Dall Sheep - Nine Days of Fun

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Last month I was lucky to fulfill a forty-year dream; a Dall Sheep hunt. I had offered it to some friends, as all our episodes are self-guided public land hunting. They all declined and told me I was crazy to not take an offer like this. Eventually, I decided it was a once-in-a--lifetime opportunity and I would explain to the audience that there are some dream hunts where as a non-resident you need to hire a guide, by law, and this was one of them.

This offer was made to us by Eric Lee of Alaska Adventures Services. He asked us to film it and air it on our platforms. If not for their request and generosity, this dream would still be just that, a dream.

Here is Part 1 of 9 days of sheep hunting the wilds of Alaska. An OTC backpack hunt with plenty of ups and downs (literally and figuratively), as is the case with all hunts, and as I learned, even more the case with backpack Dall Sheep hunts.

We will post a new clip every day until all nine are posted.

[video=youtube_share;oXPx61JnD20]https://youtu.be/oXPx61JnD20[/video]

Thanks for watching.

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Day 2 - Time to get to camp and start locating some sheep. Season opens tomorrow.

[video=youtube_share;BdY6ew4_kFA]https://youtu.be/BdY6ew4_kFA[/video]

Jimbob

WKR
First the gritty films coming out now this, thank you Randy. I like this style of releasing parts one at a time. Also breaking it up into these sections allows me to enjoy some more of the mundane parts of the hunt. I feel like it is a better story of the hunt and it is still entertaining.

WJS23

WKR
I watched the first two videos to day at work! Can’t wait to watch the rest

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Having to count rings when nothing is obviously full curl is not only nerve racking, but sometimes the outcome sucks. One of these Rams should have gotten a ride back to camp. Marcus' language was better than mine, so we used his audio.

Part 3 below.

[video=youtube_share;SyPSs4iozWY]https://youtu.be/SyPSs4iozWY[/video]

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Ugggg! Torturing us with only 3 of the videos. Lol. Can't wait to watch the rest of them.

Very much enjoying the series. Man, so far it looks like you guys enjoyed some really nice weather, that in itself is a major bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
Enjoying the hunt, as a "seasoned" hunter myself, I can relate to the challenges sheep hunts require.

Jimbob

WKR
Oh man.
On my sheep this year I was 100% sure he was at least 8 by counting rings, he stood up but laid down again before I could get from spotter to gun. Then the midday heat came in and I couldn't count rings and was second guessing myself. If he would have got up right then I probably wouldn't have shot, he would have got away. Instead the clouds came and watched him for a few more hours and was sure of his age. I watched my ram for a total of 6 hours, it took a good chunk of time for this rookie to confirm he was legal.

I could only imagine what it would have felt like to watch those walk away and everyone trying to communicate clearly.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
First the gritty films coming out now this, thank you Randy. I like this style of releasing parts one at a time. Also breaking it up into these sections allows me to enjoy some more of the mundane parts of the hunt. I feel like it is a better story of the hunt and it is still entertaining.

I agree with this ^^^^^^^totally. Love the format.

Randy

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Time to relocate the rams from yesterday. Once we got the images from yesterday loaded to the camera, the biggest one had 10 rings.

Part 4 is live at the link below.

[video=youtube_share;kcmYnMwnXo0]https://youtu.be/kcmYnMwnXo0[/video]

Russp17

WKR
Time to relocate the rams from yesterday. Once we got the images from yesterday loaded to the camera, the biggest one had 10 rings.

Part 4 is live at the link below.

[video=youtube_share;kcmYnMwnXo0]https://youtu.be/kcmYnMwnXo0[/video]

Really enjoying the hunt!

For learning purposes, would love to see a picture and illustration of the rings counted if you (or someone) gets a chance. EDIT: never mind, just came across the excellent sheep judging tutorial on the AK game and fish website.

Been looking forward to this since you mentioned you were going to do a Dall hunt and it is not disappointing!

Last edited: