Non AR Semi Auto?

TXCO

WKR
Any recommendations for a semiauto that is not an AR in the 223 - 243 cal range?

wesfromky

WKR
By "not an AR" do you mean not scary looking black rifle, or just not an AR pattern?

If the first, I had a mini14 and they are nice. If the second, sig556, ak74, and a bunch of euro made stuff like the FN SCAR, Steyr AUG, etc.

TauPhi111

WKR
There's always the Remington 7400. Also the Benelli R1. Kel-Tec makes several models in 223 and some in 308.

MT Bill

FNG
I have multiple AR's, and an Accuracy Systems Inc mini-14. I really like the mini, after ASI upgrade it shoots groups much more inline with what one would expect from a varmint/predator rifle. I recommend looking them up!

Zebra312

FNG
In a 223 size platform, there is not another semi auto rifle I would ever recommend over, or even as an alternative to, an AR15 platform. Nothing else really comes close. At all.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Thanks for the recommendations. I had a few reasons for wanting to find in essence a more traditional rifle, just in semi-auto. I want it for predator and varmint hunting and have used a bolt action .243 in the past. I typically can never get more than 2-3 shots off anyways unless it's hail marys. I personally am not very familiar with ARs and building one, not to mention, I generally shoot better with a long barrel traditional style rifle. I dont practice with a rifle much since about 90% of my hunting is with a bow. And yea, I dont know where our country's laws will be in the future and I figured it would easiest to build a predator gun outside the AR platform (and costs).

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Your premise is flawed in every single aspect.

Zebra is right. Because of the possible long term political implications, now is actually the time to stock up on AR platforms. Once they're in the hands of the citizens, they'll stay there. It's the availability that will become difficult/expensive, so I'd jump on that bandwagon while its still reasonably priced.

Nothing will beat the accuracy of a bolt, but if quick follow up shots are a priority, the AR is a perfect platform. Recoil is minimum. I had my 3y.o. son shooting my buddies .223 AR...pretty much zero recoil = faster follow ups.

DPMS makes some great hunt-ready rifles with any barrel length you could want. Personally, I'd buy a lower (maybe even a few of them...you can get 80% lowers for real cheap), do a few hours of research, then start buying pieces to outfit it exactly how you want it. I'm personally a fan of Rainier Arms, but that's because they give me a pretty sweet military discount.

View attachment 73352

He said he shoots better with a longer barrel traditional style rifle. How can his premise be flawed in every single aspect?
Because you can buy/build a longer bbl AR pretty easily.

Because he wants faster follow ups.

Because he thinks the .gov will come confiscate an AR if they become "outlawed".

Those were most of the premises I thought were flawed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Because you can buy/build a longer bbl AR pretty easily.

Because he wants faster follow ups.

Because he thinks the .gov will come confiscate an AR if they become "outlawed".

Those were most of the premises I thought were flawed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

He also said he liked a more traditional rifle, not only the barrel length. A Mini will give just as fast follow ups and a more traditional rifle feel which he said he prefers. I don't know how you can say his preferences are flawed in that respect.

Zebra312

FNG
He prefaced that statement with the assertion that he was largely unfamiliar with the AR platform. Its a preference without basis.

There is not a single rifle out there that will do what the AR will do, with the modularity, efficiency, and accuracy the AR will do it with, at the cost the AR can do it. Even the cheapest, off the shelf AR rifle is exponentially better in every single aspect that the next best thing.

Mini 14s aren’t typically very accurate.

The AR is where it’s at for a semi auto 223, they are popular for a reason. The downside is there are so many options it’s dizzying, and in addition to tons of good components there are tons of bad components, and the same for internet advice, it is hard to wade through.

You don’t have to build from components, buying a complete upper and a complete lower doesn’t require any assembly beyond pushing two pins in.

TXCO what’s your budget?

Zebra312

FNG
How so? What platform is better than a cheap M&P Sport, PSA or DPMS? Even the cheapest of these is more accurate and reliable then any other other similarly priced rifle type, and the majority of those more expensive.

The days of having to spend $1000 to get a reliable AR are long, long gone.

Mini 14s aren’t typically very accurate.

The AR is where it’s at for a semi auto 223, they are popular for a reason. The downside is there are so many options it’s dizzying, and in addition to tons of good components there are tons of bad components, and the same for internet advice, it is hard to wade through.

You don’t have to build from components, buying a complete upper and a complete lower doesn’t require any assembly beyond pushing two pins in.

TXCO what’s your budget?

Truth.

Typically, a mini-14 which could be considered a more "tradional" rifle as compared to the AR, is just as short as most AR's. Plus they will not be as accurate. Your looking at an average 2-3 MOA out of most stock Mini 14's, or a least the one i had. Of course you could spring for the ASI upgrade for $500 just for a barrel, but your adding that on top of an average of $650 for NIB mini 14.

Other than that, there are not too many options other than the remmy 7400 & the browning BAR as far as traditional auto loaders.

I know the OP said non AR platforms, but I'd strongly suggest exploring that option due to many different options that can be. AR's are as cheap as ever now. Dont be overwhelmed, they are acutually quite simple guns.