Leveling Your 3rd Axis at Full Draw

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Great vids!

The water bottle prop should really hit home for most bowhunters to see the effect of 3rd axis. Great simple tool every archer should have and understand to maximize their accuracy.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I met Andrew and JNDEER at Redding this year. I sat through their presentation and have to admit, they made 3rd axis so much easier to understand. The watter bottle that bowhnter7 mentioned above is the perfect visual display to illustrate it. I also let Andrew adjust my 3rd axis while there and walked away with one of their Easy Leveler. The rest Hamskea has, that Aron is using on his bow, is also a bullet proof rest. It can attach to either limb, the cable or shoot it as a lizard tongue set up. Pretty nice in every aspect. Hamskea is making tuning the 3rd axis super simple with their leveler. Gone are the days of shooting it in at 60 yards on a severe downslope. That process usually took me an hour or more. Thanks Hamskea....

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I mis spoke, I don't think it was JNDEER with Andrew at Redding, but it was another Rokslider, I just don't remember his name.

trkyslr

WKR
Ok question.. So I don't have the hamskea leveler so coming to full draw on a plum bob, aiming steep down hill, couldn't I adjust my bubble 3rd axis till it's centered? Wouldn't this be the same as well considering the bubble in the sight is true to the pins?

wapitibob

WKR
yes, lots of people use a plumb bob.
You want the bubble perpendicular to the plane crated when aiming up and down, as seen in the video and illustrated with the water bottle. You can level the bow using a long carpenter level too but the Hammers leveler makes things easy.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Ok question.. So I don't have the hamskea leveler so coming to full draw on a plum bob, aiming steep down hill, couldn't I adjust my bubble 3rd axis till it's centered? Wouldn't this be the same as well considering the bubble in the sight is true to the pins?

How do you know your bow is "level" at full draw?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok....short term memory loss....bowhntr7 is Jeremy if I remember correctly. Been lucky enough to meet several Roksliders and do forget sometimes.

Chris for your question, you need your bow level at full draw first before you can level third axis. The Hamskea attaches to your bow or sight arm to ensure this. Also the Hamskea pin is about 4-4.5" long so you have a longer reference to be more precise. If you are heading to Nevada city this coming weekend I will bring mine and you can see if your third axis is good or needs some tuning.

DesertRat

FNG
yes, lots of people use a plumb bob...You can level the bow using a long carpenter level too but the Hammers leveler makes things easy.

Unless you tape the carpenter's level to your bow and than draw your bow back...that level isn't doing much for you.

-DR

wapitibob

WKR
CMeier, no. It's already level. You are just setting the level "level" when aiming up or down. Watch the water bottle portion again. You are just keeping the corners of the level perpendicular to the plane when you raise or lower the bow.

Lukem

WKR
Great Illustration of 3rd axis. Thanks guys!

Couldn't you just use your pins to line up with the plumb? If they aren't straight, then you're screwed anyway.

wapitibob

WKR
Got it now. So guys that don't have 3rd axis can't shoot up or down hill then? ;)

sure they can "but" if the level isn't perpendicular, the bubble will run to one side or the other. The amount "out of 90 deg" as well as the slope will determine how bad the bubble runs out. If you have a sight that has a bubble perpendicular to the mount, and you are real close to centershot you could be fine, or not. You see the runout over at Redding a lot when a group of 3d guys show up the first time. You'll see it at Cascadians range if you shoot there too. It doesn't mean diddley if you only shoot flat ground. If you're shooting the Safari or state field I can show you how it all works.

Last edited: