Idaho RMBS Unit 11-13-18 "in hand"

To the Rokslide Crew-
I've drawn the one random RMBS tag and now have it in hand. Amazingly, this will be my 7th sheep hunt since 2009.
I'd posted the questions earlier, about the maps, waiting until I had the actual license/tag in hand...after reading about/and experiencing the issues w/ the Idaho license vendor, I wanted to make sure that I had "it" in hand before posting. My job still keeps me away for days at a time, so any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is definitely a "HOLY GRAIL" mission and journey.

I drew Unit 11...and the odds were definitely low, actually 0.28% as per the goHunt and Huntin Fool crews, but somehow the computer spit out my name. I've been training like crazy anyway, as I had been saving my money for YEARS and already had a Desert ram hunt scheduled in Nov-Dec in Mexico, and a phone call from Idaho G & F and then Huntin Fool blows me away. Also, I spoke w the WSF folks this week in Bozeman, and as I drew the only non-resident tag for the Oregon side of Hell's Canyon in 2009...and was successful on a 180-ish gross 9 year-old ram...well, they tell me I'm one lucky SOB and the only person to have randomly drawn both sides of Hell's Canyon.
I've been on the phone and collecting information, from BLM, Idaho G&F, Nez Perce NF personnel, some folks I know that have a jet boat service on the Snake River, folks from both OR and ID WSF, a couple of prior auction hunters (I can't afford those $100K-plus tags) and at least one retired Idaho G&F biologist/game warden.
If any of y'all come up with any additional information, or know of prior threads of the lucky few who've drawn this tag and had posted, please post and let me know. If anyone interested in my training (flatlander living north of New Orleans), gear, prior experiences, let me know. I'm sure that I will learn from the forum crew, and thanks to all in advance. I'm sure there's some other details I've left out, but it's been a long day at work, and I just got off the treadmill at 15% grade w a 50lb backpack for an hour, so the oxygen to my brain is suboptimal right now!
I can't wait to get into that country on the Idaho side.
Sincerely,
Diddywahdiddy

FlyGuy

WKR
Congrats on the draw. I wish I had that kind of Luck! I have no advice for You, but I grew up not far away from you in Gonzales, LA and I'll be pulling for you this Fall. Would love to hear how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
Diddywahdiddy
FlyGuy,
Thanks for the positive comment! I've been reviewing my 2009 notes from the Imnaha River, Rhodes Ck, Lightning Ck, Cow Ck, Grizzly Ridge, Haas Ridge hunt areas and have a good basic idea of what gear works and what doesn't. My first memory is not to bring such a heavy rifle as I did in 2009 (Lazzeroni 7.21 Firehawk...tackdriver but heavy), and will be shouldering my lightweight Borden Rimrock in .300 WSM. Light, sweet shooting tack driver from the Bench Rest guru in Pennsylvania.
Diddywahdiddy

OP
Diddywahdiddy
Time to log out for awhile

WTF?
So much for useful feedback from the forum. I don't believe what I'm reading. Time to log out indefinitely.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
WTF?
So much for useful feedback from the forum. I don't believe what I'm reading. Time to log out indefinitely.
Don't sweat it man. It's just some spammer that snuck in with a phony acct. I'm confident the mods have already taken care of it.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
Diddywahdiddy
First week of season hot and 10-12 miles hiking per day. One 10.5 year-old ram w right horn broken 8-10" above hairline was best we could find. If he had the other side he would go 178-plus. Too bad, but good genetics to spread despite whatever broke the right horn...fall?...rutting?
Three 6x6 nice bull elk 315-325ish and several smaller bulls, one big 5x5 mulie 175ish and one 5x5 big whitetail 155ish. Lots of mulies, elk, tons of different gamebirds. Going back out 9/26 until end of season, if necessary. The rams we located before the season have been abducted by aliens, are undergoing experiments, and hopefully will be dropped back on earth in their previous haunts. Training for this flatlander paid off, just couldn't locate the rams we wanted, so gave it a break, back at it next week. Legs feel good and rifle is on. Anxious, excited, and optimistic. Hopefully the "Stultissimus Est" comment will remain scarce.
DWD

OP
Diddywahdiddy
More attempts to post photos...mid-August to late August

IMG_1719.jpgIMG_1601.jpgAttempt(s) to post ram pics pre-season; zombie training pic post-hike w 55lb backpack-one of dozens; scenery pics. Will check tomorrow if successful uploads...
DWD

Last edited:
OP
Diddywahdiddy
More photo attempts

Photos early August.IMG_1715.jpg Unit 11 Idaho. Don't know why they're uploading sideways?? These are the rams the aliens have abducted...why they left we don't know but hope to find them.

