Dalton's first sheep hunt in DCUA

So, after only 3 years of putting, my now 15 year old son Dalton, in for one of the more difficult sheep tags to draw here in Alaska, he scored an early season (Aug. 10 opener), DCUA tag. When the results came out earlier this year I immediately contacted Gary Hall (Mt. Hayes Air), out of Delta Junction and booked a flight into one of the only two strips that you can legally use to access this area. I wanted to get a early jump start, in the hopes of having several days to hike back in prior to season opener. My plan was to leave in the early morning of Aug. 6, make the 6 hour drive to Delta and get flown out in the afternoon, weather permitting. Well, weather didn't permit, so we ended up spending the night in a campground with the hopes of flying out the following day. After spending the morning of the 7th waiting for conditions to improve we were finely able to get airborne that afternoon. Two Super Cub flights and a couple hours later, we were pitching our base camp tent and settling in for the night.
aee8d290704368eb9cb2598462922a79.jpg

b0910f2d4f692170f2bfdf1ea82c925f.jpg

We awoke early the next morning, ate breakfast, and headed out, leaving our base camp pitched and surrounded by an electric bear fence. Our first line of business was to hike the two miles or so over to a glaciated creek and once across the creek, we would be in the DCUA. Knowing that this creek could easily get blown out with heavy rains (which we had almost every day of Aug. up until this time), and become too dangerous to safely wade across, I had asked Luke Moffat if he would loan me one of his pack rafts, which he graciously did (thank you very much Luke and Becca).
e4cbe988ba7d80a83af1dce0f341fcc1.jpg

I initially paddled across the creek, then tied the raft onto the middle of a 100' cord and then tied a rock to one end of the cord and threw it back over to my son (if that makes sense). My son would then put a pack into the raft and I would pull the raft over to my side, unload the pack, and then my son would pull the raft back over to his side for the next pack, and so on. Once all the gear was across the creek, my son jumped in the raft and I pulled him over to my side. This whole process took a little more time than I expected, but it was the safest way of getting across the creek and worked perfectly.
9d5ec933da933be055655c8039a0e799.png

We were only able to make it about 7 miles from our base camp and up into the drainage, but we found a fairly nice spot to pitch our spike camp at 3100' and settled in for the evening. Dalton spotted three rams about 1 1/2 miles further up the drainage from our spike and ended up watching them until we lost light.
7c62f30d11fb05062ed805facba8ef42.jpg

d03e514383acdcf68d5fbfc3215b3031.jpg

ddb4c6cdb7e52b0f1c5cbdf1bf514efb.jpg

Day 3 (Aug. 9), started with continuing up the drainage another 3 miles to a spot that I had originally studied on topo's and what looked like a good place for camp and possibly getting on some sheep for opener. We watched several rams from this local but they were all too far away to determine whether or not they were legal. Some rams were definitely sublegal but a couple that were boarder line, were just too far away to tell for sure. We opted to stay put and not move camp to get a closer inspection since the terrain didn't look all that inviting.
e5177f52a9d3efbd38a6751b6e0ece00.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

Merc

FNG
Subscribing and hoping for a tag filled outcome even though a father son hunt is a success no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome man, excited to hear about the rest. I like the look of that shelter too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I cannot fathom being 15 years old, living in Alaska, and going sheep hunting with my Dad. You guys have it good! I’m subscribed as well, looking forward to all this adventure has in store.

Count me IN for this adventure. I can almost hear the rocks crunching under boots.

mherne8

FNG
This is truly awesome! Can’t wait to see the rest. I’m trying to get stationed in Alaska only because the only way I’ll be able to experience this type of adventure is if I’m living there!!!

OP
AK Troutbum
Day 4 (Aug 10 opener!) awoke to an almost bluebird day with barely a cloud in the sky and just a slight warm breeze out of the south. This was to be the first day in August that we wouldn’t see rain, finally! After some biscuits and gravy we rustled our gear together and headed further up the drainage towards a saddle that separated our drainage and the next drainage to our east. Immediately upon coming to the top of the knife ridge saddle and peaking over, we spot a ewe and ram that appears to almost be full curl. They were standing about 20 yards away and instantly had us busted but they didn’t see enough of us to determine what we were, so they appeared more interested than nervous.
e6baf9811e32789a8f07d7ab3ad71c81.jpg

b7b6d4a6eb8122cd5f27e83f42a06481.jpg

Further on up the ridge line, and in the next drainage over, we could see multiple ewes, lambs, and smaller sub legal rams. We found a good spot to set up and do some glassing/digiscoping that only left us exposed to those sheep but allowed concealment from a couple rams that appeared to be legal. Although legal, these rams were about 3/4 of a mile away and in a spot that made it impossible to put a stalk on without being instantly busted. We decided to sit tight, enjoy the weather, eat blueberries, and watch these guys in the hopes that they would eventually move into a better position.
75c627237eb41deb3692f6ec794319f8.jpg

5abf7e29f6a304777c3f1f4e69a97c93.jpg

0957f4775948062a6da6e78d52798cb4.jpg

We ended up doing this all day long and these two rams never moved other than the occasional get up, walk around in little circles, feed, then bed back down. No opening day ram for us but we were fine with that since we had at least one more week to explore this area, and the weather was finally changing for the better. That evening, while we were eating dinner, this little cow caribou paid us a visit. She seemed to be pretty interested in our camp and walked up to within about 50 yards before wandering off.
bddd0cb1804badb043c60ea3d53f2cf7.jpg

4beedafb7a89643d042b202b6d95252b.jpg

Day 5 (Aug 11), and weather wise, an exact copy cat, if not better, than the previous day. We initially headed back up into the saddle to see what things looked like on the other side and saw nothing. It appeared that all the sheep that were there yesterday had now moved to greener pastures. We left the saddle and continued on up into the drainage heading towards the glacier that fed our creek. Two miles up the drainage we spot a nice ram feeding approx. 550 yards away and a little above us. As far as I can tell he is definitely broomed on one side and possibly broomed on the other. When we initially spotted this ram we were caught out in the open, so we quickly ducked behind the nearest rock in the hopes that he didn’t see us. It appeared that we were successful, as he continued to feed and eventually laid down on an outcropping. The only problem with this was the fact that we were now pinned down behind this rock with no way of getting any closer to him without exposing ourselves.
43b1506524b1f9d6f25f26e460e8df84.jpg

Sorry guys, I’m not intentionally trying to drag this out but I have a lot going on right now with work, kids school starting today, etc.

More to come...

OP
AK Troutbum
I cannot fathom being 15 years old, living in Alaska, and going sheep hunting with my Dad.
You and me both Steve! I grew up in NorCal and until I was 21, the closest I ever came to hunting AK was the articles I read in Field & Stream.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am so excited to hear you guys had some decent weather, and glad the packraft was a help. Can't wait to read more!