Rifle for coyotes

Looking at getting a rifle for coyotes. I want to go as inexpensive as I can. I don't know if I should go with a bolt action or a semi-auto like an AR. Any suggestions from you guys that hunt coyotes regularly?

I just started hunting coyotes this year and I’m using an AR. Mainly because it’s what I have, but mostly because it’s what I’m familiar with.

I'm trying to get my AR out of the shop to take to AZ with me in a couple days. Between the AM and PM hunts and work I was gonna breed some dogs with my lead.
I'm sighted in but setting up the new free floater rail and some accessories is gonna change it.
I like the 223.
Not a full time dog gun, but like said- I have it.
Could use my wifes 243, but the 223 is so cheap and better on gas.

OP
MuleyFever
I mostly looking for opinions on semi-auto vs bolt from people that have used both.

OP
MuleyFever
That's why I'm considering the AR. I just don't know how often you get a good follow up on coyotes.

with the 223, the recoil is minimal as you know, and you can get back on them quicker.
Some guys will shoot out to 500 yards with these while others only a couple, I would be comfy out to 2-300 as mine is not a great AR at all, but I am getting some work done to it to increase the repeatability.
I just put that Vortex AR scope on mine with the 55 gr turret and it goes out to 500 or 600 if I remember.
I think it is the striker.?

I think the vortex AR scope you’re referring to is the strike eagle. I have this scope in the 1-6x model on my AR. So far I’ve only taken it to 300yds and it’s a pretty solid scope. I’m usimg 77gr ammo and haven’t had any issues.

MTSabo

WKR
I prefer my bolt gun. It's lighter, more comfortable to carry, can handle hotter .223 handloads, more accurate, will never malfunction due to weather, and if I'm getting up close in thick cover ill just use my shotgun for speed. It's way faster then a AR.

If you want to spend as little as possible bolt rifles in 223 tend to be shooters right out of the box. ARs have stupid heavy trigger pulls and require other upgrades to make them accurate at longer ranges.

I think the vortex AR scope you’re referring to is the strike eagle. I have this scope in the 1-6x model on my AR. So far I’ve only taken it to 300yds and it’s a pretty solid scope. I’m usimg 77gr ammo and haven’t had any issues.

I went and looked lol
It's the Spitfire AR
Its like a $200 scope.

So far its decent out to 100 . With the new front rail and floated barrel that grouping should come down and thus get me further out in ability as well.
efe33f79d21d55e79d9ea9fbc9787dfb.jpg

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Just looked at and considering a 17 wsm Savage . Cabelas has one on sale with bushnell scope for $329. Have a 243 ar and is it great but handloads are a pain to get cycling right. A 17wsm sounds pretty interesting to me with 25 gr bullets.

mcseal2

WKR
I have used both and still do.

Anytime I think shots will be inside 200yds I use my AR. I have a DPMS Prairie Panther that has a new trigger and had the barrel lapped. It's not the most accurate AR I've shot but is plenty good for coyotes. I groups from the bench with the 55gr V max at 2964fps from the 20" barrel average 3/4" or a shade less. I use a Rapid Pivot bipod on it for hunting and it works very well. I'm really happy with the set-up, only thing I'd change is to make it like the 53gr Superformance ammo for more velocity.

I think my 223, and most shorter barreled 223 rifles, are on the edge of providing enough energy for instant kills on coyotes. That doesn't mean they don't work. I just see far more coyotes run 20-40yds or hop around and yip, bite at the wound, etc. It seems the ones hit with a 22-250 or above especially at distances over 200yds, drop in their tracks without the theatrics first. This doesn't always matter but sometimes I stay on a yote longer after the initial hit to make sure he drops if he is jumping and biting. It can cost me a shot at another coyote if I do this. Other times I've done the even worse option and switched coyotes and had the first one run off. Getting more experienced and more careful with my shots has limited this. When I remember the 223 doesn't leave much margin for error I do well with it, kinda like using a 243 on deer.

If I think shots may get longer or its windy I'll take a bolt action in 22-250, or more often 243. I like the extra speed and BC, plus the extra energy if I make a less perfect shot. I really like the 70gr Ballistic tip or 75gr V max in a 243 on coyotes but they will flat ruin a bobcat if one shows up. My current 243 load is a 85gr Sierra Gameking at 3282fps. I haven't tested it on a bobcat yet, but it's a more controlled expansion design that will exit a deer or coyote most times but with a smaller exit wound. It isn't the best BC bullet but shoots awesome in my rifle where lighter bullets won't, and I like the price and terminal performance. My rifle loses a lot of velocity stepping up to a 90gr bullet with accuracy, the load it likes with a 90gr Accubond is only moving 3028fps.

I guess if I was going with one rifle today for coyotes it would likely be an AR in 22 Nosler. It has the speed that I like with the AR platform. I don't know how hard it would be on fox or bobcat, but I bet it's not perfect. Maybe my ideal today would be an AR with upppers in 22 Nosler and 204 Ruger so I could match the upper to the predator and conditions. The 45gr Hornady SP is a wicked predator bullet in 204.

Most inexpensive option today I'd go with is a Ruger American Predator in 22-250 or 243. I had one in 223 and it didn't feed well from the magazine. The 243, 22-250, and 270 ones I shot didn't have this problem.

Owenst7

WKR
Depends on how you like to shoot.

I'd put money in to the scope long before the action. I've never felt hamstrung with a bolt action. I have no more interest in winging a coyote than I do with a mulie.