Gmu 201 Colorado who else is hunting there from Colorado springs

Nicklhead

FNG
I was up scouting for my deer tag in unit 201. I ran into a elk hunter who said couple guys from sColirado Springs where also up there scouting elk. I’m not concerned with elk but just wanting to message each other if we see the other hunters animal and in the right shooting size. I am now hunting deer buck only. Seen good deer up there so far just not 190” or better I hear they are up there just wondering if we can help each other out. Looking at the land I don’t think I’ll bring my mules but if the animal is deep in the canyons I will. If any old 201 unit hunters have any good spots also let me know. I have pretty much looked it all over and have some great ideas and saw nice typical tall bucks but biggest was about 160”. I’ll be up so if I see elk I am willing to share also on what I am seeing. Can pm me so it’s not all over if you want but there should be more information for everyone since this is such a hard area to draw.

TrW

FNG
How did your 201 hunt go? Trying to decide if that’s a good place to use my points. Thanks

Jester653

FNG
Spent 4th of July weekend scouting Colorado GMU 201 for mule deer. A few noteworthy things I found:

1. 80% of the cover on Middle Mountain as burned by the recent West Fire. Even the ground cover in these areas is gone.

2. There are a ton of elk and antelope...but very few deer. We scouted all quadrants of the unit and over the course of three days spotted only 20 total mule deer. Temps were near 90 so perhaps the deer did not get on their feet until after dark. Or perhaps the deer have moved to neighboring units for the summer? Regardless, we really struggled to find enough to identify any patterns.

I’d love to connect with someone who has first-hand experience in this unit during the fall. I’d bet the majority of hunters targeting elk displace deer, but that is hard to predict.