Confession of a alaska master guide

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
My new gaiters have missed the first Sheep hunt of the season. I have a sick kid and was forced to cancel my first hunt. So they sit in my pack waiting....
Sometimes late in the night I hear crying in my garage. I rush out and snap the door open. I figured it was those Kuiu gaiters whining about not going hunting like a great bird dog sitting by the door of the gun safe, like a loyal compadre at your porch at dawn waiting to hit the woods!! No. No it wasn’t the gaiters. Turned out to be all my ice axes, sleeping pad, quilt, teddy bear, phone charger, inReach and hunting clothes crying because they have to sit in that pack and listen to those gaiters talk about how awesome they are!! Non-stop!! Apparently they won’t shut up and keep going on and on about how no one can touch them how there’s no middle man mark up how they made their living selling ugly camo etc etc. my other gear was getting pissed, so I was forced to separate them. I stuck those gaiters in the freezer to teach them a lesson. We all gotta get along to make it work. Can’t have mutiny on the mountian!

RCL

WKR
That should work. Show those gaiters some tough love.

Wishing a fast recovery for the young one.

mproberts

WKR
Be sure to let us know how your new pack does Jake.

[video=youtube_share;to5OKjZsKRs]https://youtu.be/to5OKjZsKRs[/video]

Son of a mustard tiger!! what is this sorcery?! and why do I not already own it?

To think I have been lugging around a pack like a pilgrim this whole time!!

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I think so. Those gaiters were all like like “we can take it who cares we’re tough blah blah” I set them next to some frozen yogurt that my girls like that have that annoying little Elsa and Anna from the movie Frozen on the package!! Haha boy those gaiters aren’t gonna get a word in edgewise now!! Those sisters will drive anything insane!!

chindits

WKR
Well a humorous thread about a product I didn't care for. The fabric used on the gaiter is okay if you keep them dry and the temperature stays above zero. However, when I was using them it seems like the fabric holds water and with sub zero nights they would freeze up so solid I couldn't get them to flex enough to get them back on the next morning. I guess it's not a problem if you have a heated outfitter tent or if you sleep with them on. I also had the buckle bars bend in on both sides. I think the buckles are so low that rocks next to the boot would pry up on the whole buckle and that would bend the bar. I just haven't had that problem with other gaiters. The boot instep strap outer layer also doesn't hold up for long. Sorry for the sacrilegious comments on a hunting apparel cult thread, but that is my experience with them in one season of nothing but cold camps and 50-90 days in the field and only wearing them a small percentage of the days out YMMV.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I appreciate that review! I’ll be watching for those things with mine as well. I will have below freezing nights and I’m sure they will be wet.

In all seriousness, I just finished a sheep hunt in the Chugach. When we started the hunt I had a brand new pair of the Kuiu gators, and my guide had a brand new pair of the OR gators. I ended up killed a ram on day 6, and we were putting in some serious miles every day. At the end of the hunt the OR gators took the abuse far better that the Kuiu gators, hiking through identical terrain. Granted, they did their job but now they look beat after just one hunt. My guides OR gators didn't look near as beat up. FWIW.

Trial153

WKR
I just got the newest verison of the sitka gaiters....quite the upgrade from the last version. I used them and a set of new OR this past weekend and was very impressed. Going to put them through the paces the next month

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Got one hunt on my Kuiu gaiters. Man those are nice to have! Wished I’d have gotten some years ago! I can tell they aren’t gonna be lifetime
Gaiters, maybe I can squeeze a season outa a pair, but for the money that’s fine with me.

mproberts

WKR
I just got the newest verison of the sitka gaiters....quite the upgrade from the last version. I used them and a set of new OR this past weekend and was very impressed. Going to put them through the paces the next month

Which ones are you referring to? ascent, thunderhead or stormfront?

I've had bad luck recently with the ascents and thunderheads. I let my wife use my ascents on a multi-day hike and she wore through the metal boot strap on a pair of brand new ascents (sitka replaced them though)... and the Thunderheads kept riding down on my calf no matter how tight I made them.

Last edited:

geebee

Lil-Rokslider
Cheese and rice man! I am reading this and thinking "man, this guy is falling on his sword!! I am going to book a hunt to try and help him out!"..

After finishing the post, you are on your own! LOL

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Cheese and rice man! I am reading this and thinking "man, this guy is falling on his sword!! I am going to book a hunt to try and help him out!"..

After finishing the post, you are on your own! LOL

Ah well, it’s the thought that counts!

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
Since we're talking about gaiters. What brand is suitable for big guys? I'm 6'2" 250. Had to send First Lite gaiters back because they barely fit over my boots/calves.

Join the dark side with BRWNBR?

PS: BRWNBR I will hunt with you one of these days. For now I will drool over your hunt stories and website pictures. Wish I had known about you when I was living in Alaska and my money was my own ;)