Rokslide Forum

T
ttucci16
In my opinion, I've never gone through a day of hunting and thought "Damn i wish these comfortable boots were lighter. 100 percent check out the Crispi Nevada, Lowa Ranger, and Lowa Tibet. All three of those boots are going to get you through 99.9% of the hunting i would do. What kind of terrain are you going to be hunting? What time of year? and how often will you be in wet weather?
Rick M.
Rick M.
Thanks so much for all of the info, it's been incredibly helpful. I will mostly be hunting in Colorado. Anywhere from archery elk to November mule deer. I have been looking at the Crispi Colorado, Lowa Tibet, and Salewa Vultur Evo / Rapace. Aftery what you said I am a bit hesitant on the Salewas though.
Rick M.
Rick M.
I do quite a bit of moving though. I like to cover a lot of ground and do a lot of glassing, so I'm basically ridge-hopping most of the time. Lots of ups and downs and side-hilling. I usually have my camp on my back as well, hence my reason for getting something a bit stiffer.
T
ttucci16
If you're doing a bunch of side hilling stick with leather. I've had boots that were synthetic, and when you're side hilling in rocky country, it will absolutely destroy a synthetic boot. This past week i had a 168 LBS pack on and if i had any lesser boot than the Lowa Tibets, i would've been screwed. If you're going to be doing a TON of up and down in steep country, you're going to want stiff.
Rick M.
Rick M.
That's exactly what I figured. I'm going to have to give those Tibets a long, hard look. Also looking at the Crispi Briksdal as well. I really wanted to try the Salewas, but I don't think they have a straight leather option. Thanks for the help. I love this forum.
T
ttucci16
With Colorado, you might want to get a little bit of insulation. 200G of insulation is equal to a thin pair of socks. I was in 19 degree weather during my elk hunt, and i had to cross a river twice a day. The Tibets were outstanding. Not a single drop of water through the boot. Gaiters are 100 percent your friend in wet weather.
T
ttucci16
It won't matter how waterproof the boot is, if you let sweat and dew come in through the top. OR Croc gaiters are the way to go. You sound like you hunt exactly like i do. Steep, deep, and with camp on your back. I went 12 miles back this season for my mule deer and my boots were the last thing i thought about due to how dependable they were.
T
ttucci16
Don't forget about good socks either. They make all the difference. Also, Leukotape is a must. My tibets are great, but even they will give me a hot spot when sidehilling a shit ton.
Rick M.
Rick M.
Yeah I learned the hard way about not carrying leukotape. My feet got annihilated in Idaho. Steep country and tons of rock. I never took an even step for 10 miles.
Rick M.
Rick M.
We definitely sound like we hunt the same way. I'm almost certain I'm going to grab some Tibets from the goHunt shop. I think the Nevadas are only a 3 on the stiffness scale, so I may order those Briksdals to test out side by side with the Tibets.
Rick M.
Rick M.
The boots are German and Italian, so I'm sure the quality will be top notch on both. It will come down to fit. You seem to have very similar issues with boots as I do, so I'm hoping if the Lowas worked out for you they will work out for me as well.
Rick M.
Rick M.
I'll grab the Tibets and the Briksdals and will end up sending one back. It sounded like you like the fit of both brands? I ran the Kuiu Yukon gaiters last season, but ended up not needing them much. Idaho was dry as hell.
T
ttucci16
Shoes.com has the Lowa Tibet HIs on sale and if you use the code NOV25, it brings the price down to $277.45.
Rick M.
Rick M.
Dude that's an awesome deal! Thank you! Do you order your Tibets true to size? Any issues with your pinky carrying heavy loads down into drainages?
T
ttucci16
I ordered a half size bigger than normal for the Tibets, But that's also because i like a lot of room in my toe box. The only time i get pinky toe problems is when i crank the ever living hell out of my laces. With the Tibets, you get the best lace locks in the industry to where you can truly have "2 Zone" lacing.
Rick M.
Rick M.
Awesome. I'll let you know how these work out. Thanks again for the convo and advice.
Rick M.
Rick M.
Forgot to ask, are you running the Tibet highs?
T
ttucci16
No i run the Tibet Mids. I had some HI's but they ended up being the wrong size, so i gave them to my buddy.
T
ttucci16
Did you end up getting the TIBETS? If so, how are you liking them?
Rick M.
Rick M.
I actually ended up with both the Briksdal SF and the Rapace. I was going to send one back, but I loved them both so much I kept them both. I'll use the Rapaces for scouting and early season, and the Briksdal SF for mid-late season. I did try on the Tibets but found them a bit wide for my foot.