Rifle for coyotes

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I probably should have kept it but I sold my last .22-250 bolt gun. Instead I opted to set up a .270 shooting 85gr Barnes RRLP's at around 3700fps. I already load for my 6.8 AR so I have a bunch of bullets on hand that I can use in both now (85gr RRLP's, 85gr TSX, 95gr TTSX).

Last edited:

boom

WKR
22-250. i am so bummed my brother sold that thing without talking to me first.

we had a old crusty Ruger that was a tack driver.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have used both and still do.

Anytime I think shots will be inside 200yds I use my AR. I have a DPMS Prairie Panther that has a new trigger and had the barrel lapped. It's not the most accurate AR I've shot but is plenty good for coyotes. I groups from the bench with the 55gr V max at 2964fps from the 20" barrel average 3/4" or a shade less. I use a Rapid Pivot bipod on it for hunting and it works very well. I'm really happy with the set-up, only thing I'd change is to make it like the 53gr Superformance ammo for more velocity.

I think my 223, and most shorter barreled 223 rifles, are on the edge of providing enough energy for instant kills on coyotes. That doesn't mean they don't work. I just see far more coyotes run 20-40yds or hop around and yip, bite at the wound, etc. It seems the ones hit with a 22-250 or above especially at distances over 200yds, drop in their tracks without the theatrics first. This doesn't always matter but sometimes I stay on a yote longer after the initial hit to make sure he drops if he is jumping and biting. It can cost me a shot at another coyote if I do this. Other times I've done the even worse option and switched coyotes and had the first one run off. Getting more experienced and more careful with my shots has limited this. When I remember the 223 doesn't leave much margin for error I do well with it, kinda like using a 243 on deer.

What is your load in your 223 now? Seems you could get more velocity with a 20" barrel.

Not apples to apples at all but my 22" barreled AR's are pushing the 40 grain Nosler Ballistic tips at 3580 fps. (that's off the top of my head so don't hold me to it.)

My load is;
Remington brass
CCI primers
Nosler 40 Grain BT
27.5 grains Hodgden Benchmark
C.O.A.L. is 2.26"

Depends on how you like to shoot.

I'd put money in to the scope long before the action. I've never felt hamstrung with a bolt action. I have no more interest in winging a coyote than I do with a mulie.

Agreed
As much as I hate what coyotes can do to fawns and such I would hate to see one suffer.
My wife got me a $400 gift cert at the gun shop. I may see what they have as options.

OP
MuleyFever
My local Sportsmans has a savage axis II in clearance for $270. Its a 22-250 and has a camo synthetic stock and the accu trigger. I think I'm going to grab it tomorrow.

My experience with a savage axis in 25-06 wasn't favorable.

Right now I'm shooting a savage 93 .17hmr with the 20 gr XTP until my custom savage 110 25-06 is done. Not really decided on what bullets I'm wanting to shoot, it'll be a 1:9 twist.

mcseal2

WKR
What is your load in your 223 now? Seems you could get more velocity with a 20" barrel.

Not apples to apples at all but my 22" barreled AR's are pushing the 40 grain Nosler Ballistic tips at 3580 fps. (that's off the top of my head so don't hold me to it.)

My load is;
Remington brass
CCI primers
Nosler 40 Grain BT
27.5 grains Hodgden Benchmark
C.O.A.L. is 2.26"

I'm shooting factory RAM 55gr V max loads. They are economical and shoot well in the gun. I tried several other brands of ammo loaded with 50 or 55gr V Max or Ballistic tip bullets but this is the load that was most accurate. It shot enough better than the others I never chronographed them. I load for all my bigger rifles, but figured if I could get factory ammo to shoot well enough it's cheap enough in 223 I'd just use it. I might have to try some lighter bullets I never tried anything under 50gr.

I chronographed some Ultramax reman ammo loaded with a 50gr Ballistic tip through my 20" barreled Ruger bolt action one time that averaged 2750fps for 5 shots. I think some of the reman ammo is loaded light with the military brass.

OBdelta6

FNG
I love my Savage axis in 223. Very accurate and super cheap. I don't think an AR would have killed anymore coyotes for me than the bolt.

AR is the best compromise between choosing a bolt gun and a scatter gun. run a 3-9 optic and a 45degree red dot you'll be good out to 300yd and still be able to cover the fast movers that skid home base at your feet.

hunter2-4

FNG
I have a heavy barreled AR with a 1-4 scope that I've killed so many with I lost count and I have a bolt action 6.5 I got a year ago that I've killed 12 with. Out of those coyotes I've shot with the AR I've probably shot at over half 2 or 3 times. Out of the 12 with the 6.5 I've only missed once. What I'm trying to say is that knowing you have 10 to 30 shots you can send quickly really changes how (poorly) you shoot. As far as follow up shots, until you get a lot of practice shooting something running you're just shooting and hoping the ballistic gods grant your wish.

JJE2MTB

FNG
I have both and use both. I generally prefer my bolt action howa 22-250. It is more accurate than any AR I've ever shot, it cost quite a bit less, which leaves more money for a nicer scope and plenty of practice ammo. The AR allows for quicker follow up shots, or quicker switching between targets when you call in multiple coyotes on one stand. However, with a little practice you can run a bolt gun just as fast and they are more reliable, I've had AR's jam when its -20 or colder going in and out you'll get condensation and then ice which will slow the bolt and hang up sometimes.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
I have and use an AR, a bolt gun, and a shotgun. A lot of the decision on which one goes into the field with me depends on the terrain.

For Panhandle (north Texas plains, flat as can be) - daytime: 6.5x47 Lapua bolt gun all day long. You can see the coyotes for what seems like miles, plenty of time to take shots at the ones that stall up 5-700 yds off, and more time than you need to set up on the ones that come right in

For Mixed cover and open, beanfields, dirt roads, gut piles - Day or night: AR all the way, whatever cartridge you prefer. Sometimes you'll get multipule shots, and its nice to have the ability. You're also probably not going to set up where really long shots are possible in these places

Tall grass, corn/maize/cotton fields, thick brush, Oak stands - Day or night: Shotgun all the way. Pick a light buckshot or heavy waterfowl load, and the tightest choke you can find. Be sure to pattern the load, and get a light that throws a wide beam. Close range song dogs at night with shotguns is a blast

If I could only have 1, it'd be an AR. But like Justin said, a good one isn't usually a cheap one

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
For cheap, I'd go bolt action .243 (marlin xs7 for 260 from cdnn). But a quality AR would be more effective for follow ups and doubles (6.5g, 6.8, 224v)

YBPS

WKR
I have a Rock River .223 varmit. If you go with an ar just upgrade your trigger. It's the only ar I have, as I prefer bolt guns, but for coyotes an Ar is pretty nice. I shoot nosler 50 gr ballistic tips and the gun is pretty good to 350.

SoDaky

WKR
I prefer bolts but use ARs on occasion. JP Enterprises in 204 here but spendy. Have a R River in 223 that was reasonably priced and VERY accurate.
As to bolts,for cheap likely Ruger or Savage. Savage likely more accurate in the predator model,not Axis,but many have feeding problems. (well couldn’t attach pics)

gonzaga

FNG
I've used a CZ 223 varmint to shoot tons of coyotes. I usually use 55gr vmax or 55gr Sierra bullets. Both work really well. I've used a 22-250 with good success too.
I use a 6mm Remington too, really great on looooong range coyotes. Killed on last year at 550yds eith 108gr eld bullets. But like others have said, I think it would destroy a cat.