Most memorable part of my first Wyoming pronghorn hunt... the coyotes?

jimney

FNG
Most memorable part of my first Wyoming pronghorn hunt, the coyotes!

I posted the story over in the antelope section, but wanted to add the predators here. My buddy and I filled our antelope tags in Unit 26 in Wyoming and had a few days left to knock out some dogs. We ended up with 5. The rumors are true that these dogs (on average) were much lankier than those here in Iowa. Though we did not weigh them, I am sure we had 2 close to 40. Excellent times driving all around Eastern Wyoming, looking for places to call. What a blast, even though the oxygen was thin in places! We had to learn a different style than here in Iowa, and I don't buy that they are easier to call over there, but they sure were a lot of fun!
Dog1.jpgDog2.jpg
Dog3.jpgDog4.jpg
Dog5.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome trip! I've had some good times doing the exact same thing - lots of great places to call in the Wyoming hills/plains. There's nothing like getting set up, calling, and having the hills around you light up with howls. You are certainly right about the weight; they all look very healthy.

Congrats on your very successful hunts.

wytx

WKR
We're going out after some this weekend. They are prime and ready for calling. Have a new 204 to try out and some 243 wssm loads to test as well. Might even take out the little Henry 17hmr lever action.

Nice dogs. Hope we can find the furry lopers we saw a week ago.