Dont mean to start a war "Match" style bullet for hunting

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Seen this on youtube and sure i should take it with a grain of salt but interesting video. Basically says any thing like a berger will explode on impact and not make it to the vitals. Ive always shot factory ammo like winchester ballistic silvertips but have been playing with reloading this year. Based on recommendations I had planned to sling a 215 berger out of my 300wm but this has me second guessing.

What has been everyone elses results with "match" style bullets? As he says are Barnes and partitions still the king?

YouTube

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmmmm...........didn't even look at the video cause I don't have too.
All I use for the most part are Bergers and there are a shitload of horns in my garage that wished they didn't work........

Randy

p.s. The 215 berger works wonders.
oh, and I forgot.....I used the crappy ol 147 match from hornady this year.....worked like they should. Dead.

FURMAN

WKR
I am sure he is a very knowledgeable guy but this is the second video of his I just can't get behind. I will have to agree with mtnwrunner. If people want to use Nosler bullets go for it. I prefer Berger and some of the new Hornady bullets. The thing that really agitates me is people who never recover an animal automatically blame the bullet. How do they know their shot was solid? Has to be the bullet. Maybe I am just weird. I have lost one animal ever and I blame myself. As to his comment about recovering the elk shot in the hip I unfortunately made a poor wind call on my stag in NZ and I fully believe the only reason I was able to put my hands on that animal was because of the 215 Bergers. I will tell you some Bergers just perform better than others. I personally have had the quickest kills with the 168 7mm and 215 30 cal. I have yet to see anything with any Berger that made me want to shy away. The 147 ELDM Hornady is really starting to impress me as well. I was never impressed with the performance of bonded bullets. Sure game hit with them are going to die but in my experience Bergers just kill quicker. Then he totally fell off his rocker when he started talking about ballistic coefficient. He makes it very clear he has no understanding of what a coefficient is.

- - - Updated - - -

Typical Berger performance for me. One at 250 one at 600.
Bull Tahr at 250 Yards 30 Nosler 215 Berger. - GIF on Imgur
Bull Tahr at 600 yards 30 Nosler 215 Berger. - GIF on Imgur

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Any bullet can fail.

Since switching to match bullets about ten years ago I have notice way more one shot kills then with the "Premium hunting bullets"

In that video, did he say he shot an elk in the ass on purpose......?

These videos by Randy selby are pretty entertaining! He did say he shot an elk in the ass on purpose as well as many other ridiculous things. You should see the first video he even uses made up words.
As Ryan stated any bullet can fail! I think more people just blame a bad shot on the bullet instead of themselves. I’ve used Berger bullets for probably the last 8-9years and can say they flat out hammer game. Most all kills have been DRT with the longest one traveling maybe 30 yards well more like stumbling. I’ve had many animals with complete pass through shots and a blood trail that Stevie Wonder could follow but not needed as most animals drop in sight.
OP- A 215 Berger loaded over H1000 in a 300win Mag is a lethal combo no doubt.

YouTube

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
These videos by Randy selby are pretty entertaining! He did say he shot an elk in the ass on purpose as well as many other ridiculous things. You should see the first video he even uses made up words.
As Ryan stated any bullet can fail! I think more people just blame a bad shot on the bullet instead of themselves. I’ve used Berger bullets for probably the last 8-9years and can say they flat out hammer game. Most all kills have been DRT with the longest one traveling maybe 30 yards well more like stumbling. I’ve had many animals with complete pass through shots and a blood trail that Stevie Wonder could follow but not needed as most animals drop in sight.
OP- A 215 Berger loaded over H1000 in a 300win Mag is a lethal combo no doubt.

YouTube

You are right. Bullets can fail, but people probably fail more and blame the bullet:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Dont mean to start a war "Match" style bullet for hunting

Hahaha I am not a fan of Berger, competition, or Barnes bullets but I’ve seen plenty of bergers and competition bullets take out the vitals, so I disagree. A buddy took out a griz with Berger’s on the peninsula.

I personally use partitions or Swift’s, but I’m not down on other people’s choice. I say it’s the Ford, Chevy, dodge argument. I can give you 20 reasons my Chevy is better than your truck and you can give me 20 the other way. Pick a bullet, eat some meat, move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
This was my first year using Berger bullets for hunting. I've been reloading all of my ammunition for many years and have a bad addiction to try the newest, latest, greatest bullet. So I have boxes and boxes of bullets of most every breed, in my reloading room and scattered throughout the house. I love the sleek, shiny lines of a bullet.

