Montana Unlimited

All joking aside this hunt is as hard as they come. Miles upon miles void of anything. The sheep live and move in isolated little pockets that are not easy to find. Don't rely on the harvest stat locations as most guys aren't going to give exact locales to honey holes so they can become public information. There are 180 Rams in the unlimiteds I know guys who have killed them. Without intimate knowledge of the area and or sheep you are going on a camping trip.

I, along with many others on here would really love to read your story on this hunt. If you are willing to share more. I also understand why you may not want to go into more detail. There is not much on the internet regarding this hunt and sometimes is best to leave it offline. Congrats on the ram, accomplishment of a lifetime!

slick

WKR
This sounds pretty cool actually. I understand it would be one of the hardest hunts ever, but at the end of the day you're sheep hunting. I am from PA and have been backpacking in the Beartooths twice now. I love the area and would gladly pay $1250 just to go camping with a sheep tag and a rifle. I'm still in college so financially, it's not going to happen for a couple years. But I'm going to school to be a teacher and I could see myself spending a few weeks every summer scouting and then determining whether or not I should get a tag that year. Like I said, I would love to give it a shot. It may not be ideal, but it may be the best option for someone like me who doesn't want to wait until my middle aged years to be able to afford a hunt in AK or Canada. This thread may have just started a yearly, lifelong addiction for me...

Just so your aware, you wouldn’t be able to scout it one summer and then decided to get the tag the same year. The application deadline is May 1, so you’d have to apply/buy the tag prior to any same year summer scouting.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Just so your aware, you wouldn’t be able to scout it one summer and then decided to get the tag the same year. The application deadline is May 1, so you’d have to apply/buy the tag prior to any same year summer scouting.

Yeah forgot about that. For some reason I was kinda thinking it worked like an OTC tag and you could buy it any time. Either way that wouldn't scare me off. Would definitely be a lot of work though!

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
It’s never “that hard” if you end with a sheep. I’m also contemplating the hunt just to take a picture of the sheep tag and say, “I have a sheep tag”. Maybe I’ll just buy and say I went. 😁

Yeah forgot about that. For some reason I was kinda thinking it worked like an OTC tag and you could buy it any time. Either way that wouldn't scare me off. Would definitely be a lot of work though!

You can pay the $50 dollars for the application, scout, and not buy the tag though versus just buying the tag outright for $1250 before going into the unit to hunt. If you scout it and don't like it or can't make it for the actual season you're only out $50. I met a fella that had scouted for two years before he ponied up for the tag and he missed a shot on a legal ram on the second morning of the season. Bummer for him but the hunt is doable.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I did an unlimited sheep hunt with an outfitter in 2008 I believe. The area bordered Yellow Stone NP. The method of hunting was climb the hillside behind camp and glass and then more glassing. On the seventh day a group of 4 rams wandered across the park boundary. The other hunter and I both shot a ram. While both were legal neither was huge. The park rangers harassed us mildly for hunting sheep that crossed in and out of the park. It was more of an 8 day camping trip with beautiful scenery than a hunt but still enjoyable. I have been fortunate to have also shot a ram in a WY limited area and will leave sheep tags to guys with less than 1. Good luck.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
You can pay the $50 dollars for the application, scout, and not buy the tag though versus just buying the tag outright for $1250 before going into the unit to hunt. If you scout it and don't like it or can't make it for the actual season you're only out $50. I met a fella that had scouted for two years before he ponied up for the tag and he missed a shot on a legal ram on the second morning of the season. Bummer for him but the hunt is doable.

Thanks! Things can be a little confusing considering I'm from PA, where I just go to Walmart, buy my license and hunt the next day lol. That definitely sounds like a plan, I don't mind donating $50 to the fish and wildlife department even if I don't end up going on the hunt.

Geetar

FNG
One of the only real tips I've ever heard from someone who has killed an unlimited ram was:
"Don't go chasing dead rams"
He was referencing past kill locations.
Godspeed to all you who are crazy enough to undertake this... lol
I believe that’s by Kurt Racicot. 👍

slvrslngr

WKR
I believe one of our members here punched an unlimited tag this year, can't remember his screen name though. I think there's a pic in the Sheep Meatpole thread.

USMC-40

WKR
I believe one of our members here punched an unlimited tag this year, can't remember his screen name though. I think there's a pic in the Sheep Meatpole thread.
I was fortunate enough to kill one in unit 500 this year. No real secret to success in my experience. Work hard, suffer, get lucky and spot one, get luckier and have him be in a spot you can get to and within range. Not being a smarta$$, but so much of that country looks ‘sheepy’ but is void of sheep, while other areas don’t and may have sheep.