Colorado Mule Deer 2018

Ranger185

FNG
This is why I love hunting so much....that I can follow a live story of a hunt, one I'm not even on, and feel the same excitement that I feel when I'm out there chasing my own animals. Thanks for the posts Jordan. Really enjoying it.

Go get it.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 5 mid day update.

Glassing away. There are 2 younger small bucks where the big one was yesterday. That’s all I’ve seen so far. I made the decision to just sit in the glass all day long until I locate them. It’s sooooo dry and crunchy I can’t make myself move too much closer. I need to be home on Friday at the latest, so it’s getting crunch time!

Tomorrow marks day 6 Hunting and day 7 total... I won’t lie, my bed and some chicken strips are sounding reallllly good right now. The longest solo backpack trip I’ve done.

af0dd04ad8ec51a3fe9810721f2eb515.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Good luck Jordan. For your digiscoping, is that a Tines Up adapter? And what camera are you using?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck Jordan. For your digiscoping, is that a Tines Up adapter? And what camera are you using?

Yep it’s a tines up on a canon g7xii. I took 2 base plates for the G9x kit they have and epoxied them together.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Late night update.

Today I glassed and only saw a few small bucks. At about 5 o’clock a couple of guys with camping gear walked basically into the middle of where I’d been seeing the deer activity and started setting their camp up. That kinda pushed me over to leave. I packed all my stuff up and packed back out. Just relocated to another area I scouted this summer and will be going in light in the morning to see what I can find. Hopefully this is the change I needed!

Thanks for following everyone!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So this morning I went into a spot with a good glassing point and picked up an awesome buck moving along a hillside. He bedded up under a tree with willows around him. Took me a couple of hours to get around and on top of him. Willows were so thick and it was steep enough I couldn’t get a bead on him from above like I hoped before I dropped in. So I dropped my pack and dropped in hoping for the best. Once I got to the last patch of willows I carefully peeked over to find his bed empty. The wind was good for the most part... one point in the willows a big cloud came over and I felt the wind get swirly.

I don’t know if I busted him or he just moved. Now headed back around to glass again, Hunting along the way. Maybe I’ll find him again for another stalk but if not this may wrap my CO deer hunt unfortunately. Have to get back home tomorrow. Next up for me is Wyoming!

I did document this hunt via video that I’ll have out and available to watch at some point. Thanks for following along everyone!

JDZ

WKR
Awesome thread.

I saw a great buck on Friday afternoon before the season in a basin I had previously scouted a good 4x4 and really tall 3x3. Opening morning I saw the 4x4 bed on one side of a group of trees with a different 3x3 on the other side. Wind and position wasn't too good for a stalk, but then two hikers schlepped up for a look see into the basin and the bucks got uncomfortable and left. Got stormed back to camp Sunday afternoon. Moved to Plan B on Monday. Nothing, but a 4 mile pack in and pack out. Plan C on Wednesday morning. Nothing. Back to Plan A Wednesday afternoon. Spotted a good buck, but tough to tell exactly what he was on account of distance and quality of glass. Stalked 3/4 mile, and I saw the different 3x3 with another smaller buck at 120 yards. I had a couple of options to move closer. Thought I'd kill him for sure. I noticed the wind swirl a little, as it was getting later in the day and I was in the shade on the downwind side of a mountain. Looked to see what progress the bucks had made, and they were gone. I continued the stalk over another couple ridgelines until I got cliffed out. Damn. On my way back, a consolation prize appeared at 66 yards. I dialed my Black Gold Ascent Verdict (thanks Robby and S&S), but decided he was just too little. Hiked back to camp defeated.

Wind looked bad for today, so I went to town for a shower and to launder 7 days of stench out of my clothes.

Headed back tomorrow to try to find one that's asking for a stalk!

JDZ

WKR
Sorry if my story was out of line in this thread. This popped up on my notifications and I didn't realize it was in the live story category.

Always enjoy your stuff Jordan.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome thread.

I saw a great buck on Friday afternoon before the season in a basin I had previously scouted a good 4x4 and really tall 3x3. Opening morning I saw the 4x4 bed on one side of a group of trees with a different 3x3 on the other side. Wind and position wasn't too good for a stalk, but then two hikers schlepped up for a look see into the basin and the bucks got uncomfortable and left. Got stormed back to camp Sunday afternoon. Moved to Plan B on Monday. Nothing, but a 4 mile pack in and pack out. Plan C on Wednesday morning. Nothing. Back to Plan A Wednesday afternoon. Spotted a good buck, but tough to tell exactly what he was on account of distance and quality of glass. Stalked 3/4 mile, and I saw the different 3x3 with another smaller buck at 120 yards. I had a couple of options to move closer. Thought I'd kill him for sure. I noticed the wind swirl a little, as it was getting later in the day and I was in the shade on the downwind side of a mountain. Looked to see what progress the bucks had made, and they were gone. I continued the stalk over another couple ridgelines until I got cliffed out. Damn. On my way back, a consolation prize appeared at 66 yards. I dialed my Black Gold Ascent Verdict (thanks Robby and S&S), but decided he was just too little. Hiked back to camp defeated.

Wind looked bad for today, so I went to town for a shower and to launder 7 days of stench out of my clothes.

Headed back tomorrow to try to find one that's asking for a stalk!

Good Luck!! Have to take care of some things at home then I may try and come back after next week. Although they’ll probably be stripped and wayyy tougher to find.

JDZ

WKR
Good Luck!! Have to take care of some things at home then I may try and come back after next week. Although they’ll probably be stripped and wayyy tougher to find.

Went back out the next day, had an unsuccessful stalk in the morning. That afternoon, another opportunity came, and I capitalized. I should probably start my own thread.