Dall Sheep - Why so Expensive?

BRWNBR

WKR
Supply/demand has a lot to do with it. Also factor in a outfitter does several hunts and different hunts. One may net him 5% profit while another 40%. If all hunts were minimal net percentage there would be no outfitters. So supply/demand may give outfitters a chance to charge more on specific hunts to offset the minimal gain off other hunts. Pull all the numbers for all the hunts at the end of the season and average out his net against his gross income.
I know my average hunt expense for a sheep hunt now days is more than the total hunt costs for the same Sheep hunt 15 years ago. I’m not talking a handful of freeze dried meal and a plane ride, I’m talking all involved from licensing-insurance-permits etc.

It is dissappointing for an average guy like me, from the eastern US, that sheep hunts are so pricey. I grew up reading old Petersons hunting magazines with articles by Jack O'Connor about sheep hunting. It has been my dream for a long time to chase Dall sheep in Alaska, or big horns in the Rockies. But, alas, dropping 15-20k on a one time hunt is out of the question. Waiting 20-30 years to draw a tag in the Lower 48 is a tough pill to swallow as well. My only hope is Montana unlimited, draw a ewe tag, or move to Alaska. I was in Alaska last week on a family vacation, and I glassed up sheep on nearly every mountainside. It is much more likely for me to move to Alaska and become a resident than it is for me to drop half a years salary on a hunt. But, as long as people are willing to pay the price for these hunts, the price will not go down. I blame no outfitter or guide for charging what they do. If people will pay the price, then you better get it while the gettin is good.

BRWNBR

WKR
Timekiller, almost all my clients are average guys. Some even from the eastern us. (Not sure why that matters lol) They all say the same thing. “I wanted to do this so I made it a priority and figured out a way to save up” I have very very few clients who could just write a check for a Sheep hunt every year. Guys place a stigma on hunt prices as being a rich man game, crap buying a car is a rich mans game!! Taking the family on vacation is too! There’s a lot of things in life that are to costly for folks to do on a whim, but most of those things are all feasible with planning and some sacrifice in the spending department. I had one client send me a check for 500 bucks each month from his side job to do his Sheep hunt. He got motivated and found a way. If you want it bad enough.....

Timekiller, almost all my clients are average guys. Some even from the eastern us. (Not sure why that matters lol) They all say the same thing. “I wanted to do this so I made it a priority and figured out a way to save up” I have very very few clients who could just write a check for a Sheep hunt every year. Guys place a stigma on hunt prices as being a rich man game, crap buying a car is a rich mans game!! Taking the family on vacation is too! There’s a lot of things in life that are to costly for folks to do on a whim, but most of those things are all feasible with planning and some sacrifice in the spending department. I had one client send me a check for 500 bucks each month from his side job to do his Sheep hunt. He got motivated and found a way. If you want it bad enough.....
I could do it, but I look at what I would have to give up in order to accomplish it. If I gave up every out of state hunt I have planned for the next 5-7 years, then I would easily have enough money set aside for a sheep hunt. But, in the process, I would be giving up 5-7 years worth of different hunting adventures. For me, it's all about weighing different things out and experiencing as much as I can in life. I enjoy going on vacations with my family. I just spent 8 days in Alaska vacationing with my wife. I could have not gone, taken that money and put it towards a sheep hunt, but then I wouldn't have got to experience Alaska and have a great time with my wife. I also enjoy the hours that I work at my job, and I really don't feel like it's worth it for me to work extra shifts for a year or two be able to pay for a sheep hunt. I would rather spend time with my kids, take them camping, fishing and on vacation than give all that up so I can work extra to go on a hunt. A complete lifestyle change would not be worth it, to me, so I could go try and kill a Dall sheep. Not saying I am not trying to save or will never do it. I have a hunting fund and every year it grows, and there is money left over after all is said and done. Eventually, there could be enough money in there that I could afford a hunt like that. But, it won't be anytime soon. In all seriousness, I could move to Alaska before I would have the money saved. After our trip last week, my wife (and I) fell in love with Alaska. She told me on the flight home that she would be willing to buy a place up there "for the summer" and then move up there permanently in 10 or so years. Could just be vacation hang over talking, but I am going to hold her to it!

BRWNBR

WKR
Exactly! Priorities! You have yours and it’s family and other adventures over Sheep. Nothing wrong with that. I’d be the same way!

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Prices will come back down when the economy tanks again I think. Right now the economy is cranking along and has been for awhile so more people have disposable cash and are more comfortable spending it.
This could be our "economy tanking" moment....wonder where 2021/22 prices will settle in. I bet not to much less than where they are at now but who knows.

This could be our "economy tanking" moment....wonder where 2021/22 prices will settle in. I bet not to much less than where they are at now but who knows.

If people’s hunts get buggered up this year with travel restrictions it’ll probably only limit the supply more with rebooks.. I wouldn’t count on prices going down. Especially when many outfitters already have deposit $ in hand for 21/22.

Stalker69

WKR
It’s become a status symbol, and you have to pay to play. It’s all headed that way.

Stalker69

WKR
And when you make it a “ game” or challenge, like the grand slam. It’s a game played to show how much money I have.

I put my deposit down for a 2022 hunt about two weeks before the market "tanked". So now of course I expect prices to come down! Prior to the pandemic I was told by most outfitters that prices would increase for 22/23.

Sure, status symbol may be true for some guys. But the majority of sheep hunters I've met don't fit that category. They are guys that absolutely love the mountains, have some money to spend, and are looking for ways to challenge themselves outside their normal grind. Definitely not the instagram crowd.

Supply and demand drives these prices.

Kotaman

WKR
And when you make it a “ game” or challenge, like the grand slam. It’s a game played to show how much money I have.