This year I drew an amazing rifle bull elk tag in Idaho which thus merited the need of a new rifle. I picked up a Cooper in .300 Win Mag. I have at least three other rifles in that caliber and each of them has their own preference of bullet/load but in typical .300 WM fashion, each of them easily will group under 1 MOA. I was very aware that Cooper had a 1/2" MOA guarantee with their rifles.

I tried several offerings from Hornady, Barnes, Speer and Nosler in the Cooper. They most all were under 1 MOA but not at the 1/2" MOA that the rifle was supposed to be capable of. I had a couple boxes of 175g VLD Bergers so I gave them a go. The first group that I shot at 200 yards was just under 1"! Looked promising. So I loaded some more and shot some more. After doing a quick patch through the barrel I shot a fouling shot down the barrel and then fired 3 shots at 300 yards. 3 shots at 200 yards and then 2 at 100. As I went to shoot the third at 100, I looked and saw that there was only one hole and then proceeded to pull the third shot. I told my son that it went low left, which it did. As I went to each target, the 100 yard target showed, (even after pulling the last one) a 1/2" group. The 200 yard target was right at 1" but the one that sold me was the 300 yard group that measured 7/8". The rifle/powder/bullet combination worked perfectly on paper. So even though I read how awful Berger bullets were on game, I thought that if I could get a bullet into the boiler room, something good might happen.

Well I only shot 1 elk and 3 deer this year so the jury is still out but just in case the Bergers work out.....

I just picked up 3 more boxes of the Bergers.

mtmuley

WKR
I've used quite a few bullets in my almost 40 years of hunting, including Bergers. Bought my first ones in 2006. The claim that Bergers kill so much faster and better is mostly bs in my estimation. Put a quality bullet where it needs to be and things die. I don't use Bergers anymore, kinda phased them out for other bullets I have more faith in and don't ruin things as bad. My experience only. mtmuley

Elkguide
Of the 4 animals you took this year what were the results? Much tracking needed? Recover any bullets?
Also in the 300win Mag I’d recommend you give the 215gr Berger a try also.

elkguide

WKR
Elkguide
Of the 4 animals you took this year what were the results? Much tracking needed? Recover any bullets?
Also in the 300win Mag I’d recommend you give the 215gr Berger a try also.

1. I have a full freezer.
2. The elk took a high lung hit which, nicked the heart, destroyed both lungs and still went uphill for 100 yards before running out of gas.
3. Didn't recover a single bullet. All pass throughs.
4. Was planning on trying the 215's but couldn't find any of them so went with what was on my shelf.

hodgeman

WKR
I've watched a few of those videos recently. The guy poops on various bullets including match bullets, bullets with plastic tips, the 6.5CM in general and a whole host of other things. Essentially, in his opinion... any bullet, rifle or cartridge invented since 1974 or so just sucks and was invented by idiots.

Of course, if you totally disregard all the thousands of dead animals killed with all those crappy, poorly designed bullets....he's 100% right.

Might be a broken record but I wouldn’t go shooting an elk in the shoulder with a magnum and avg to light for caliber Berger.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. I have a full freezer.
2. The elk took a high lung hit which, nicked the heart, destroyed both lungs and still went uphill for 100 yards before running out of gas.
3. Didn't recover a single bullet. All pass throughs.
4. Was planning on trying the 215's but couldn't find any of them so went with what was on my shelf.

if you ever need 215's, let me know.......I can help you out. More than willing to part with those crappy bullets.

Randy

264win

WKR
It’s important to clarify, that not all match bullets are the same Berger makes great hunting bullets. But other match bullets are not made to expand and may not perform on game.
That said,
Deer, bear and elk all one shot kills with berger. 6mm 6.5mm and 30cal. Use heavy for caliber bullets aka 215 30 cal

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Well thanks for the reassurance y’all! I’ve got a batch of 215berger over h1000 loaded to try. Hopefully we can find one the coooper will eat.

2five7

WKR
I didn't even have to click on the video to know it would be that old fogey sitting in his chair telling us that if we don't do it how he used to do it, then we are wrong. Can believe the number of people that just eat that stuff up. He contradicts himself every other sentence.