Dall Sheep - Nine Days of Fun

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a 15 yr resident of AK and a DIY hunter including dall sheep. I’ve used my ATV to begin numerous sheep hunts where I then hike many, many miles to ram country as did Randy and the crew. Your post had nothing to offer and came across as negative. Go to the other forums to post negativity and criticism...we don’t need it here.

I didn't attack anyone. Please show me where that occurred. Saying that I don't believe this is a true representation of a backpack sheep hunt is not negativity just because it differs from your view of a backpack hunt. I enjoyed the series but disagree with some people's assessment of it.

Hi everyone, sorry for joining this discussion late, I've become in-active here on Rokslide as of late, time to change that I think.

I am the registered guide for this hunt and my son Branson was the assistant guide. I wanted to address the criticism that this hunt was not a true backpacking sheep hunt. Yes we did use ATV's but we still had to hike in 8 more miles just to get to where we started hunting. The main reason we hired Jace and Josh to pack was because of all the heavy camera gear. And just because they set up a base camp does not mean that it wasn't a legitimate backpack hunt either. In fact, the base camp made it more work in many ways because they/we had a long way to hike back to camp each night.

This hunt was as close to a DIY Alaska sheep hunt as a non-resident could legally get (except for maybe those who hunt under the 2nd degree kindred rule). This was our first year guiding in this area so we didn't have a ton of information about how the sheep would behave once the hunt started. Also, even though Branson has many years of hunting sheep and packing experience, this was his first ever hunt he guided. I can tell you that Branson did not, nor did I, micromanage the hunt or tell these guys every move to make, that is not our personality nor is that our guiding philosophy. Mistakes were made by the guides and the clients. But in spite of it all, they overcame the challenges and made it happen. So it was a team effort in most ways.

I have been on many personal backpack sheep hunts and I can attest that this was a true grueling hunt that not many people are capable of pulling off. Sometimes we Alaskans get a superiority complex and think that others can't do what we do every year. I can attest that my clients this year proved that they are capable of a true Alaskan backpack sheep hunt. Hats off to Randy as he persevered through sickness to get it done. And Marcus... what a stud! I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about this hunt or other hunts we guided this year.

Thanks!
Eric Lee