OP
Diddywahdiddy
I think this is the best ram we found...now location unknown.View attachment 79509 He will go 180 plus net. Just hope we can find him.
Soooo frustrating but that's the way it goes...this is sheep hunt #7 for me and it will still be an adventure if we don't locate him when we re-start Sept 26th. He is the "left back" ram in photo attachment 79501 w his head down behind the ram "left front".

Last edited:
OP
Diddywahdiddy
October 15, 2018
To all,
Since I've gotten "back to the rat race" my work schedule has been non-stop. I am trying to journal a little every day. Working from 730am-7pm catching up (had to decrease my work hours pre-hunt to have enough time for training) is a "necessary evil".
I will make sure I "read the instructions" from the Administrator as to how to post pictures. ANY/ALL ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED FROM MEMBERS AND ADMINISTRATORS.
More information will be forthcoming as I got to get to the office this morning.
Some teasers:
1. My Down South 95 degrees/90% humidity "misery" training paid off, especially the thigh work and the 50-55lb backpack steps/hill work. But we don't have boulder fields Down South except for along RR tracks...duh, not a good place to train.
2. I lost 6lbs in six days...lots of uphill/downhill/sidehill...and NO BLISTERS. I used Salomon hiking boots. Lightweight and great ankle support. I left the heavier non-insulated Mtn Extreme Kenetreks at home.
3. My outfitter/guide and his #1 guide, both long-time sheep fanatics and Idaho natives, described the hunt "even for us...extreme, advanced, and warp speed".
4. Outfitter, #1 guide, current regional ID Sheep Biologist and ID WSF Board Member/Retired ID G&F Sheep/Elk Biologist..."he is at least 11 years old...may go 13". We estimated live weight 325lbs-plus. Wowzuh!!!
5. I missed over him at 262 yards first shot, a "bit tense" between shot #1 and #2, right through the heart #2 shot at 238 yards. Last image of ram after shot #2 was a ram in mid-air before a free-fall 600-plus feet to the bottom of an anonymous canyon. A little scuffed hide but no chips out of the horns.
6. It took us 2hrs 15 min to get to the ram from shot #2 position...and we weren't la la la stopping and snapping pictures along the way.
7. Hunting is schizophrenic...there is elation, but some sadness and always intense respect for such a regal animal, and it is OUR responsibility to NEVER forget how we must respect the resource. If no sadness and respect, we should NOT be hunting.
8. The ram will easily make B&C book after deductions. Not the #1 reason for the joy of this hunt, but the "Icing on the Cake".
9. My Three rules:
A. Listen, listen, listen to your guide. I do a few DIY hunts for elk in SW NM and CO, but this once-in-a-lifetime tag...get a great outfitter and make it a great/priceless experience. Take lots of notes each day-the waterproof "Field Notes" pocket field notebooks work real well.
B. Keep up with your guide.
C. You must be intimate w your rifle, and when you pull the trigger, hit where you're aiming for a quick, clean kill.
9. I owe it all to my team. I'm just the tourist who keeps up and fortunately when I pulled up on shot #1, I missed clean and, shot #2 was dead-on. I still can't explain the "over" on shot #1. When I was helping cape...did a good bit myself except the hooves, we found the perfect mushroomed bullet just inside the hide behind the opposite shoulder, a priceless memento...of course it was, again, a team effort.
10. Once I have time to read how to post photos correctly, I will have photos by the weekend.
11. It's good to be alive, upright and breathing, and still able to hike sheep trails in Hell's Canyon at 61 years young.
12. Yes, good photos will be forthcoming.
Thanks to all for the positive comments,
Diddywahdiddy

Zbowman1

WKR
Congrats!! I live in Lewiston. I couldn’t imagine drawing this tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk