My fathers hunt for a massive stag outhunting some wealthier clients

Hello everybody, I grew up on a small farm with my father, a avid hunter. I remember sleeping in bed and waking up to a gunshot in the woods behind the house and Ide get excited everytime because I knew my father shot a big buck. Sometimes he would even check me out of school for it, walk outside and there would be this big rack sticking out of the bed of his truck. When I got to be 10, we had an exchange student stay with us from Germany. She lived with us for two years and was best friends with my sister as they went to high school together. Her parents in Germany were so grateful they came to visit. The man Horst, walks in to our home and saw all the deer my father has killed over the years. Horst says "you must come hunting with me". That was it, my whole family had first class tickets to Germany at the end of his daughters visit. Better yet my father gets to hunt in Poland for a week. So there in Poland on a reserve my father met with several hunters and guides. Some were quite different than each other and there were a few different dialects. Before going hunting of course my father had to shoot a rifle that was borrowed from horst. When he arrived at the shooting range some of the guides had followed. He sat down, crawled into his rifle and took his time. When he shot he glanced at the target and couldn't see a bullet hole. Eaither he missed or it was a bullseye. Him and horst walk down the range to find a dead center bullseye. They came back to the guides who said "you are a professional". Finally the time comes for the hunt. Trumpets are blown and a ceremony taken place. Most of the men in rather classy hunting clothes, with huge binoculars. In retrospect my father was wearing his worn out wool and small binoculars from basspro. They were after roe bucks first..and it didn't take long before they found their first. Using a rather large round for roa bucks when my father shot it was like getting hit by a truck to something that size. He dropped his first two roe deer in the same day. The guide was all smiles coming back to the hunting lodge. There they had a huge feast and all talked stories of the days hunt. Just about everyone shot something but even still some had missed such a small target (a roe buck is the size of a large dog). Stuffed my father goes to bed and thinks about the next day, the hunt for a big stag. Red deer seem to be a hunters dream deer. Massive horns and a call that very disingenuousable. As him and his guide get in a forest some fog rolled in. They are creeping forward to some sound when they start to make out calls from red deer. Into the fog and pine forest they went to find this herd of red deer running frantically about. Than they heard a massive deep call come from behind the fog. Out of it come a massive stag, the guide drops his shooting sticks ducks his head and yells "shoot"! Bang! The stag fell in his tracks. The guide jumps up and down ecstatic about the hunt. My father and him somehow loaded the monster stag In a small car. When they returned most of the hunters had been back for a while. A long line of stag horns layed out for display. I wish I could of seen their faces, my fathers stag was by all measures a bigger than the rest. They were so impressed with his marksmanship they gave him a third roe buck tag free of charge. This time all of the guides went..and yet again, the animal fell like a sack of rocks. It was later in life my father told me "wait for the animal to exhale"..

Last edited:
Waidmansheil to your father! Very exciting story! Hunting in europe is not just about the shooting of deer. Its about the whole hunting experience. The meet and greet in the morning, the hunt its self and the feast after. It is an experience of a life time. I hunted in germany for 3 years and its definitely something I will never forget. Once again congrats to your dad and is great marksmanship. What a great ambassador he was. Many germans dont like American hunters because they think we cant shoot worth a hoot!