Colorado S-19

I got the call last night that the guy that drew this tag turned it back in. Guess who was #2?

Not me. But it was a friend of mine! He is bummed that he didn't know sooner, but I'm hoping to help him with glassing, packing, and filming.

Anyone have any information they are willing to share on this unit?

OP
Gunnersdad49
Yeah, definitely not clicking on that link!

Anyway, we have some critters located, and are planning on being in position to glass them back up at first light on opening day. I've never been on a sheep hunt before, and the guy with the tag already has a Dall from Alaska on his wall. I think I am more excited than he is.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, definitely not clicking on that link!

Anyway, we have some critters located, and are planning on being in position to glass them back up at first light on opening day. I've never been on a sheep hunt before, and the guy with the tag already has a Dall from Alaska on his wall. I think I am more excited than he is.

Good luck to your buddy!! It should be a fun time. Take lots of pictures!

OP
Gunnersdad49
Well, we spent a few nights above timberline this week, and had to come back to town for food and to make an appearance at the office. We saw 3 rams and a group of about 20 ewes and lambs en-route to his hunting area (sheep units S-1 and S-19).

We put in some miles, did hours upon hours on the glass, and came up with exactly 2 sheep. An ewe and her lamb. We scoured the mountainside for their friends. They have to have friends with them, right? Nothing. They were mid-mountain, and we scoped out every nook, cranny, tree, and patch of cover. Just a momma sheep and her baby.

We had a close encounter with a nice 40-ish inch bull moose, caught a few fish for a shore lunch, rode out a dry-lightening storm, some rain, some frost, but the sheep just didn't cooperate. He is headed up again this weekend to try a little further south.

OP
Gunnersdad49
It turns out that when your 1 man tent won't keep you dry, you can sleep three wide in a Sawtooth!

A little mountain yoga and stretching, a shore lunch, and some scenery.

IMG_0482.jpgIMG_0455.jpgIMG_0467.jpg

Trial153

WKR
Happens quite a bit. I have a friend who got injured rupture his spleen right before his hunt and had to turn his tag in.
Yea, I thought about injury, illness family stuff ect ..after I posted. Shit happens for sure.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Happens quite a bit. I have a friend who got injured rupture his spleen right before his hunt and had to turn his tag in.

Hey Justin, as a moderator, is there anything you can do about LambertOsborne's spam posts about hookers in this thread?

sndmn11

WKR

He turned it in before that because of the fire on Weston. That fire turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the spleen thing happened two weeks or so after that.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Justin, as a moderator, is there anything you can do about LambertOsborne's spam posts about hookers in this thread?

I was skim reading the comments and overlooked the original spam, I got a chuckle out of yours though :D Hooker spam, pretty sure I've it all on the forum now.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
LambertOsborne, you’re banned. Get some help bud, you’re drinking from a fountain that will never quench your thirst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gunnersdad49
Robby, thanks for cleaning that up.

I just got back from 7 days in the wilderness chasing elk, and as I got into cell service, my pal with this sheep tag called and asked me to go with him this weekend to try again. Travel time didn't work out so he went up with another friend. They connected today at 172 yards on a nice ram! I'm so excited for them, and bummed I missed it. I'll post pics if he doesn't mind in the coming days.

OP
Gunnersdad49
IMG_0614.JPGIMG_0615.jpg

He is not big on social media, so he didn't want his face, or landmarks too easy to identify.

The story is that they spotted 3 rams from about 1000 yards. Snuck above and around, and this big old fella was in there hidden in the rocks too. Got him with one round from 172 yards. The other three ran to within 20 yards of his hunting buddy (observer with no tag), who never saw the big ram. He was waving his arms and pointing emphatically at the group of three, assuming the hunter missed. After the confusion cleared, they celebrated, until they realized how far they had to haul this guy out!

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations to your friend ! Beautiful ram ! It’s hard to count in those pictures so ask him how old the ram was please. I’m practicing and I’m seeing 8.5 to 9.5 but it’s tough to tell.