Colorado Mule Deer 2018

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey sliders! Little late getting this one started as I’m already packed in. Wanted to make sure I was going to have some service to update. Im in an average unit for deer in Colorado but am hopeful at what the week will bring me. More hunters than I wanted to see this weekend but being Sunday afternoon of opening weekend things have cleared out quite a bit. I’ve seen 3 bucks a long way off and in sketchy stalking spots but good intel of some other deer closer I just haven’t found yet. I’ve been taking it easy and glassing around camp the last couple of days just feeling things out and watching instead of wandering. I have 7 more days of food with me so I’m going to ride this week out, be patient and hit the glass hard. Good luck to everyone already out here or getting ready for season!

c55b8079bc029643bc7993439c89745e.jpg
f9a3fe9d63431e5a458135cd0a74be3b.jpg
dc2bc7df56dbbeac92f2fa7a5d68635b.jpg
57d2c7df67517a66f3722b545f411b78.jpg
cbe0c9dc4e384b13a69c87e960293181.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Official day 3 wrap up. Didn’t see a buck in my unit. Hiked a bit this morning towards the trail head where an elk hunter told me he had seen a buck but couldn’t turn him up. Swung back to the truck for a few more days of food, minor gear swapage, 2 charged battery packs and to pick up 8L of water on the way back up. Sat on a awesome glassing knob and didn’t see anything tonight but the wind was whipping crazy. Planning to sit on that glassing knob in the morning and possibly all day long behind the glass. With the intel I have I know they are here... just a matter of will they come out of the timber???

24578ae52bcdfd63f3eed2dfcfa9c86a.jpg

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh! And the cloud to cloud lightning storm above me last night at 4am was also fun.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful picture Jordan. Well if you’re in Colorado, and you’re in deer country, there are bucks there. You’re doing all the right things, just keep at it. You should turn them up.

It’s been my experience that once the bucks are really bachelored up, many hillsides will be void of deer, but once you find them, they’re all right there.

Thanks for doing this for all of us valley-bound jockeys

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone! One average buck this morning wayyyyy down low but at least he’s in my unit. From this glassing point I can look into the neighboring unit and there is what looks like a cranker from 2.5 miles away. At least I’m seeing bucks!

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks everyone! One average buck this morning wayyyyy down low but at least he’s in my unit. From this glassing point I can look into the neighboring unit and there is what looks like a cranker from 2.5 miles away. At least I’m seeing bucks!

Maybe try calling him over to your unit, shake things up a little bit... "Heeeere we go! Bup bup bup! Hey lady!". Gee dangit!

Neature Walk - Episode 1 - YouTube

That always makes me laugh during a slow hunt.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just happen to know she’s stalking a buck right now. I do not have permission to tell you this. So this thread may disappear before she gets back on 🤣🤣🤣

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update!

Close-ish, I think, but no dice. At noon I spotted 2 bucks coming into my basin from the adjacent. One little guy then another solid 4x4.. hate throwing numbers out, so it’s a good deer. They were in and out of trees and could only keep track with my spotter catching bits and pieces move through the trees. They went in a medium sized ? group of trees and never left. Although I could have missed them, I just had a feeling they were there. My eyes were glued to the glass the rest of the afternoon when at 3:30 the big one poked his head out in an opening and started feeding then bedded. 4 hours left until dark I got a plan together and took off. Dropped a little way down the sister basin to make sure I wasn’t to be seen and made my loop. At one point I tried to verify location but I couldn’t quite tell with 10’s into the shade. After I got looped around and within what I thought 200 yards, I dropped my pack and went to my socks. The wind was good and steady, probably 15 mph but it was still fairly loud to me even with socks on. I approached a group of trees across from where the deer had bedded approximately 100 yards and he was gone.

I didn’t hear anything bust out so I think he just got up on his own and went back into where he had come from.. or he’s a super smart buck and snuck out. Both highly probable. I backed out quietly and went back around to my glassing point. Didn’t see them this evening but hopefully tomorrow shares different results.

f24b98f1653da81993c00e1b8768aa39.jpg