I know a bunch of “regular” working guys with “goals” like completing a Grand Slam. Doesn’t have anything to do with how much money they have or don’t have. One of them won two species in raffles, drew one species and bought a Dall Hunt to complete his “Grand Slam”. General statements like you are making are usually one of two things:

1. You’re a tree hugger/anti, posting on a hunting site. OR
2. You’re a very jealous/resentful person.

I set goals for myself and try to accomplish them. I love the mountains and love the challenge a mountain hunt brings in different geographical locations of the world. Sheep hunters are a different breed for sure. Making generalized statements about them shows your ignorance. Sorry for the strong words, but I’m passionate about sheep hunting.

I set goals for myself and try to accomplish them. I love the mountains and love the challenge a mountain hunt brings in different geographical locations of the world. Sheep hunters are a different breed for sure. Making generalized statements about them shows your ignorance. Sorry for the strong words, but I’m passionate about sheep hunting.
You sir sound like a nut case....welcome to my world!:)

HunterEng

FNG
I think one would be surprised if u did a little self reflection on what u spend, set up a td account, put that money in there when u see the fat, and u would be quite surprised how much u would have in 5 yrs. I know I did....I'll be booking my sheep hunt next year during the sheep show

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
For me sheep hunting is the pinnacle of hunting... It's probably the hardest ones to achieve due to where they live, price and chances of drawing a tag in the lower 48. So essentially is a supply and demand cost. It would be nice if it held price wise for a bit though.

SLA

FNG
I’ve gotten to the point I don’t discuss hunt cost in general when In a group setting, say your at a elk banquet, group of guys asking “ man I wish I could do a bighorn hunt, how much did it cost” Funny how that’s always the first question, when you know full well those kind of guys have done research they just won’t commit to what it takes monetarily.
I don’t see any sheep hunt pricing coming down anytime soon, limited resource and geographic areas. Stones are going crazy, but at the sheep show I did notice most desert sheep hunts have held.
Heard a saying once something like, “ Not everyone hears the mountains song, but for those that do the allure is strong”.

Snyd

WKR
I’ve gotten to the point I don’t discuss hunt cost in general when In a group setting, say your at a elk banquet, group of guys asking “ man I wish I could do a bighorn hunt, how much did it cost” Funny how that’s always the first question, when you know full well those kind of guys have done research they just won’t commit to what it takes monetarily.
I don’t see any sheep hunt pricing coming down anytime soon, limited resource and geographic areas. Stones are going crazy, but at the sheep show I did notice most desert sheep hunts have held.
Heard a saying once something like, “ Not everyone hears the mountains song, but for those that do the allure is strong”.

Well, here in Alaska the State doesn't seem to think sheep are a "limited resource" nor do they seem to care much about "geographic areas". The State of AK sells an unlimited number of NR sheep tags annually and there are no guide concession areas on State Land. Ad to that the guide requirement for non-resident hunters and here we are.

SLA

FNG
Well I do agree that AK should not be selling unlimited numbers of sheep tags to nr. I remember hunting Kodiak for bear several years back, all the talk was AK going full on draw for sheep, nothing has changed?
Have always enjoyed your post , good luck this year !

I arrowed 4 rams DIY without guides (3 species) over 37 years from my first sheep tag until I got a Stone ram, I then dug into the savings account to go for a Dall to complete an archery Grand Slam on a hunt up in the NWT, on year 38 after I had my first CO bighorn tag. Anyone that thinks I did it for anything other than than the love of the high country and places sheep live, the personal challenge...the satisfaction of proving to yourself you can do it is wrong. It took a hell of lot of determination to accomplish it. Dall hunt costs have always been about what a Honda Civic costs, from way back in 1980 when they were $5,000 in the NWT to when I went in 2018.

Stalker69

WKR
I know a bunch of “regular” working guys with “goals” like completing a Grand Slam. Doesn’t have anything to do with how much money they have or don’t have. One of them won two species in raffles, drew one species and bought a Dall Hunt to complete his “Grand Slam”. General statements like you are making are usually one of two things:

1. You’re a tree hugger/anti, posting on a hunting site. OR
2. You’re a very jealous/resentful person.

I set goals for myself and try to accomplish them. I love the mountains and love the challenge a mountain hunt brings in different geographical locations of the world. Sheep hunters are a different breed for sure. Making generalized statements about them shows your ignorance. Sorry for the strong words, but I’m passionate about sheep hunting. Not even sure why, how I got to this “ sheep” topic, must have miss clicked or was really bored. I know they have a huge following, just don’t understand it I guess.

Hunted all my life, defiantly not a tree hugger
Don’t care what others do with their money, I have no desire to hunt sheep of any kind. I don’t like eating sheep of any kind , it just is not appealing to me. I would not hunt any sheep even if the hunt was free. And many a sheep hunter don’t eat the meat, and it goes to waste. And I have been to many banquets and fund raisers and know the type, that most sheep hunters fall under. I am in no way jealous/ resentful ( unless you consider not eating the animals, and killing for a trophy only resentful, then yes I am that) Always exceptions,

Last edited:
Hunted all my life, defiantly not a tree hugger
Don’t care what others do with their money, I have no desire to hunt sheep of any kind. I don’t like eating sheep of any kind , it just is not appealing to me. I would not hunt any sheep even if the hunt was free. And many a sheep hunter don’t eat the meat, and it goes to waste. And I have been to many banquets and fund raisers and know the type, that most sheep hunters fall under. I am in no way jealous/ resentful ( unless you consider not eating the animals, and killing for a trophy only resentful, then yes I am that) Always exceptions,

Dall Sheep is the finest game meat in Alaska, bar none (personal opinion of course, but I'd venture a guess many Alaskan's agree with me).

Just saying...