Finding the load for your rifle

cnelk

WKR
I didn’t reload for many years.
I was just satisfied to go down and buy my factory ammo and sight that in and go hunt.

Then my buddy told me he would work up a couple loads for me.
Wow! I was hooked.

I then found someone that was selling all of their reloading stuff.
Dies. Beam scale. Press. Powder measurer. Tumbler. Case trimmer. And all sorts of misc items like primer trays and lube tray.

I was in heaven.

For those that are just starting out, reloading can and will make your gun shoot better.
It take some time so no need to hurry.

I recently worked up a new load for my Winchester M70 .270.
130gr Speer boat tails pushed by IMR 4064

Here you can see the difference in what just a couple grains of powder can do at 100yds

The gray tape is 1.75” wide

With just a bit more tinkering I’m betting I could do even better

Attachments

• ED875E4C-0F20-41BF-A436-1543FE24F880.jpg
    ED875E4C-0F20-41BF-A436-1543FE24F880.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 77

letrbuck

WKR
SOOOOOOOOOO satisfying when that happens!

Now keep playing until you have a bullet you really want to use but is finicky with your rifle. Then you're in for a good time ;)

elkguide

WKR
Most satisfying when you decide on a bullet, work up and find the load and then take an animal with that rifle and load.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The biggest reason I got into reloading was because it was hard to find ammo with the specific bullets that I wanted to use. And of course the cost factor was a near second. But the accuracy improvements with specific loads was a real nice surprise as well. Every one of my rifles in every caliber has been able to find that sweet spot with a specific load and components, which is always much greater accuracy than any factory loads they could shoot.