tail and estimated 200 lbs on the hoof.

smallIMG_5457.jpg

smallIMG_5458.jpg

I think he'd take up the entire couch himself...

Agross

WKR
Very cool! Would love to shoot a mt lion. Great looking rug. What did his skull end up measuring?

K

Kootenay Hunter

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to ensure I buy a cougar tag next year, had every but in my bag, just in case!

I'm going to just you were pretty close to my neck of the woods (Kootenays), but south of the border.

OP
jmden

jmden

WKR
I haven't measured it myself but the taxidermist, an official SCI measurer, said it missed SCI/BnC by 3/8". Shot an elk this year from within just a few feet of where this cat was shot from last year.