So you got your ram, now it is time to eat...

Sobie2

FNG
Post your recipes for eating tasty sheep at home please!

Me and my partner got our 1st ram last week and want to honor this Mountain Monarch with each meal....

ef5b1e7984968facddf17bd032411c72.jpg

5ce8d89f2ec24f8c49dff4462db977e9.jpg

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
Back straps in a cast iron pan were amazing. Lots of butter and olive oil in the pan, season steaks with salt and pepper. A good sear on the steak and cook medium rare.

Sheep stew was also awesome, best stew I have had yet. If cooking in a crock pot do not brown meat first. My wife has done this in the past and then cooking all day in the crock pot left the meat dried out. Meat, veggies, and gravy in the crock pot and cook all day. Perfectly tender and excellent flavour.

Stid2677

WKR
Blue cheese and bacon really bring out the flavor in a thick sheep burger.

oYFjyomh.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
This is my "special Occasion" meal. Sheep Backstrap wrapped in bacon served with a wild blue berry sauce and nice red wine.

qgfaErGh.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
What's the recipe for the blueberry sauce?

Savory Balsamic Blueberry Sauce.

It's an easy recipe that incorporates all those beautiful blueberries that are readily available in the summer.
Servings 4 people
Author Heather Blake
Ingredients
For the Balsamic Blueberry Sauce
• 2 tablespoons butter, divided
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 cup minced shallots
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 2 cups fresh blueberries
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt one tablespoon of butter with the olive oil. Add the shallots, garlic, and rosemary and saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add the honey, salt, pepper and, blueberries. Stir in the balsamic vinegar. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or so until the blueberries begin to soften and the sauce begins to reduce. (if using the browned meat version, add the meat to the pan at this point).
3. Add the remaining one tablespoon of butter and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Serve the sauce hot over meat.

Stid2677

WKR
Sheep fat has a unique flavor, I like to keep enough to give the grind a good mouth feel, a course grind gives it a nice bite. When I make sheep sliders, I roll the meat out thin, quick sear and cover in cheese. Then onto fresh Hawaiian Jalapeno dinner rolls.

yWltj18h.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
We really like this recipe with all game meat.

Mongolian Meat

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
vegetable oil, for frying (about 1 cup)
1 lb Game steak
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 large green onions, sliced on the diagonal into one-inch lengths

Directions:

Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over med/low heat.
Don't get the oil too hot.

Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches. Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.

Remove it from the heat. Slice the meat against the grain into 1/4" thick bite-size slices Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of meat. Let the meat sit for about 15 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.

As the meat sits, heat up one cup of oil in a non stick pan. Heat the oil over medium heat until it's nice and hot, but not smoking.

Add the meat to the oil and sauté for just two minutes, or until the meat just begins to darken on the edges.

You don't need a thorough cooking here since the meat is going to go back on the heat later.

Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly.

After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil out of the wok or skillet.

Put the pan back over the heat, dump the meat back into it and simmer for one minute.

Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, add all the green onions.

Cook for one more minute, remove the meat and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate.

Serve over fresh rice, topped with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.

pYhtDrzh.jpg

Only way I had it was seasoned with salt, pepper and Montreal steak seasoning and cooked in cast iron skillet with lard over an open fire. Only had "steaks" cut from a hind quarter. A little chewy but stinking awesome. Unfortunately had to leave rest of the meat there in order to make my flights after being weathered in. Pretty bummed but gives me all the more reason to go back.

Stid2677

WKR
This is my sheep spin on 2 recipes,, Taco Salad and Shepherds Pie. I make mashed potatoes and use these to make the crust, spread them onto a pie pan and bake until brown, I then top with sheep meat browned in some taco spice with onions and chilis and a touch of tomato paste. Top off with fresh veggies, avocado, sour cream etc....

bY8g6QMh.jpg

Sheep fat has a unique flavor, I like to keep enough to give the grind a good mouth feel, a course grind gives it a nice bite. When I make sheep sliders, I roll the meat out thin, quick sear and cover in cheese. Then onto fresh Hawaiian Jalapeno dinner rolls.

yWltj18h.jpg

This is a pretty cruel post with the afternoon growl setting in. Not sure what to think of the Spiderman plate though ;)

This is my sheep spin on 2 recipes,, Taco Salad and Shepherds Pie. I make mashed potatoes and use these to make the crust, spread them onto a pie pan and bake until brown, I then top with sheep meat browned in some taco spice with onions and chilis and a touch of tomato paste. Top off with fresh veggies, avocado, sour cream etc....

bY8g6QMh.jpg

Now your just rubbing it in :cool: Might just have to try this one tonight with some axis deer.

OP
S

Sobie2

FNG
Tonight we had Sheep—kababs. Marinate sheep in teriyaki and Montreal Steak seasoning, then assemble your skewers and coat with BBQ sauce, 400 deg for 25 minutes.

03241b3c23cc2cc71a58ce1eeecba9ba.jpg

Sobie2

Savory Balsamic Blueberry Sauce.

It's an easy recipe that incorporates all those beautiful blueberries that are readily available in the summer.
Servings 4 people
Author Heather Blake
Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons butter, divided
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 cup minced shallots
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 2 cups fresh blueberries
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt one tablespoon of butter with the olive oil. Add the shallots, garlic, and rosemary and saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add the honey, salt, pepper and, blueberries. Stir in the balsamic vinegar. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or so until the blueberries begin to soften and the sauce begins to reduce. (if using the browned meat version, add the meat to the pan at this point).
3. Add the remaining one tablespoon of butter and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Serve the sauce hot over meat.
We had this last night and had our neighbors over. It was a big hit, thank you!
5895e46bae2aa5ce5e7b665e7351d92d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
Sheep is one of those meats that don’t need a lot to make it a lot. Stids food shots look awesome. But I’ll be honest, only time I put a veggie or bread next to Sheep meat is if we make a stew outa trimmings or a cold Sheep roast sandwich. Save all those extras for moose meat it needs the help, Sheep can stand alone!

We grilled whole backstrap last night with a simple store bought rub. Amazing.

In the field I pull stomach fat, render it down in the jet boil, thin slice the tender or straps and drop them in the fat to cook. Light salt or any seasoning you like and it’s amazing.

We like to eat a lot of roasts so we usually try to get as many of those off of our sheep as possible. It’s what were eating tonight.
4c3c59fd8137e9e4807259b355dfbfe1.jpg

5b20e5454f2f3913cb6e60a44f2e6bde.jpg

Last edited: