Ideal pair of predator rifles, what would you pick?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
18" barrel AR in 6.5 Grendel. Mine is a Rainier Ultramatch upper/lower with JP barrel. Awesome performance on coyotes and deer. Not fur friendly, but I haven't had one run further than 40 yards even with questionable hits.

Second would probably be a shotgun. Ive got a Browning Cynergy that I really like, but 870s work.

If I was doing LR stuff I'd take my RPR in 6.5 Creed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR
c770128c06a90b368be9316044f744a7.jpg

Just this, don’t even take shotgun any more. 5.56 NATO shooting .223 53 grain v max

gumbl3

WKR
Ruger American Predator in .204 with a Burris MTAC.. Don't mind having it ride around in the truck getting dusty and a box of 50 is cheap

JLH208

WKR
08e731221c4e4a19712bda5e09533025.jpg

Now with a swagger bipod because I got tired of carrying sticks. I like to be mobile because I shed hunt at the same time

7stw

WKR
If I could only have two.....

I’ve killed a pile of fur with my 7mm-08 ackley but I also always carry my bps 10ga as well. Put a lot of dogs and bobcats on the stretcher with that combo. I use a 140 Barnes ttsx and 2oz lead BB in the scatter gun. Both hand loads my ackley is a custom
Surgeon action 20” benchmark barrel timney trigger McMillan gamescout stock with surgeon dbm
0cae3e2ba236c73e75b2585d87ac34eb.jpg
wears a nightforce 3.5-15x50 in nightforce rings. I finally found a synthetic browning 10 so I don’t have to use my nicer wood bps anymore. I’ll sometimes carry my custom 6creed or 22cheetah (rebarrled swift improved) but still more times than not grab my 08 ackley I always use a set of bogpod tripod sticks for the rifle and set with the bps where I can shoulder and shoot quickly for close dogs. I’m shooting a pattern master “goose tube” in the bps piled a bunch at over 50yards with that tube and load. Farthest one shot kill was 67 yards. I don’t like wounded yotes and I have extreme confidence in this setup. I’ve used 3.5” 12ga with success as well but the range and pattern of the 10 trump it for very little increase in recoil. No optic but did finally install a new “bright brass” bead. The combo works so well that a few calling partners have bought 10’s and my main calling partner built a close cousin to my 08 ackley the 140 Barnes surprisingly does minimal pelt damage. Although from time to time you need a spool and a half of floss to sew up a pelt. And sometimes you don’t get an exit. Noticed the same with other bullets from various makers and of different constructions as well. I shy away from light for caliber ballistic tips in every cartridge and my runners and spinners dramatically decreased. If I make a poor shot both still happen but not nearly as many as 8-10 years ago. My old 6-06 ackley with light bullets tore them up worse than 168vld’s in my 7stw does. For the southern plains where I do most of my predator management either for fun or actual damage control I prefer a 6 or 7mm of some sort for their higher bc thus better performance in the wind. I’ve killed yotes with everything from a 17 Mach V to a 375h&h and about everything between my system now works great for me. I have used .20 and .224” ar platform rifles and don’t like the increase in malfunctions and spinners and runners personally. Use what you like and go harvest a shed full of fur. Wildlife and livestock are counting on us.

Wrench

WKR
I built a 223ai that has taken coyotes into the 800s. It holds a bunch of ammo, shoots a 70rdf fast and flat and doesn't come off target at the break. I wouldn't want anything else. Here lies a coyote from its handy work. View attachment 82632