dall sheep hunters...what range?

BRWNBR

WKR
Farthest has been 450 closest has been 50. Most the rest where between 200-350.

Jimss

WKR
First ram 150 yards, 2nd ram 48 yards. My brother in laws were 250 and 80 yards.

Stid2677

WKR
If I were new to sheep hunting and going on a hunt, I would want a rifle/scope combo that I could shoot out to 500 yards. I would choose a caliber and rifle that would allow me to stay in the scope and see my impacts. I would mount the scope to allow as much eye relief as possible and would try to practice shooting at extreme uphill targets from a prone or kneeling shooting position. Would also add some realism if you were to do something to get your breathing and heart rate up, since many of the sheep I have shot were killed after a hard climb or rushed movement.

Shot opportunities in sheep hunting can happen and disappear quickly. Being able to use your gear under stress can mean the difference in filling a tag or not.

Kotaman

WKR
If I were new to sheep hunting and going on a hunt, I would want a rifle/scope combo that I could shoot out to 500 yards. I would choose a caliber and rifle that would allow me to stay in the scope and see my impacts. I would mount the scope to allow as much eye relief as possible and would try to practice shooting at extreme uphill targets from a prone or kneeling shooting position. Would also add some realism if you were to do something to get your breathing and heart rate up, since many of the sheep I have shot were killed after a hard climb or rushed movement.

Shot opportunities in sheep hunting can happen and disappear quickly. Being able to use your gear under stress can mean the difference in filling a tag or not.

This...

Mine are 457 and 124

This and one of the reasons I got a 6.5 creedmoor vs. using my .300 WSM. I just struggle too much to return to target on recoil of the .300.

Mine was 225 yds

daddie63

WKR
Any examples stid2677? Im thinking with your experience your choices would be good info. Thanks

Stid2677

WKR
Any examples stid2677? Im thinking with your experience your choices would be good info. Thanks

The OP was asking about distance and not really any choices other than when to shoot. I have seen them shot closest at 137 and farthest at 525 with the majority being around 300.

duchntr

WKR
Mine were 190 and 50 yds. Furthest I've seen tipped over was 600 on a windless day. Biggest thing I see overlooked or not practiced enough is shooting in the wind so get your wind holds down.

Of the ones I've taken or witnessed:

Three taken at <100 yds. None of the close ones were ranged. Hey, close is close.

Three more were taken at 156, 215, and 400 as near as I can recall.

I'd bet hunting style and stalk from above vs below has a lot to do with the average ranges. My stalks from above have been harder plays but ended closer on average.